• '16

A&A Guadalcanal:

Krieghund, thanks much for your response to my questions regarding advantage tokens. Here’s a couple more:

1. Loss of Cargo: In Phase 2 Combat section of rulebook it states “If a transport or destroyer gets hit, the units and supply tokens it was carrying are destroyed.” Can you confirm that this remains true for a resilience hit on destroyer (damaged only)?

2. Fighters on Carrier: Are fighters considered “cargo” if they did not move off the carrier during their movement turn? As such, they do not participate in Attack Air Units and Attack Sea Units phases of combat? Or, are they always considered flying in the same sea zone as carrier, and will participate in Attack Air Units and Attack Sea Units phases of combat, even if the player leaves them physically on the ship?

The Loss of Cargo section states that if a carrier gets hit, then the fighters stay in the sea zone and need to find a place to land during regroup phase. This implies that they are cargo at that time (or was it written to speak only to sub attack?).

1. Submarine hits Carrier w/Fighters: The FAQ states that if a sub hits a carrier, then the fighters have a chance to land because they are considered in the air during the attack. But it does not clarify when they land.

The order of Phase 1 unit movement has subs move and attack before fighters have had their movement turn. Do the fighters with carrier shot out by submarine land during the sub’s move/attack turn, then begin their own movement turn from that position (or perish during sub’s turn if they cannot land)? Or do the fighters begin their movement from the sea zone where carrier was sunk, in which case the chance to land occurs during regroup phase, similar to Loss of Cargo discussion.

I presume that the definitiveness of the Loss of Cargo statement means that the cargo on a destroyer is lost no matter what type of hit. That’s just kinda real world weird, though might make game sense, so begs confirmation. By the same token, very definitive language regarding fighters staying in sea zone if carrier damaged. Seems when it’s a resilience hit everything gets chunked off the boat. Planes fly, and land units and supply tokens sink.

As always, thanks for your help clarifying these minutiae and documenting for posterity. :-)

• Official Q&A

@SundownKid:

Krieghund, thanks much for your response to my questions regarding advantage tokens. Here’s a couple more:

1. Loss of Cargo: In Phase 2 Combat section of rulebook it states “If a transport or destroyer gets hit, the units and supply tokens it was carrying are destroyed.” Can you confirm that this remains true for a resilience hit on destroyer (damaged only)?

Yes.

@SundownKid:

1. Fighters on Carrier: Are fighters considered “cargo” if they did not move off the carrier during their movement turn? As such, they do not participate in Attack Air Units and Attack Sea Units phases of combat? Or, are they always considered flying in the same sea zone as carrier, and will participate in Attack Air Units and Attack Sea Units phases of combat, even if the player leaves them physically on the ship?

Fighters are always considered to be in the air as soon as the Move aircraft carriers step of the Movement phase is over.  They remain in the air until they land the Regroup phase.  This is true whether or not they actually move from the sea zone containing their carrier.  As a result, they always participate in combat (when applicable) and are never considered to be cargo during combat.

@SundownKid:

The Loss of Cargo section states that if a carrier gets hit, then the fighters stay in the sea zone and need to find a place to land during regroup phase. This implies that they are cargo at that time (or was it written to speak only to sub attack?).

It implies that they are not cargo, as they are not lost as cargo would be.

@SundownKid:

1. Submarine hits Carrier w/Fighters: The FAQ states that if a sub hits a carrier, then the fighters have a chance to land because they are considered in the air during the attack. But it does not clarify when they land.

The order of Phase 1 unit movement has subs move and attack before fighters have had their movement turn. Do the fighters with carrier shot out by submarine land during the sub’s move/attack turn, then begin their own movement turn from that position (or perish during sub’s turn if they cannot land)? Or do the fighters begin their movement from the sea zone where carrier was sunk, in which case the chance to land occurs during regroup phase, similar to Loss of Cargo discussion.

They remain in the air and move normally during their Movement step and/or the Regroup phase.

@SundownKid:

As always, thanks for your help clarifying these minutiae and documenting for posterity. :-)

You’re welcome.

• '16

@Krieghund:

It implies that they are not cargo, as they are not lost as cargo would be.

Oh, ya, I guess it does. :-)

My impression of that sentence was that it intended to speak to fighters on the deck of the carrier (which led to all that other rigamarole I asked about). Didn’t feel to me that fighters in the air in same sea zone as carrier during Combat phase would need mention of the carrier being sunk at that time. But your adjust of my focus provides clarity. Thank you, Krieghund! Your presence here makes our gaming experience better. Take care.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m