2 turn system: How to re-balance the game with such a system

• @Imperious:

axis first then allies.

Yes but all of the axis go at the same time during the turn, meaning they all purchase units, weapon developments, combat move, combat, noncombat, and collect income at the same time? And then the allies? Because if its like this, it would save time and make the game more historically coordinated. And just overall more awesome!

• yes correct all the axis play the phases at once in sequence: all builds, all move, all combat, etc, THEN allies do same.

• Customizer

I tried this 2 turn system out with a game of Revised just for kicks.  I did Axis first then Allies – big mistake.  Russia fell immediately with UK falling next turn.  Japan kind of screwed up and left their capital wide open, which USA took advantage of eagerly.  So, it ended up being a game of Germany vs. USA because everyone else pretty much got wiped out.  Eventually, Germany ended up taking it because they had too much territory in Europe and Asia.  Even thought the USA had the Pacific pretty much locked down, they couldn’t keep a foothold in Europe or Asia and Germany eventually built a big enough navy to challenge the US Navy and started encroaching into the Pacific and on North America.
    Since Revised is way different from Global 40, perhaps I should have let the Allies go first and then the Axis.  After all, that game starts with Russia.

• In that game you really need to alter the turn sequence for turn 1:

russia
    axis
    allies

then axis and allies

This is what we did in AARHE 2004, which is the first use of this system. Of course their are other rules as well.

• Does Russia need to go first in the global version of the 2 turn system?

• I don’t know this. I do know in AAR it is mandatory. That is what we based AARHE on which employed that idea.

• How do you designate a captured territory that has been taken by two powers.

• Also, since all Axis units are moving at once is it allowable for them to share transports? Ill say yes but let me know what your guys do.

• Can combined arms work with different nations ie a UK fighter and a US tactical bomber….would this make the US tac hit on a 4 ???

• How do you designate a captured territory that has been taken by two power

s

The player with the most units controls area.

Can combined arms work with different nations ie a UK fighter and a US tactical bomber….would this make the US tac hit on a 4

this was never tested since we didn’t have all these boosts in AARHE

Also, since all Axis units are moving at once is it allowable for them to share transports? Ill say yes but let me know what your guys do.

only UK and USA or Germany and Italy can do this . NO other combinations. also, no allies in russia or no Japanese and German mixing

• Oh sorry I was refering to Global 40… but none the less this could be applied to it as well. I think combined arms should stay within designated powers as it would make it more 1 power rather than several powers working together.

• AARHE was working only for AAR 2004. You need to extrapolate which parts of our rules worked best. I can only tell you from experience based on on AAR what the rules are or how it effected the game.

In principle, it should work the same but the global set up needs to be changed or imbalance will occur. This is because it can’t deal with a rule change where 3 axis players attack before the allies, it will kill too many units and create a situation where the allies are in too great of a hole to dig out.

• Hmmm ive started playing a 2 turn system where the UK is not split but thats the only change ive made at the moment. Is anyone interested in playing a game to test balance issues. Just play a game as it stands to see where there might be issues.

• So has anyone came up with set up changes that might balance the 2 turn system of the game? I will be playing this next week hopefully so Im eager to see what people might have come up with.

I know TheDefinitiveS has Britain combined, which will be a hypothetical beneficial change that will keep sealion from being successful due to large British income. But at the same team this leaves Britain able to massively build up and counter the European axis with America’s help firstly and hopefully Russian forces, while ANZAC and China and U.S in the Pacific gang up and overrun Japan with minor British help. In which case the game favors the allies even more than usual. What are your guys thoughts? And from experience what exactly does need to be changed?

• So recently I played out a game using this system. After many rounds and one of the longest games of axis and allies I have ever endured, it was a stalemate. As Gargantua predicted, London fell. Though we had Britain with two capitals, there income was combined and allowed to be spent at either side of the board. Even after all unit builds went to London turn one, it fell turn two. So only London income was lost and the Brits fought on from India. Nevertheless Italy become a God economically and militarily. The Brits in the Med and Africa were sunk naval wise and overwhelmed on land by Italy. The German navy became large enough to contend with America, and later on in the game, Italy almost took Stalingrad and successfully took Calcutta for one turn and also controlled all of the middle east. Japan was effectively contained by America, Britain, China and ANZAC and suffered huge losses after very early wins. Japan doesnt stand much of a chance we decided. Russia got hit hard by German attacks and Itailian attacks on their flanks through the middle east. Russia also rolled terribly. But their navy was strong and the capital never fell. America was hard pressed and couldnt fight Germany effectively while also dealing with Japan. It was mostly string after string of failed landings in Africa and the British mainland while sending a token navy to assist the rest of the allies in the Pacific.

Overall, the system sped the game up tremendously and kept all players focused. I find it to be balanced decently. The axis seemed very strong early in the game and kept the allies at bay except in the Pacific. Britain’s economies should be combined probably, but with a better experienced British player this just might create hell for the axis. Great house rule and I will be playing again with my group this way soon.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m