Russia Round One–How to justify anything but inf?

• @Coldwarrior1984:

R1 I purchase 1 bomber and 4 infantry.

Yeah me too: sometimes a bomber, sometimes a fighter.

Some air force is perfect, no need to sacrifice tanks and you got strength + distance (and great defence later in the game in case of fighters), and turn 1 is ideal for this since after R1 there shouldn’t be any threat.

Only reason i would buy a few tanks with Russia is to have units that can drive into India and China fast. If USA buys an IC in China they need Russian support.

Edit: and now and then an ART of course

• @Coldwarrior1984:

G1 Buy 5 inf, 5 arm. Take Karelia with 9 inf, 5 arm (if Ukraine was attacked on R1)

• I like 3tank 3inf Build
    better attack,defend early

• @Hobbes:

@Coldwarrior1984:

G1 Buy 5 inf, 5 arm. Take Karelia with 9 inf, 5 arm (if Ukraine was attacked on R1)

Ideally (for me), Ukraine should be taken with not too many land units (using the existing fighters, because tanks will die there anyway), while everything else slaughters West-Russia (and should be a stack that is too strong for Germany to take out unless the Ukraine attack fails miserably), fighters land in Caucasus to discourage amphibious assaults. next turn the W.Russia stack should retreat, no matter what Germany does (but yes, Karelia is about their best choice).

In case of a US IC in Sinkiang, 4 russian INF should have walked in turn 1 and in turn 2 they can do an attack on China, joined by the fighters (and bomber if you bought one) since the air force won’t be needed against Germany that turn. Landing in Sinkiang they are within reach to hit Ukraine / W.Russia again if desired.
    (tanks retreating from W.Russia to Kazakh can reach both fronts (but still face certain death after they have actually attacked…) and india).

Edit: a bomber is useful, but a fighter is usually enough since it is a small map and with careful positioning they can reach most fronts (and are great defence for when things get hot). Also buying a fighter instead of a bomber allows to buy some ART instead of INF, which is useful for  small counter attacks as well.
    if germany slacks, then a bomber later on is still an option ;)

• @special:

next turn the W.Russia stack should retreat, no matter what Germany does (but yes, Karelia is about their best choice).

As long as Germany controls Eastern Europe, Russia should keep a stack on West Russia as long as possible. With it, it can trade 7 IPC worth of territories with the Germans and keep their advance in check. If it pulls out the stack then Russia is effectively allowing a ton of IPCs to the Germans: Karelia, Belorussia, Ukraine, West Russia.

• @Hobbes:

@special:

next turn the W.Russia stack should retreat, no matter what Germany does (but yes, Karelia is about their best choice).

As long as Germany controls Eastern Europe, Russia should keep a stack on West Russia as long as possible. With it, it can trade 7 IPC worth of territories with the Germans and keep their advance in check. If it pulls out the stack then Russia is effectively allowing a ton of IPCs to the Germans: Karelia, Belorussia, Ukraine, West Russia.

true, but if Germany puts enough troops in position to defeat the W.Russian army (like in your example, + air force + units from other territories that probably can reach W.Russia), i am inklined to pull back (or turn south, depending on the situation).
    Against a German player that will take W.Russia with the minimal amount of units, i will take W.Russia back the next turn with some inf + fighters. I know that is a game that won’t last long in Spring 42.
    Call me a semi-agressive Russian ;)

that said, consulting the map i notice that i usually take Belarus and ukraine while keeping a stack in W.Russia, backed up by Caucasus and Russia. Clearly i don’t know this map by heart (yet). So i guess i was  agreeing with you, heh. :D sorry for that
    Keeping W.Russia (and trade Ukraine, Belarus or even Karelia when possible).

edit: i do usually retreat my tanks, though

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m