• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I quoted her this morning, I kid you not - via MSN.

my blower cannot handle more than 8" and we have another 10-12" coming.

And IL before you get any ideas, it’s a QUOTE and it’s not vulgar so I’m allowed LOL.

• Jennifer don’t worry we got 24" here in Kenosha, Wi Toke 2 hours to snow blow.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Got 30" already, Friday and Saturday we’re supposed to get another 12-20".  FML.  About 30% of my drive is clear now…paramedics can get to my door!

~Jen

medics can get to my door

Is that incase your internet goes down, and you have a heart attack from A&A Withdrawl?

• '10

@Gargantua:

I quoted her this morning, I kid you not - via MSN.

my blower cannot handle more than 8" and we have another 10-12" coming.

Gar, YOU are a mental case! As bad or even worse than Brain Damaged.

LOL was that not funny though?

• @Cmdr:

Got 30" already, Friday and Saturday we’re supposed to get another 12-20".  FML.  About 30% of my drive is clear now…paramedics can get to my door!

~Jen

Where do you live that you got 30"

Official total was 20.2" at O’Hare
    http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/2011/02/historic-storm-ends-at-ohare-international-airport–202-inch-total-citys-3rd-biggest-snowstorm-on-re.html

check this map for storm totals:
    http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/bliz2011-930am.PNG

For the record, Tom Skilling and others were saying Midway is a much better site to take the official measurements.

Other than that, I had like everyone’s snow on top of mine too.  My lowest point is in this picture, taken outside my garage.  You can see it’s 30 inches, some places were up to my breast!

Garage Door.jpg

• '12

We were warned of a “Storm of the Century”, this being just the 11th year of the century I was not that worried.  Stock up on groceries and prepare for the worst they cried on the mass media.  Yawn I was hoping I ‘needed’ my skidoo, now most major or down to dryish pavement.

They certainly don’t make blizzards like they used to.  Now, '77, that was fun in Niagara!  I can remember walking over snow drifts with car antennas sticking out of the snow, the only visible reminder underneath lurked a car!

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/niagarathisweek/article/934878

I went to Jewel (a major chain of grocery stores in the Chicagoland area, they’re owned by some major corporation starting with an A, forget what it is now) the day before and the shelves were picked pretty clean.

Anyway, I wanted to clarify, the NEWS reports what they think the total accumulation is. I report what I had to shovel.  As anyone who has to shovel snow knows implicitely, in high winds, the snow on the roof falls on the driveway (and lawn, but no one shovels that) and adds to what you have to shovel.  If your neighborhood is poorly designed for snow (as many are, since most architects and village planners do not consider this) you can get a lot of snow that should be your neighbors because it blows onto your drive.  Then, of course, is the accumulation of snow plowed onto your drive from the snowplows doing the streets.

I only measured what was pretty sheltered areas of snow.  Areas where the cars blocked some, the overhand of the roof blocked some, etc.  I got 30 to 35 inches of snow in total accumulation.  That is, in the “low” parts.  Some of the drifts were in excess of 36 inches (yard stick height) and I had to try with my roller-ruler.  Assuming it went straight and did not bend, some areas were in excess of 40 inches.

No snowblower in the area I have ever seen has a chute that high, so using it would be blowing the snow right into a wall and back down, thus, useless.  What I ended up doing is clearing a 5’ square area, then shoveling the top down into the “hole” and blowing it out and over the newly lowered wall for a 3 car driveway.  ( I did 2 of 3 cars, still need to find my garbage toters that are completely buried under snow in the 3rd car slot.)

Oh Come on! I shovel my lawn every year. So should YOU!

• Jewel is owned by Super Valu. We got 23.2" of snow . had 5’ drifts all over. Hard to measure snow with all that wind. Houses on east side of block had snow drifts  half way up to there front picture window. Woop de do, winter has finely arrived. so what it’s wis,ill winter. The press needs to get over it. Man everybody filppin out like it never happens. LOL

pfftp, Americans whining about snow.

We’ve got nothing up here in Canada.

If you don’t like the snow, let your car idle since the majority of you guys believe in that global warming crap.

My 74 Chevy Nova alone produces more C02 in an evening drive then an icelandic volcano.

Oh wait no… got that wrong… the 1 Volcano in iceland produced more carbon emissions then the estimated output for all of humanity for the last 200 years, and yet - the earth still cools.

Better sharpen your shovels.

I found it very humorous that a JEEP (like, your traditional jeep) couldnt make it up a small hill, but my pissant little Toyota got up it no problem.

• Meanwhile in Montreal,QC…almost nothing!!!
    Ah,ah,ah, Let it snow. :-o

• '10

@Cmdr:

For the record, Tom Skilling and others were saying Midway is a much better site to take the official measurements.

Other than that, I had like everyone’s snow on top of mine too.  My lowest point is in this picture, taken outside my garage.  You can see it’s 30 inches, some places were up to my breast!

How about some more photos. We dont see any of that white stuff here in Florida.

Pain in the arse making it small enough to post here…my camera sucks, but it’s still 5 times too powerful.

• 2007 AAR League

Snow? That’s like frozen water falling from the sky right? I’ve heard of it.  Best we can do here in Phoenix is some chilly mornings.  Sigh…I guess it’s a burden i’ll have to live with. :-D

@Emperor:

Snow? That’s like frozen water falling from the sky right? I’ve heard of it.  Best we can do here in Phoenix is some chilly mornings.  Sigh…I guess it’s a burden i’ll have to live with. :-D

I’m so murdering you in your sleep!  After that, I’ll have pleasent dreams of eating a Hawaiian feast in Maui!

Or better, Virgin Islands!  (No taxes!)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m