Alpha 3 Intelligence Report - Straight from the front lines!

• What I’d like to see are some Official (optional) NA’s  :-D

• I wouldn’t like to see either Italy or Russia to be strengthend. The Italians turned out to be a joke in WWII and a stronger Russia will only result in less need for the US to step in the European theater.

To get the US to actually plan a D-Day a US NO should be in place. I would love a 2 (french?) infantry for and in any of the following US-liberated territories: Netherlands, France, Normandy, Southern France (and maybe even portugal and spain) - resembling the national recruitment of these areas.

• I also have the impression that the entire system of victory cities is flawed by dividing them up between pacific and atlantic.

But then again I don’t like VC-rules anyway.  :lol:

still hanging on to the “totaler Krieg” rules of aniversary edition!  :evil:

• @soldaatvanoranje:

I wouldn’t like to see either Italy or Russia to be strengthend. The Italians turned out to be a joke in WWII and a stronger Russia will only result in less need for the US to step in the European theater.

To get the US to actually plan a D-Day a US NO should be in place. I would love a 2 (french?) infantry for and in any of the following US-liberated territories: Netherlands, France, Normandy, Southern France (and maybe even portugal and spain) - resembling the national recruitment of these areas.

per turn, per territory that is…

• I personally don’t think the game needs to change that radically either. No setup changes just give Japan N0’s that are more attainable and Italy 5 if UK is under Axis control and I think that will go a long way. If Uk doesn’t work for you as a NO for Italy how about Paris. If the whole objective is to give the Axis a little more of a counterweight then I think this is what you are looking for. On another note I am laughing at these posts a little because when the game came out so many shouting for Alpha 3 were saying Germany could take London and still have plenty of money to fend off the Russians. What Happened?

• @GoSanchez6:

<snip>. On another note I am laughing at these posts a little because when the game came out so many shouting for Alpha 3 were saying Germany could take London and still have plenty of money to fend off the Russians. What Happened?</snip>

They found out that while they could fend off the Russians, they didn’t stand much chance against a combined Pac/EU USA economy dumped into one side of the board on top of it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Xandax:

@GoSanchez6:

<snip>. On another note I am laughing at these posts a little because when the game came out so many shouting for Alpha 3 were saying Germany could take London and still have plenty of money to fend off the Russians. What Happened?</snip>

They found out that while they could fend off the Russians, they didn’t stand much chance against a combined Pac/EU USA economy dumped into one side of the board on top of it.

Also, fending off the Russians == winning the game.  Eventually the Russians will hold the German/Italians at bay long enough for America to return from destroying Japan and add that little oomph required to finish off Germany.

• How do I get to the Intel. Report?

• Sponsor

I hope Larry will finally disallow bombardments from damaged battleships.

@Young:

I highly doubt it for the following reasons:

1)  It was never discussed.

2)  Generally speaking most battleships are repaired just prior to attacking.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

@Young:

I highly doubt it for the following reasons:

1)  It was never discussed.

2)  Generally speaking most battleships are repaired just prior to attacking.

I have seen enough naval attrition battles between Japan and the US so far deep in the south Pacific, that Japanese battleships that survive are left damaged for many rounds. I see your point though, maybe it should have been discussed because it’s a real pet peeve to get bombarded by a damaged battleship, I mean those damages are making the ship list and the guns can’t aim while the ship is listing. Maybe I will bring it to a vote as a house rule with my group.

• Official Q&A

Think of battleship damage as simply a reduction in its armor value.  The result of the damage is that it can only take one more hit, not any reduction in capabilities.  Aircraft carriers, on the other hand, have no armor and take real damage on the first hit that reduces their capabilities.

I have to agree with Grass Hopper, but only because in house rule packets damaged battleships were always stated as being able to defend but make no attacks due to reduced speed of it’s engines, damage to its powder rooms, lost gun castles, leaking oil, etc.

But Krieg is the official arbiter of the rules, whether or not they make sense from an analytical standpoint, he says they get full function just unable to sustain more damage before sinking, that’s what they get. /shrug.

More importantly, I want destroyer bombards!  (Hey, they have guns!)  Ah, 24 American destroyers bombarding Japanese shores, now there’s a sight to behold!

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

Think of battleship damage as simply a reduction in its armor value.  The result of the damage is that it can only take one more hit, not any reduction in capabilities.  Aircraft carriers, on the other hand, have no armor and take real damage on the first hit that reduces their capabilities.

I just thought for game play reasons it would be nice to penalize players who don’t feel pressure to get to their naval bases and repair damaged battleships. There should be consequences to not repairing your ships. That said, I appreciate the explanation.

• In fairness, I think having a Battleship that dies in 1 hit is enough of a punishment.  :lol:

I think it’s more than reasonable for a 20 IPC unit to be able to completely function after suffering a hit.

• is it gonna be hitorricly correct

• Sponsor

@450thMSAF:

is it gonna be hitorricly correct

I think the changes for the most part will be for better game play, but that’s not to say their not thinking about historical accuracy.

@450thMSAF:

is it gonna be hitorricly correct

The more historically correct the game, the more unbalanced it becomes.  Why?  Because the allies won 100% of the World War II’s in history.

• Will the new Alpha 3 provide Japan with additional NO’s? Such as Phillipines or Malaya? or Shanghi? Japs need an incentive to counter the US.

• Sponsor

@sargon:

Will the new Alpha 3 provide Japan with additional NO’s? Such as Phillipines or Malaya? or Shanghi? Japs need an incentive to counter the US.

From what I understand (which is not much), there won’t be any additional NOs for Japan. However, they may be trying to figure out how to make the existing NOs more obtainable. Of course thats just a guess, I really have no idea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m