• '12

Hey Hobbes, thanks again for posting those saved games.  I finally got tripleA to work and was reviewing the save file FE.tsvg  I was reviewing Germany2 specifically the attack on the navy in Sz2.  It seemed like the US fighters didn’t defend after the first round of combat.  In round 2 your sub hit and sinks the Brit CV leaving the 2 US fighters and Brit transport.  Your planes seemed to roll according to low luck but in that one instance, there seemed to be no rolls for the American fighters.  Now during non-combat there was a line “1 fighter could not land in 2 Sea Zone and was removed” that fighter being a german fighter.

Is this just an artifact/bug in viewing game history?  I’m guessing in the battle you did take a hit due to a defense of 8, and the low luck roll of 2 missed, then the next round a low luck roll of 4 missed for the US?

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Hey Hobbes, thanks again for posting those saved games.  I finally got tripleA to work and was reviewing the save file FE.tsvg  I was reviewing Germany2 specifically the attack on the navy in Sz2.  It seemed like the US fighters didn’t defend after the first round of combat.  In round 2 your sub hit and sinks the Brit CV leaving the 2 US fighters and Brit transport.  Your planes seemed to roll according to low luck but in that one instance, there seemed to be no rolls for the American fighters.  Now during non-combat there was a line “1 fighter could not land in 2 Sea Zone and was removed” that fighter being a german fighter.

Is this just an artifact/bug in viewing game history?  I’m guessing in the battle you did take a hit due to a defense of 8, and the low luck roll of 2 missed, then the next round a low luck roll of 4 missed for the US?

The 2 US fighters were a bug. We agreed to kill the German fighter as a fix.

• '12

I see, thanks.  Do bugs like that occur often?  Did you file a bug report?

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

I see, thanks.  Do bugs like that occur often?  Did you file a bug report?

That bug has already been reported, although they didn’t seem to fix it for this version.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

You can play here using Play by Forum, but many of the best players only play using TripleA.  I have yet to use TripleA but I understand that games are faster to play that way.  Play by forum requires a fair bit of verbiage to list out your moves.

One test to hand in?  When you hand stuff in, isn’t that called homework?  Thank goodness you don’t have kids or a full time job!  I dunno how family people find the time to play at all!

I have a full time job. The test is for the job. No kids though. But regardless, one game of A&A is a huge time commitment. I don’t like the sound of play by forum. I wish gametableonline was free. I enjoyed it when it was on Facebook.

• '12

I’ve done a few play by forum, it’s not too bad if you can copy and paste and remember to update the copy and paste!  I just reviewed a few games here, looked at how they player laid out their turn.  For the most part you can create a template and just fill in the blanks.

The dice roller works well, there is a thread on how to use it and a forum thread so you can do test rolls.  The game takes longer but it has some advantages.  It does allow you to think too long and/or obsess about your turn.  There is no rule enforcement but its not really needed here in that everyone seems very fair and honest and it’s unlikely anyone would miss fighters moving 5 spaces!

• Have any of you tried to play at gametableonline?
    There is a small activation fee and it costs a few cents to play by e-mail, but I pay happily, since I find it working quite well.

There is also some very good players around.

• '16 '15 '10

GTO PBE is a great service….I certainly have made liberal use of it.  But there’s also a more obscure and even easier way to play online (for free) and that is using TripleA to play by forum.

Here’s an example of a recent (aa50) game played in this style.  The difference is with AA42 there ‘shouldn’t’ be any bugs in the post-turn summaries since play-by-forum was designed for Revised and AA42 is so similar.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23248.0

To set up your game, all you have to do is put the url (in this case 23248) into the URL box in the PBEM screen, and turn on “post save game file” and “post turn summary”, and input the relevant email addresses so all sides receive dice emails.  From then on, it’s all gameplay.  The entire process is automated, so it cuts out the traditional step of having to email your game to your opponent.  Playing this way, you come to the forum, open the file from the forum and your turn (save file and summary) is posted automatically when you are done.

It’s just as convenient as GTO’s PBE but with the save/edit/game history that TripleA has to offer.

Please give it a try…we need to test play-by-forum and make sure it will run bug-free.  I’ll play a test game if anyone is down.

• '12

As soon as I finish my test in mid August I’m getting AAA and making it a priority to test this strat (ie end this charade).

Is it mid-August yet?

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

As soon as I finish my test in mid August I’m getting AAA and making it a priority to test this strat (ie end this charade).

Is it mid-August yet?

Ooohhhh. You’re right! The heat is on! Will Fortress Europe fall? Will this thread end? Will we see the rise of Allied bid?

Stay tuned…

• @coorran:

@MrMalachiCrunch:

Is it mid-August yet?

Ooohhhh. You’re right! The heat is on! Will Fortress Europe fall? Will this thread end? Will we see the rise of Allied bid?

Stay tuned…

Fortress Europe is a massive conspiracy designed to make you think you can win with the Axis… ;)

• Yes it is and I’m even more certain it won’t work. My final is a lot closer than I thought. Sept. 24 so it’ll have to wait til after that.

• '12

Your final, the one you get to take home then hand in for work……is now closer than it was…which was in mid-August…so being much closer it is now Sept 24.  There is an old saying, if you talk the talk, walk the walk.  It didn’t say anything about back-pedaling.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Your final, the one you get to take home then hand in for work……is now closer than it was…which was in mid-August…so being much closer it is now Sept 24.  There is an old saying, if you talk the talk, walk the walk.  It didn’t say anything about back-pedaling.

The one in August was the last of the modules, an open book test. The one at the end of Sept is my final to get my certification. If I didn’t have plans on following through, wouldn’t I just ignore this thread?

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We have also a saying: “He who does not want to knead bread, is sieving grain for 10 days”. I suppose throwing hay in the air is easier than acctually punching the dough.  :wink:

• '12

Well we wouldn’t want you to take time out from studying for an open book test you do at home now would we.  Go back to sieving grain….I mean studying by all means!

• The final is not open book. My A&A night is reserved for face to face games until then. I won’t have time for an online one until after Sep. 24. Glad you guys are still interested but you’re going to have to wait a month so you can stop acting like you’ve won some sort of victory and save your gloating for the possibilty I fail to defeat Fortress Europe.

• That loss is only a formality :)
    You can also play PBEM if you want no obligation to play live. You could play at your own pace.

• I’d rather play live. This play by email/forum doesn’t sound like fun.

• I have to say that “I accept the challenge only I am really busy for the next month, yeah I also was too busy last month.” is and will always be a classic excuse :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m