• Greetings. I’ve recently run across an individual who mentioned there are House Rules giving Canadian territories (and therefore income) to ANZAC, making them something like a Commonwealth Dominions faction. I rather liked the idea, but I have certain reservations. It would reduce UK Europe’s income, which would make it less likely to defend against Sealion, or hurt the Italians. Secondly, ANZAC is pretty much just and extension of the UK anyway, so it wouldn’t make much difference in terms of fighting capacity. I was just wondering if anybody actually tried doing this and what the results were.

• Sponsor

Canada fought for Britain in Europe, not for Australia in the Pacific. It might be useful for game play, but for a Canadian like myself, its bad enough we don’t get our own units like we should, but now we have to send our resources down under…… Come on!

• @Young:

but for a Canadian like myself, its bad enough we don’t get our own units like we should,

not worthy, not worthy

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '12 '11

Hi,

I am playing an A&A variant called A&A Global War 1939, the map is almost 4’ X 8 ', and your questions/queries are answered in the rules for this variant. Like Canada has is own ipcs, 10 and get 3 more when the US is at war, and an other 3 more if UK own all its territories in the European war, and built its own units with the minor ic in Québec.The UK can built units on its commonewalth territories : 2 more units in Canada, South Africa has an income of 3 ipc and must built an infantry first and then Uk can built an other unit there. UK can built 2 more units in Far East Command with FEC built and 2 more units for ANZAC with ANZAC built.

FEC and ANZAC can not built capitol ships though and can not upgrade ic to major ones. There is a little more rules than the ones I mentionned so you will have to read the rest for yourself.

I really enjoy this variant ( only played it solo as I am learning the rules ). Now I am waiting for the new units to come out too. As soon as the Italian units are for sale, I think I will be selling my other A&A games like A&A Europe/Pacific, and 50th Anniversary. And when all the other armies will be done, maybe I will sell A&AE40 and P40.

You can find all this in the A&A variant forums.

J.  8-)

• You’ll need to put a link in if you want people to check it out….

@JimmyHat:

You’ll need to put a link in if you want people to check it out….

Hi,

Would like to but I am not allowed ( yet/why ? ). So just put 3 w in front of :

historicalboardgaming.com/1939-axis-allies-map

To see the reduced map, click on the link about mid page and for the rules and set up, they are near the bottom of the pg.

J.  8-)

PS For the forum itself : add 3 w + axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=36.0

• @radar231:

Hi,

I am playing an A&A variant called A&A Global War 1939, the map is almost 4’ X 8 ', and your questions/queries are answered in the rules for this variant. Like Canada has is own ipcs, 10 and get 3 more when the US is at war, and an other 3 more if UK own all its territories in the European war, and built its own units with the minor ic in Québec.The UK can built units on its commonewalth territories : 2 more units in Canada, South Africa has an income of 3 ipc and must built an infantry first and then Uk can built an other unit there. UK can built 2 more units in Far East Command with FEC built and 2 more units for ANZAC with ANZAC built.

FEC and ANZAC can not built capitol ships though and can not upgrade ic to major ones. There is a little more rules than the ones I mentionned so you will have to read the rest for yourself.

I really enjoy this variant ( only played it solo as I am learning the rules ). Now I am waiting for the new units to come out too. As soon as the Italian units are for sale, I think I will be selling my other A&A games like A&A Europe/Pacific, and 50th Anniversary. And when all the other armies will be done, maybe I will sell A&AE40 and P40.

You can find all this in the A&A variant forums.

J.  8-)

Awesome. That sounds very interesting. I also would like a link.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Free rules and setup charts as well as a download for the map.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/1939-axis-allies-map

Thanks Doug.

I wanted to quote you, but couldn’t with the link inside the quote. :x

J.  8-)

• I made some simple rules for turning Anzac into the power called “UK Commonwealth”
    A setup and national objectives to compensate UK for the income loss and to make Canada useful

Ill post them here or you can look for them in the House Rules section

• That would be fantastic if you could be so kind sir.

• This is a thread with some discussion on the matter http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20629.0
    And here are the rules themselves, in essence, tweaked slightly to compensate for the 6 months that have passed since.

The ANZAC pieces (Dark Grey) are used to represent the new power “UK Commonwealth”
    The Commonwealth takes one turn, but has a split economy (Exactly the same as the UK Europe/Pacific split).
    The Economies are:
    10 IPCs : ANZAC; Capital is Sidney (all territories marked with the ANZAC roundel)
    7 IPCs :Canada; Capital is Ottawa (all territoreis marked with the Canadian roundel)

The following rule changes are made to accomidate the new Commonweath power
    Game Mechanics:
    -Commonwealth forces may choose to conquer enemy territory on behalf of the United Kingdom power instead of themselves if they desire.
    -The Commonwealth may assume control of United Kingdom territory as if it was Dutch if the UK capital in that theatre has been captured.

Setup:
    Do not place United Kingdom Units in Ontario, Quebec, or Sea Zone 106 during setup. Instead follow this setup for Canada, using Commonwealth (Dark Grey) units
    British Columbia - 1 Infantry
    Ontario - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, Air Base, Minor Industrial Complex
    Quebec - 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Artillery, Minor Industrial Complex
    New Brunswick/Nova Scotia - Naval Base
    United Kingdom - 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 123 - Destroyer
    Sea Zone 106 - Destroyer, Transport

Modify the Alpha+ 2 Setup Accordingly

United Kingdom:
    Gibraltar - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Iceland - 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 123 - Transport

Germany:
    SZ 114 - 1 Sub

ANZAC:
    New Zeland - 2 Infantry, 2 Fighters, Minor Industrial Complex

National Objectives:
    United Kingdom:
    Replace the United Kingdom “control all original territory” objectives with:

5 IPCs for the European economy if all Canadain territories are controled, as well as Egypt and Gibraltar and Sea Zone 109 is free of enemy ships.

5 IPCs for the Pacifc economy (India) if all ANZAC territories are controled, as well as Malya and Kwangtung and Sea Zone 39 is free of enemy ships. Also the UK is at war with Japan

Commonwealth:
    The ANZAC economy benifits from its normal National Objectives, these IPCs go to the ANZAC economy only. The Canadain economy can benifit from the following National Objectives:

5 IPCs if all Allied convoy zones on the European map are free of enemy ships
    (Convoy zones adjacent to a currently controled Allied territory on the Europe game board)

5 IPCs if the United States is at war with the Axis Powers

Notes:
    The Commonwealth conducts research and development as a single power.
    The United Kingdom European economy begins the game at 21, the Pacific economy begins the game at 17.
    Use ANZAC roundels (or the “union jack” roundel) to denote Canadian conquests.

• I love this, wish Larry had think the same when he designed this game. My buddies usualy want to play with the oob rules, so its not easy to convince others to play by house rules no matter how briliant they are, man.

• i have even been kicking around the idea of changing the turn order
    UK Europe and Commonwealth Canada go first
    Then next UK Pacific and Commonwealth ANZAC goes second

Meaning gray and tan pieces would be moving at the same time, but would have distinct economic rules

I fear this might doom Japan though.

• Customizer

Very cool setup but I see one problem:  the Minor IC on New Zealand.  
    New Zealand is considered an island and no ICs are supposed to be built on any islands (Japan being the only exception).
    Perhaps move that IC to Queensland.  That is where I often build a second Minor IC for ANZAC in games where they are doing very well and need more building space.

• Well, no ICs on islands rule is obviously broken at setup on Japan, and since its on New Zealand at setup, I hardly see that as breaking the rule.

Dont forget, ANZAC starts with a major on new south wales (violation of the rules) and a minor on New Zealand OOB (violation of the rules)

And lest we forget this is aNZac not AAC. New Zealand played an important role in the alliance, and that should be represented. ANZAC always struggles to build that one more unit it wants when its around 20 IPCs (Fighter, artillery, 2 Infantry, etc.) If they have to build a 4th unit id rather it be at New Zealand to represent their contribution to the alliance than somewhere on the mainland.

I also gave Canada a 2nd minor, because if it ever gets up around 20 IPCs it might need to build more than 3 units

• @oztea:

Well, no ICs on islands rule is obviously broken at setup on Japan, and since its on New Zealand at setup, I hardly see that as breaking the rule.

Dont forget, ANZAC starts with a major on new south wales (violation of the rules) and a minor on New Zealand OOB (violation of the rules)

And lest we forget this is aNZac not AAC. New Zealand played an important role in the alliance, and that should be represented. ANZAC always struggles to build that one more unit it wants when its around 20 IPCs (Fighter, artillery, 2 Infantry, etc.) If they have to build a 4th unit id rather it be at New Zealand to represent their contribution to the alliance than somewhere on the mainland.

I also gave Canada a 2nd minor, because if it ever gets up around 20 IPCs it might need to build more than 3 units

That’s a misprint.  OOB its just 1 minor in New South Wales

• @oztea:

This is a thread with some discussion on the matter
    And here are the rules themselves, in essence, tweaked slightly to compensate for the 6 months that have passed since.

The ANZAC pieces (Dark Grey) are used to represent the new power “UK Commonwealth”
    The Commonwealth takes one turn, but has a split economy (Exactly the same as the UK Europe/Pacific split).
    The Economies are:
    10 IPCs : ANZAC; Capital is Sidney (all territories marked with the ANZAC roundel)
    7 IPCs :Canada; Capital is Ottawa (all territoreis marked with the Canadian roundel)

The following rule changes are made to accomidate the new Commonweath power
    Game Mechanics:
    -Commonwealth forces may choose to conquer enemy territory on behalf of the United Kingdom power instead of themselves if they desire.
    -The Commonwealth may assume control of United Kingdom territory as if it was Dutch if the UK capital in that theatre has been captured.

Setup:
    Do not place United Kingdom Units in Ontario, Quebec, or Sea Zone 106 during setup. Instead follow this setup for Canada, using Commonwealth (Dark Grey) units
    British Columbia - 1 Infantry
    Ontario - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, Air Base, Minor Industrial Complex
    Quebec - 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Artillery, Minor Industrial Complex
    New Brunswick/Nova Scotia - Naval Base
    United Kingdom - 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 123 - Destroyer
    Sea Zone 106 - Destroyer, Transport

Modify the Alpha+ 2 Setup Accordingly

United Kingdom:
    Gibraltar - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
    Iceland - 1 Infantry
    Sea Zone 123 - Transport

Germany:
    SZ 114 - 1 Sub

ANZAC:
    New Zeland - 2 Infantry, 2 Fighters, Minor Industrial Complex

National Objectives:
    United Kingdom:
    Replace the United Kingdom “control all original territory” objectives with:

5 IPCs for the European economy if all Canadain territories are controled, as well as Egypt and Gibraltar and Sea Zone 109 is free of enemy ships.

5 IPCs for the Pacifc economy (India) if all ANZAC territories are controled, as well as Malya and Kwangtung and Sea Zone 39 is free of enemy ships. Also the UK is at war with Japan

Commonwealth:
    The ANZAC economy benifits from its normal National Objectives, these IPCs go to the ANZAC economy only. The Canadain economy can benifit from the following National Objectives:

5 IPCs if all Allied convoy zones on the European map are free of enemy ships
    (Convoy zones adjacent to a currently controled Allied territory on the Europe game board)

5 IPCs if the United States is at war with the Axis Powers

Notes:
    The Commonwealth conducts research and development as a single power.
    The United Kingdom European economy begins the game at 21, the Pacific economy begins the game at 17.
    Use ANZAC roundels (or the “union jack” roundel) to denote Canadian conquests.

I love it. Very well thought out and superb. Thank you for sharing that.

• He was only trying to help us out. No need to be rude and say his ideas are total crap. I actually think it’s worse for the Allies, less income for UK Europe, so Sealion is more viable. Having an independent Canada is pretty sorry compensation if you lose London.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

all it does is entirely water down the REASON to even do a sealion.

You now have your capital in canada, and at will can convert thier territory to your own.

You also add a bunch of ships, ground units, a fighter, to the atlantic.  And the NO’s alone make up for all of it.  There is atleast +15 IPC’s a turn the allies are now getting, that they didn’t get before, which are all easy to achieve.

Having an independant canada, that is JUST as strong as the conquered UK, really defeats the purpose.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m