• What single territory should i take in risk

• The Mid-East. Quite simply it is an excellent springboard into 4 continents.

• @C_Strabala:

The Mid-East. Quite simply it is an excellent springboard into 4 continents.

Mid-East has several fronts to defend.

I like South Africa, only have to worry about your north fronts. Let others weaken themselves fighting one another, then steamroll over everyone.

• papua new gunie! just biuld up and biuld up.

• I have found that in a large group game, where most continents are fought over, building an army in the vastness of Asia can work. Few think of Asia as winnable, so they don’t invest there. This only works as long as players are bleeding themselves over obtaining entire continents. If you can bloodlessly build a large force in Asia, you can then strike out anywhere.

Keep this thought in your Risk text books.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Start in Australia… and conquer the world.

• '10

I always go for the North America strategy.  Start in North America and slowly build your forces.  When you are ready you can hold a continent that is worth 5 armies (Australia is worth only 2) and you only have three points to defend.

You also have easy access to Europe / Asia / South America.

I then make a move on South America…  now you hold two continents and still only have 3 boarders to defend.

it is a lot harder than the Australia strategy, but makes you a powerhouse in the end.

• @ABWorsham:

@C_Strabala:

The Mid-East. Quite simply it is an excellent springboard into 4 continents.

Mid-East has several fronts to defend.

I like South Africa, only have to worry about your north fronts. Let others weaken themselves fighting one another, then steamroll over everyone.

True. But one can effectively use the Mid East as a diversion from their main thrust by merely maintaining a garrison there. Any opponents must then maintain forces in the area to counter your armies, thus keeping those armies out of offensive action.

• I prefer North America because it contains 3 choke points and has access to Europe, Asia and South America.

I look at how to secure large land areas with minimal forces and the number of points where the controlled areas can be assessed. Australia is the best because it only has one choke point.

South America is second it has two, North America has 3, but turned out 5 men extra.

Asia is impossible to hold and Europe is the worst.

Africa has 3-4 choke points and one of them is middle east, ranks next to last IMO.

Holding North Africa, Iceland, and Kamchatka and all the areas in between is the best deal to control other players since you locked down one continent, and removed 3 others from ownership from others. And you are still in striking range of Australia from Kamchatka ( about 4 spaces)

Some of you guys must be playing Axis & Allies too much… because it is very difficult to win at Risk if you don’t have an optimum starting position.

South America is second best, after Australia. North America is probably third because, while large, there are only 3 points of attack as IL mentioned. Europe is a deathtrap, Asia is way too big for any early considerations and Africa is in the middle of all the action.

When I play Risk it is typically with 4 or more people, so the board is quite busy. Starting position is key. Then it becomes a game of politics and and alliances, which I really dislike. It is less about a physical strategy and more about who is most powerful and how to depose him.

And in Risk, as most of you know, you cannot spread your forces out and expect to win. Which makes me wonder about this Mid-East sub-strategy… What is the point? Yeah sure, it is a springboard, but to where?

Africa? - Crossroads of the game, much too busy.

Asia?  -  Way too big… unless you just want a conglomeration of green territories. But then greed gets the best of you and you WILL overextend.

Europe? - Again, a deathtrap.

The other three continents are a good distance from the middle east. And having a garrison there, just to have some regional force is just a waste of precious resources.

Not to pretend that I am some Risk-god… but these have been my observations through much experience.

I presonally like playing Lord of the Rings RISK even more, just because it has some extra features that make the games more interesting than regualr Risk.

• '10

@LHoffman:

Not to pretend that I am some Risk-god… but these have been my observations through much experience.

I presonally like playing Lord of the Rings RISK even more, just because it has some extra features that make the games more interesting than regualr Risk.

I have to agree…  It is one of my favorite in the RISK series.

@FieldMarshalGames:

@LHoffman:

I have to agree…  It is one of my favorite in the RISK series.

See… the Field Marshal knows where it’s at.  :-D

• Really lotr I prefer 2210, in witch the moon with a well protected space station is the best strategy.

@finnman:

Really lotr I prefer 2210, in witch the moon with a well protected space station is the best strategy.

Can’t give you my comment on that, because I haven’t played 2210 or Godstorm… however, I will say that I thought Star Wars: Clone Wars Risk was a dismal failure.

• @LHoffman:

In our games we had 85% of our games getting decided by the controller of Australia. I changed my Risk board by adding the Philippines and connection it to Indonesia and Siam. It gives the player who controls Australia another front to defend and expand from.

@ABWorsham:

@LHoffman:

In our games we had 85% of our games getting decided by the controller of Australia. I changed my Risk board by adding the Philippines and connection it to Indonesia and Siam. It gives the player who controls Australia another front to defend and expand from.

Yeah, that’s the thing… it is almost as if the guy who gets to place first takes it and will win nearly by default. Which is one reason I like LOTR Risk better… there isn’t exactly an Australia in that game.

• Played many hours of LOTR Risk, great board. Love the strongholds and leaders.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m