• '10

If anyone wants to see data on cost and actual number of aircraft produced by all 5 nations go here.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=23303.msg796001#msg796001

It’s really good stuff.

• Black fox, excellent data.  I confirm your figures. I am a retired USAF a 31 year vet.  No nation on this earth would be able to sustain losses of airmen and aircraft like WW II combatants.  For one, no nation not even ours has an industrial base or the will of the people to support it.  The closest any nation came to it was Russia during the cold war, but they put 89% of their GNP into the production of weapons. We and Nato only 8% percent GNP.

• '10

Well I really can’t take credit for the info.  It was passed on to me by a friend of mine who is WWII army air corp. vet.

The numbers there are astounding.  Not only in the number of aircraft produced but the high loss of personnel in combat and accidents.  Could you imagine the frenzy the media would go into if it happened today?

The closest any nation came to it was Russia during the cold war, but they put 89% of their GNP into the production of weapons. We and Nato only 8% percent GNP

I knew it was high, but not that high.  No wonder their economy was a mess.

By the way, thanks for your service of 31 years.  I did 4-1/2 years in the Navy.  Served on the flight deck of the USS Midway from 82~85, the rest in Yokosuka.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Visited the Midway in 'Diego last time there. Beautiful beast. Thanks for your service gents!

• BlackFox, Thank you for your service. USS Midway excellent.  Our news media would go crazy if we sustained 100 bombers lost and 600 airmen killed in one day.  Our current total bomber force is 100 B-52s and 40 B-1BS, 60 where canned and sent to the bone yard at Davis Monthan AFB. We have aprox 18-22 B-2 Bombers.  When I joined the Airforce in 1979 we had over 790 B-52 Bombers and 7,000 fighter aircraft on 260 ea Air Force Bases worldwide.  We had so many planes in England that the British public nicknamed their country USS England the unsinkable American Aircraft Carrier. I was on a base then, that is now closed that had 160 ea A-10 Thunderbolt II Tank Killers alone for 5 years.  Warsaw Pact feared our wing of tank killers.

• '10

@Variable:

Visited the Midway in 'Diego last time there. Beautiful beast. Thanks for your service gents!

Thanks Variable, Warrior888

I heard from many people that is is a nice museum now.

By the way, I knew a pilot who flew F-16s in England.  He told me he had engine problems one time that forced him to make an emergency landing on a highway.  A bobby pulled up behind him and wrote him a ticket for illegal parking :-D  Got to love the Brits.

Anyway, I’ll stop here.  Don’t want to hijack the topic any further here.

• F6U CORSAIR ALL THE WAY!!!

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@Endeer:

F6U CORSAIR ALL THE WAY!!!

Corsair is in my Marine set.

• '10

@Endeer:

F6U CORSAIR ALL THE WAY!!!

I believe you meant to say F4U.  The F6U was a jet.  But you have my vote for the Corsair.

• lol, yea i thought F4U or F6U and in my mind Corsair = best plain 6>4. 6 won out. Cant beat the cool wings and the fact that Papie Boyington flew it.

In the US set I want to the P51, P40, B25, C47, TBF Avenger.

• FMG, I concur with Coach on the same aircraft lineup. We do not need any more B-17s or P-38s

I believe FMG us doing a Hellcat fighter and B-24 Liberator in his set.
    Great choices.

• '14

I wish FMG was doing OOB colors! Is FMG scaling his pieces to the OOB pieces??

• Customizer

@coachofmany:

I believe FMG us doing a Hellcat fighter and B-24 Liberator in his set.
    Great choices.

FMG is doing the Hellcat instead of the Mustang?  I thought for sure they would do the Mustang.  If that’s the case, then you just HAVE to do the Mustang.  We need it!

In the US set I want to the P51, P40, B25, C47, TBF Avenger

• Customizer

@coachofmany:

WOW!  You’re doing all of those planes?  Plus I know you will be doing alternate land units plus you have been mentioning an alternate US battleship.  It sounds like your US set is going to be pretty big.  Are you planning for that set to be quite a bit bigger than your Axis Minors and US Marines sets?

@knp7765:

@coachofmany:

WOW!  You’re doing all of those planes?  Plus I know you will be doing alternate land units plus you have been mentioning an alternate US battleship.  It sounds like your US set is going to be pretty big.  Are you planning for that set to be quite a bit bigger than your Axis Minors and US Marines sets?

The plan is for 12 new sculpts different from OOB and FMG aside from the Avenger.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Love the corsair, am sure it will sell out real fast, but we definitely should have the P-51

• The Mustang all the way, this fighter is so overdue for A&A its sick.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m