• Customizer

Here are some shots of the map I made and painted. I really wanted to get this game but the eBay price is prohibitive. I own AA42, AAP&E40as well as Battle of the Bulge, so I have plenty of units. For the Scientists we just use upturned beer caps, of which we accumulate plenty during play. We don’t use Victory cities as we play until surrender. It needs a couple more blow up boxes, most notably for East Ukraine. Any criticism would be helpful.

AA50 1.jpg
    AA50 2.jpg
    AA50 3.jpg

• Customizer

Here’s a shot of set up and mid-game. Japan has 3 researchers and Us has 1. We ran out of time on this game and will have to continue next Sunday. Tomorrow it looks like 2 player Global.

AA50 setup.jpg
    AA50 midgame.jpg

• My favorite part is the Winged Wheel towering over Russia.

• Customizer

Well there’s no accounting for taste, Go Sabres!

• @kdfsjljklgjfg:

My favorite part is the Winged Wheel towering over Russia.

Well, Detroit did produce a lot of tanks and jeeps during the war, and the Russians are fond of hockey, so I guess the Detroit hockey sweater isn’t entirely out of place here.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Did you make that with Cardboard and Felt pens?

How many hours did it take?

And how much did your supplies cost?

• Customizer

It’s made on bristol board. (2/$1) It’s two pieces vertically plus about 4 extra inches so that’s $1.50. I printed out a map from BGG by drago74 drew grids on it and then grids on bristol board twice as big, then drew the map square by square. Each paint colour cost $1 each at dollar store 6 countries, the sea and the Arctic = $8 And the Sharpie knockoff was 2/$1 with tax all things considered it cost around $15. I spent about 2 hours a day for 2 weeks or so on it. It’s nowhere near the quality of any of Imperious Leaders maps but I had fun making it and we’ve played twice on it now and it works well, though I should add a couple more blow up boxes for the Eastern front. I was going to take IL’s file to Staples and have it made up but that would have cost around $75 so I figured I’d have a go at it and I think it turned out OK.

• Customizer

I also made this dice board from wood and Foam rubber just drew the Hammer & Sickle cut out the yellow then the red and glued them in. The German colour one is my friends he made years ago using leather. If you like the sound of the dice crashing together don’t go with the foam rubber, we call it the sniper board. for the scoreboard I painted beer caps white then glued them onto a cookie sheet then glued magnets under the Infantry.

dice rolling board.jpg
    AA scoreboard.jpg

• Nice painted pieces

• Customizer

Thank you I only have the Germans and ANZAC still to do.

• Could you create a thread with just pics of the pieces

Cheers

• Customizer

I have my painted pieces posted in Allworkandnoclay’s accurate miniatures thread around page 35. My pieces are nowhere near his quality but I’m getting a little better.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=16956.510

• Nicely Done! however, If you don’t mind straying from your original map, I would add a little more detail to Australia.  If it was three or four territories, I think it would make it a bit harder for Japan to take it, increasing the board’s potential gameplay.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Your map has a decidedly simple feel, which I admire.

Also, another feature you included that I have not noticed on other game tables is the dual level. Having the board area raised and in the middle, perhaps at normal table height, while having a lower level which is physically separate from the upper part seems like a very nice innovation. It provides both a comfortable hand rest area but also an isolated area to organize one’s own pieces/money etc… Seems like it would make the game area much less cluttered.

Excellent!

• @LHoffman:

Also, another feature you included that I have not noticed on other game tables is the dual level. Having the board area raised and in the middle, perhaps at normal table height, while having a lower level which is physically separate from the upper part seems like a very nice innovation. It provides both a comfortable hand rest area but also an isolated area to organize one’s own pieces/money etc… Seems like it would make the game area much less cluttered.

My custom table has a central raised map portion, plus two multi-purpose empty “wings” (one per side) that are lower.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@CWO:

@LHoffman:

My custom table has a central raised map portion, plus two multi-purpose empty “wings” (one per side) that are lower.

Perhaps I have not seen your board Marc, but good idea. Personally, I like the idea of having that area all around the board for all players to use. The good thing about not having made a table yet is that you can steal the best ideas from everyone else and incorporate them into your own. Granted I probably won’t build mine until I buy my next house, but they are things I will keep in mind.

• @LHoffman:

Personally, I like the idea of having that area all around the board for all players to use. The good thing about not having made a table yet is that you can steal the best ideas from everyone else and incorporate them into your own.

Yes, that’s the nice thing about having a discussion forum where people share the result of their customization projects: it not only motivates people to try projects of their own, it also provides lots of ideas on which to drawn (sometimes including hard-won knowledge derived from failed experiments).

I have some pictures of my table in this thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32700.0

The photos which best show the side wings are titled 1 Left Table.jpg and 4 Right Table.jpg.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m