• @Cmdr:

@450thMSAF:

i need something to do with italy though they just ……SIT THERE

Yes, I generally have a strategic bomber or two for Italy primarily to clear SZ 104.  I’m crazy.  Ask anyone. ^_^  I just nailed India in a game because France forgot to declare war.  They were in a blocking position, but they had never been attacked by Japan and never had declared war on Japan so I could ignore them.  Crazy works (sometimes.)

Really?? That is ridiculous. If someone forgets to declare war we consider it automatic. Like if the US happened to formally forget to on turn 3, we play its automatic, b/c really, why wouldn’t they? Its a no-brainer, axis are at war with allies.

• Sponsor

We play it automatic, but I always announce my declarations of war because I like the formality of it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Young:

We play it automatic, but I always announce my declarations of war because I like the formality of it.

Automatic is a house rule.  The rules specifically state that a nation MUST declare war to be at war.  It is assumed that they will declare war and it is stated that if you are attacked, then a de facto state of war exists, but in this case, France was never attacked and never attacked as we are talking the Pacific and Japan, France and Japan were neutral nations and the rules of neutrality applied.

Considering that the game is on Battlemap and the war field specifically did not state that there was war between the two nations AND I NEVER take the FIC with Japan (so England can never collect for it) we ran into a unique situation where both parties assumed France was at war, when it really was not.

One way to solve this is to have France declare war on round 1.  It may be the only functionable action they have on round 1.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

@Young:

Automatic is a house rule.  The rules specifically state that a nation MUST declare war to be at war.   It is assumed that they will declare war and it is stated that if you are attacked, then a de facto state of war exists, but in this case, France was never attacked and never attacked as we are talking the Pacific and Japan, France and Japan were neutral nations and the rules of neutrality applied.

Considering that the game is on Battlemap and the war field specifically did not state that there was war between the two nations AND I NEVER take the FIC with Japan (so England can never collect for it) we ran into a unique situation where both parties assumed France was at war, when it really was not.

One way to solve this is to have France declare war on round 1.  It may be the only functionable action they have on round 1.

I think it’s funny how some nations can make unprovoked attacks and other nations MUST declare war. Just one of the things that make a simple game difficult IMO.

• I understand it was technically legal, but its the spirit of the law not the letter. Call it a gentlemen’s agreement or whatever. Its similiar to someone forgetting to place their new units or forgetting to return their aircraft back or repair a battleship until midway through the next turn. We always just let one another b/c its reasonable to do so. Plus, if they forget and I dont let them, then they are not going to let me when I forget. Call it good sportsmanship  :wink:

No forgetting to place your units is completely different.  Placing your units is a mandatory part of your turn.

It is more akin to forgetting to attack 2 Strategic Bombers that are undefended.

However, the game should have a player’s agreement that if your opponent leaves a capitol or expensive units open to crushing attack you warn them, they should also have one regarding the French Destroyer and declaring war.  No one ever thinks of declaring war with the French.

• I never have.

• Sponsor

I would never warn my opponent if he left a capital open or all his planes vulnerable in one territory, or 10 transports left in a sea zone where 1 enemy sub can wipe them out. To me, that’s just taking advantage of mistakes and seeing as I take great effort in minimizing my mistakes, I don’t see why I should help my opponent minimize his. If I were playing chess and I left my queen where a pawn could take it, I’m positive that my opponent won’t give me a take back, and I wouldn’t expect one. The only rule on this that I see in the rule book is concerning convoy disruptions as it is up to every player to point out convoy disruptions even if they are against your own power. But I’m not going to tell the Japanese that they have an opportunity to use kamikaze on my fleet. After I win, I might say “why didn’t you use kamikaze on me there” just to see the anguish on his face because Japan has surrendered being pushed back to Tokyo, and he still has all 6 kamikaze tokens in his tray.

• there is no rule in rulebook that says i can take i once had to say to one of my friends  :evil:

• Sponsor

@450thMSAF:

there is no rule in rulebook that says i can take i once had to say to one of my friends  :evil:

I can’t make sense of this comment.

• But winning a game just because of one terrible fault of your opponent wouldn’t be very nice and satisfying. Giving hints is part of a fair game for Gentlemen (and Ladies @Jenn), at least in my group…

• he left homeland germany to go to russia and wanted a “Redo”

• Sponsor

@Andi:

But winning a game just because of one terrible fault of your opponent wouldn’t be very nice and satisfying. Giving hints is part of a fair game for Gentlemen (and Ladies @Jenn), at least in my group…

Don’t get me wrong, I am very forgiving. If you forget to buy units no problem, if you forget to place your new units or even want to change your purchase half way through your turn, no problem. If you forget to collect your money, national objectives or even want to do your non- combat moves while your doing combat move phase, go right ahead. I even remind my opponents of lots of things that they forget to do or say “are you sure you want to leave that there” when I am not obligated to do so. However, let’s not forget this is a war and the only thing I don’t forgive is if players try to make a combat move after they have rolled a battle in conduct combat. That said, I have never had an opponent complain “why didn’t you tell me that I screwed up” and turn their mistakes on me. My point is, even though it doesn’t sound like it, I am a very fair player. All I’m saying is, I draw lines, and if you can’t minimize your own mistakes, how is that my fault.

• Although my friends and I play for a clear victory, we do indeed think that there is no point in seizing it by profiting by someone’s obvious inattention or simply forgetting to do something.

Indeed, whenever one of us is about to make something extraordinarily stupid, he will systematically be warned.

Also we often ask each other questions like “we agree that no planes can reach those transports”, or the such. It is so easy not to see a sneaky fighter hidden in the middle of a stack of 35 other units.

In short, we believe that there is nothing like a sound victory, stemming from superior-strategy, over the opponent’s absent-mindedness.

• Sponsor

I will make a thread arguing this point.

Wait, don’t be confused here, even exploiting this oversite of my opponent (after he killed two of my strategic bombers much earlier because I forgot to block one avenue of attack) is not going to change the outcome of the battle.  He has two dozen infantry and a score of tanks to liberate with.  It was just interesting, and I felt, it would be a public service to remind you boys (men) to make sure you are at war before trying to block an attack with a piece.

@captainhook:

Although my friends and I play for a clear victory, we do indeed think that there is no point in seizing it by profiting by someone’s obvious inattention or simply forgetting to do something.

Indeed, whenever one of us is about to make something extraordinarily stupid, he will systematically be warned.

Also we often ask each other questions like “we agree that no planes can reach those transports”, or the such. It is so easy not to see a sneaky fighter hidden in the middle of a stack of 35 other units.

In short, we believe that there is nothing like a sound victory, stemming from superior-strategy, over the opponent’s absent-mindedness.

Keep in mind it is perfectly legal to attack 17 loaded carriers with 1 submarine and assume the submarine will win, allowing your planes to reach transports you think are safe.

• Sponsor

Cmdr Jen, this topic has kinda morphed into a friendly argument about game ethics. I would like to hear your opinion in the thread I created on this topic called, “how much should be forgiven?”

• @JimmyHat:

@Razor:

you invade UK and next turn you bombard the Naval Base and Airbase in Gibraltar to ruins. Since you now control UK, they cant repair this bases, so the US units that land in Gibraltar turn 4 will get less range.

!!!  OMG

I’ve been so concerned with Gibraltar as Germany that I am shucking units there, putting an AA gun and leaving my fleet there.

With this move I can leave my ships to fight against Russia and just bomb Gibraltar!  Amazing, its little moves like this that some people see as common sense and others miss entirely.

What stops America from building a naval base in either Morocco, Rio de oro, Spain, or Portugal? If the enemy forces you to attack neutrals, do it. You need the threat that moving 3 spaces affords the US. Dropping your land units in Spain each round, means you only need 2 transport fleets as the US consisting of 9 transports each. If the axis are stacked well in Gibraltar or French areas, stage a round or two In Portugal, then move in force, this saves the number of transports you need to build. The US only needs to spend 60 IPCs on land units (12 inf, 6 art) a round, other IPCs can go towards fleet or air units. 18 units landed in Portugal, then 18 + Portugal move into Spain, if they are smashed, you now have 18 more that can counter attack plus carrier planes…If its suicide, wait one more turn in Portugal (36 units) then move and land 54 units in Spain. If the Axis almost have 8 cities, you are only 2 turns from France which you can trade to keep the game going in an emergency Walking from Spain to Southern France threatens Northern Italy and France at the same time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m