How is the balance with the new Alpha 2 changes? Please give your view.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes, but that is the tournament game, not in line with this thread.  I will be glad to point out what I feel are his tactical deficiencies and bad luck in his tournament game via PM if you like.

For the record, I do feel that the Allies will win most of the Global 40 games if allowed to enter the war at their choosing.  Hence why I started to come up with some other tactics to stop them from getting too powerful.  Some tactics I have read, mentally reviewed and revised in a manner I, personally, feel is better.

For instance, the massive attack on American shipping on Japan 1 is STRONG!  It is not invincible, after all, there are dice to contend with!  But what it does do, virtually all of the time is allow Japan to control the Pacific for a far greater period of time.  This is in part to America being knocked out of the Pacific for the most part, but also because what Japan has left is plenty to take out what the British and Australians have left, but only true if you kill that British Battleship in the south - IMHO.

Yes yes, if you can leave it alone and use only air power on round 2-17 to kill the British fleet, I suppose, but it’s a loose end that is neatly tied in a ribbon if you just sink it now.

Downside, America can put an aweful lot of submarines in the water off the coast of LA.  It’s an issue one has to contend with.

Also, if you do not hit America on Japan 1, I doubt you will be able to on round 2.  For one, if you cluster in SZ 6, America is just going to pull back to SZ 10 with all it’s units and you will have lost the attack on the DD/Trn off Philippines for nothing.

(Note, you cannot get reinforcement planes from Carolines or Mariannas to LA SZ.)

I have come up with an untested round 2 action with Japan.  It’s not so much a means to remove America from the war as it is to cripple the American financial system and force them to spread out.

But again, why should I allow those funny round eyes to get the Dutch East Indies!

• TripleA

A little bit of patience so germany can take UK.

your pacific strat doesn’t match your europe strat. it would if germany/italy was doing heavy russia or africa play instead of sea lion.

@Cow:

A little bit of patience so germany can take UK.

your pacific strat doesn’t match your europe strat. it would if germany/italy was doing heavy russia or africa play instead of sea lion.

To what are you referring too?

If in reference to my Japanese sneak attack idea, I am already considering Japan attacking on Round 2, so that America could do nothing to help England against Sea Lion, well, nothing if they stacked against Japan, as is current philosophy.

• TripleA

no reason to do anything for japan rounds 1-4. not in danger of losing the game, plus building up for japan takes time. saving uk is a priority so allies don’t lose on the europe half.

• With early $$$$$ :-D, America can load up with tons of subs and still have some to invest on Europe side slowly- if Sealion suceeds which is another matter in Alpha+2- I think the chances of getting it are slimmer this time according to my calculations- 4-5 aircraft make up the difference.  If it does succeed- its usually very costly.  It was very doable in Alpha+1 but not so much in Alpha+2.

Jen with your opening moves in Europe, Brits can still salvage a navy and reorganize in Canada.  By the way, the problem with Sealion is the “spread thin” factor- comes into play by rounds 6-10.

Also, if Russia marches through China with 18inf, you might rethink your whole strategy…China worth nothing you say???  Still think that is true with 18inf marching through China toward India…buys time for UKPacific.

I give you some credit for trying though…this strategy seems more like Swiss cheese- too many holes.  The overall idea makes perfect sense for a gambit- the details of how to do it are another matter.

@Cow:

no reason to do anything for japan rounds 1-4. not in danger of losing the game, plus building up for japan takes time. saving uk is a priority so allies don’t lose on the europe half.

It seems that the allies win most of the games still.  I believe this is because you leave America alone to build a massive unsinkable navy while blowing your forces in China getting territories you don’t need to win the game AND because you allow England/ANZAC to have 2 or 3 rounds of the DEI to add to their bulk, allowing them to get 30 infantry to stop you at Calcutta and a number of submarines that convoy you to death so while you’re trying to counter build america, you’re losing cash to the submarines.

The sneak attack round 1, 2 or 3, stops that from being an issue.  You stop America dead in its tracks and have your cash available to go knock out some British/Australian stuff.  Since America is so weak in the first couple of rounds and super huge later.

Sea Lion is almost always a forgone conclusion.  The only time it seems to not happen is if Germany gets stomped on Round 1 and doesn’t have the airpower to do it anymore.

The new trick is to wait until its too late for America to do a blessed thing about it, then stomp England.  By round 3 Germany should have 4 NOs going to rebuild a little lost, then 3 NOs once Russia gets in the war.

• TripleA

you really think usa can’t stop germany from taking united kingdom?

I been saying axis wins usually, because taking uk out of the game is rough for allies.

Let me explain USA’s movements at war to stop sea lion:

R1 usa sends a bomber. so if germany plans to shuffle units to scotland germany has to keep something back to gaurd transports (usually not a problem).  USA only needs to send a couple fighters on R2 to fly into UK to make R3 uk takedown look really grim for germany. Then you got to fly 2-6 fighters more to UK on USA R3, which is no problem. Then the takedown looks really bad.

as long as uk buys inf and artillery (to strafe whatever drops hit scotland), UK should be fine.

It’s actually hard for germany to take UK if USA is at war. even a stingy USA would send at least 6 fighters + bomber. 4 hits a round on defense in LL.
    ~
    If you really really really really want to do HEAVY pacific play with USA. you could ALWAYS fly back the fighters you sent to UK back to the pacific half of the board.

so it is not like you GAVE UP on pacific. USA flying air to UK to guard them temporarily is then going to pacific when the threat is over is not a bad idea.
    ~

Also if you look at the amount of air usa sent… it isn’t the maximum amount I could send if I wanted to. I used a low ball numbers to prove how hard it is for germany to take UK with USA in the mix. I am the paranoid type and would rather send 2 many than 2 little to save UK and MAKE SURE I don’t have to come back to europe and that UK and Russia has it.

• TripleA

also I usually attack r2 with japan as usually usa doesn’t have fighters in range of UK, but people have started to do that lately… so jap attacks r3 which isn’t too bad either.

• If you’re going to conduct Sealion, just have Japan invade the turn before Germany invades the United Kingdom.  Problem solved.

• TripleA

exactly what i been saying THANK YOU BUTCHER JESUS.

• You were complaining about the U.S. being able to prevent Sealion, so I assumed you weren’t delaying the Japanese attack (like the J2 attack you describe with a G4 Sealion).

@Butcher:

If you’re going to conduct Sealion, just have Japan invade the turn before Germany invades the United Kingdom.  Problem solved.

That was exactly the alteration I made to the strategy.  Thus, Cow’s posturing about sending stuff on Round 1 is meaningless since America cannot send stuff on Round 1, but he failed to read what I wrote and went on the assumption (and you know what that means…) that we were still talking a round 1 attack by Japan.

Thus, Japan attacks Aleutians, Guam, Wake, Borneo and the Solomons on round 2. (Requires a round 1 purchase of 2 transports with proper staging elsewhere to get to these zones) denying a surprised America the NOs for the pacific islands, hawaii trilogy and alaska duet.  It of course assumes America is not stacked in SZ 26, in which case, blow them to kingdom come!

Alternate:  Move your fleet over to like SZ 14 so you can blast the Americans in either Hawaii or LA.  The position (with two transports) still allows you to get Midway/Wake and Aleutians so the plan isn’t too far off, all you are doing is tipping your hand.

Germany 3, take England.

The beauty:  If Germany does poorly on round 1, the plan can be altered.  The carrier, destroyer and submarine purchase usually made for Germany is equally good protecting 11 transports as it is defending the Baltic Sea.

• TripleA

Still depends on who you play. Some people do keep air in range to defend UK. to make japan wait.
    ~
    Also opening moves with germany are becoming more and more standardized, you just pick a standardized japan opener to match it.

Every strategy should be opponent-oriented.  I am playing a specific way against JWW because I’ve played him before.  While that may not give me the win, I feel it’s stronger against that opponent then going a “traditional” way.

As I play the big three in global 40 (and a couple others) I learn how they play and what can and cannot work.  For instance, an all infantry build for germany just doesn’t work, the board is too big.

• TripleA

no G1 and J1 is standardized. Sea lion, heavy russia/africa. there are only 2 openers. possibly 3 if you include giving france to italy for africa heavy play.

Go navy?
    Go industrial?
    Go ground forces?
    Go mixed air/ground?
    Go mixed air/navy?
    Go mixed air/navy/ground?
    Go mixed ground/navy?

Attack Neutrals?
    Don’t Attack Neutrals?
    Attack SZ 110?
    Attack SZ 106?
    Attack SZ 109?

Declare War on Russia?
    Don’t Declare War on Russia?

Attack Normandy?
    Don’t Attack Normandy?

And those are just the decisions Germany has to make on round 1!

Buy 3 Transports?
    Buy 2 Transports and an industrial complex?

Attack Russia?
    Don’t Attack Russia?

Plow into China?
    Stack but advance in China?
    Stack and hold in China?
    Retreat in China?

Unify fleet?
    Break up fleet?

Attack American Fleet?
    Attack American Fleet and Philippines?
    Leave America alone?

If you attack America, do you hit the British Battleship?
    If you attack America, maybe you dont want to hit the British Battleship

Where do you want your airpower in Japan, Korea, Manchuria, Jehol, KSI, KWA?

They have a lot of options on round 1 as well.

• I know this off topic Jennifer but what is the Die Flottenmorderein mean in scandinavian.

• TripleA

there’s not that many choices jennifer. there are only so many objectives. NOs/Africa/UK/Russia.

your r1 is standardized based on what you are trying to achieve. just like revised and aa50, there are only 3-4 openers that I respect, because they are min maxed.

@GoSanchez6:

I know this off topic Jennifer but what is the Die Flottenmorderein mean in scandinavian.

It’s German for “The Fleet Killer” in feminine (Die vs Das or Der, always forget the masculine form in German…whatever. lol)  I seem to have an uncanny ability to destroy my opponents fleets, despite what the calculators say. (It probably has something to do with casualty selection.)

I was given the title officially after sinking yet another fleet of EMs, but others have concurred.  Of course, this was back in the days of Revised…

@Cow:

your r1 is standardized based on what you are trying to achieve. just like revised and aa50, there are only 3-4 openers that I respect, because they are min maxed.

Look above.  There are certainly more than 3 or 4 openers.  What, I believe, you are saying is that there are only 3 to 4 grand, over-arching tactical choices the Axis can aim for (2 or 3 for the allies, perhaps.)  To that, I would agree.

A) Russia
    B) England
    C) Africa
    D) Turtle

1. Italy
    2. Japan
    3. Germany

But there are, I would over-exaggerate, uncountable openings to get to those conclusions - some better than others - some decided by the dice despite the best tactical minds behind the countries.  Factually, there are countable ways, each opening can be associated to a value in the set of all natural numbers, therefore, even if there was an infinite selection of openings, it would still be a countable set, but I digress…the fact is, there are a lot of different openings.  I have even opened one game without attacking the British navy what-so-ever and ignoring Africa/Med.  I beat Russia and had England on the ropes but Japan fell and from there it was only time before Italy did…but it certainly was not a standard opening!

• TripleA

yeah and that’s why you lost.

if ABCD are your only options, then there are 1 best way to do each of them. you should do that since you act first.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m