Operation Hollywood : Flying the Japanese Air Force off the coast of Gilbraltar

• @Commando:

Landing on Gibraltar does not automatically bring the US into the war. It only allows the US to declare war.

Close enough

• @Commando:

Landing on Gibraltar does not automatically bring the US into the war. It only allows the US to declare war.

What if Germany took Gibraltar first and then Japan landed there?  Would that allow the US to declare war?  My friend has done an Italian can opener on me where he takes Eastern Poland with Italy.  Then on Germany’s turn he moves into it but does not declare war on Russia and still collects his five point bonus.  This would seem like the same principal to me.

• Germany is already at war w/the UK, so this doesn’t allow the US to declare war on Germany, Italy or Japan. If Germany takes Gib, Japan can feel free to land there if it wants w/out fear of a US DOW on the Axis. If Italy declares war on Russia, then that allows Russia to declare war on the Axis. Germany does not need a DOW on Russia if Italy took Epl, as this is a non-combat move.

• I should clarify, the DOW by Russia is meant against Germany/Italy(Axis). A DOW on Japan, still requires a separate DOW by Russia on Japan.

• @Piet:

I think it states that the JPN planes are landed on the German carriers not Gibraltar

Nice plan by the way, and as a side note, if the US proves too strong you can sail on to the UK and do a a sea lion with the JPNese…

I like this idea. Japan holding London with a LARGE navy should give Germany lots of time to finish off Russia for the European win.

• I tried a similar move to this before, but i was just thinking… What if Japan comes around south america and takes brazil and builds an IC there?!? Could be crazy…

• @keplar:

I tried a similar move to this before, but i was just thinking… What if Japan comes around south america and takes brazil and builds an IC there?!? Could be crazy…

Well in the plan I was thinking of time is of the essence and if the Axis do not sack Washington they pretty much lose the game.  I am not sure a minor in Brazil would hold for Japan very long with the USA having 3 major factory’s a stone toss away.

• @Frank:

@keplar:

I tried a similar move to this before, but i was just thinking… What if Japan comes around south america and takes brazil and builds an IC there?!? Could be crazy…

Well in the plan I was thinking of time is of the essence and if the Axis do not sack Washington they pretty much lose the game.  I am not sure a minor in Brazil would hold for Japan very long with the USA having 3 major factory’s a stone toss away.

That may be true. however coupled with Germany and Italy’s presence at Gibralter, they could help with defending the territory.

I’m not saying that Japan should do this, but sometimes it’s fun to think of and maybe try new things to keep the game from becoming too stale (which is the point my gaming group is at unfortunately)

• Customizer

@keplar:

I’m not saying that Japan should do this, but sometimes it’s fun to think of and maybe try new things to keep the game from becoming too stale (which is the point my gaming group is at unfortunately)

UGH!  I know exactly what you mean.  In our games, many times the first 2-3 rounds are almost exactly the same.  In fact, just about the only way they DO change is from the roll of the dice.
    Example: 
    Game 1= Germany sends all the Luftwaffe and subs against the British fleet.  Germany has good dice, Royal navy is trashed with most German planes surviving.  Next round, prepare for Sealion. 
    Game 2= Germany sends all the Luftwaffe and subs against the British fleet.  Germany has bad dice, Luftwaffe is mauled, many British warships remain.  Next round, rebuild Luftwaffe.
    Game 3= Germany sends all the Luftwaffe and subs against the British fleet.  Germany has medium luck with dice, Britain has a couple of capital ships but rest is lost, Luftwaffe loses 1/2 planes.  Next round, replace some planes and CONSIDER Sealion.

See what I mean?  It would be nice to try something new and unexpected.

• Here are some of my early posts on a matter close to this: (since you started out asking if anyone has done this)
    I have not updated plans for Alpha 2 my focus has been elsewhere.

Below was for OOB I believe not Alpha 2.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20342.msg685203#msg685203

here is a link for OOB: operation Penta-gone.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20342.msg685806#msg685806

This is a link to a plan that got the entire Japanese air force OOB to the Atlantic by turn 5.

(by the way, I coined the term Operation Hollywood for revised 2004 back in the day)
    here is a link talking about the origin of the name: Credited by Iron-Chef post: 08-09-2004, 05:41 PM

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m