Is Germany at war with China? and vice versa?

• I was in a game where Germany pretty much took control of most of China * a very wierd game with a bunch of dumb players*.  I doubt he followed the rules right but just curious if anyone ran across this before?

• Customizer

In my last game, Japan had taken over all of China.  Then what troops were left went south to fight the Indians.  When Japan decided to attack Amur and turn the Mongolian troops into Soviet troops, some of them went south and liberated some Chinese territories and Japan didn’t have any land units in China to stop them.  After smashing Moscow, some German troops kept going east to take over Chinese territories.
    It is kind of weird to have Germans controlling Chinese territories.

• So lets say the Germans are in India and the Chinese are in Burma, I have two questions

1. Since the Germans are in Calcutta does this mean the Burma road is cut and that China no longer gets its 6IPC bonus and can no longer purchase artillery, and if that is the case, can the Chinese attack the Germans in India?

2. If neither side (German & Chinese) has declared war on eachother, and German troops want to move in to a still free French Indo-China, could the Germans march or blitz across Burma to get there or would this be considered an attack on Chinese forces?

Thank you in advance

• Official Q&A

1. The Burma Road is closed, but Chinese forces can never attack India.

2. Germany must declare war on China before attacking a Chinese-controlled or -occupied territory.

• So German land units and Chinese land units can not occupy the same space without it being considered an attack or a DOW?

• @Clyde85:

So German land units and Chinese land units can not occupy the same space without it being considered an attack or a DOW?

I think that if Japan took a Chinese territory Germany could enter it without declaring war on China.  Then if China attacked they’d only fight the Japanese forces and if they won, they’d take the territory but German forces would be there too.  I don’t know if they could stay there without declaring war.

• Official Q&A

@Clyde85:

So German land units and Chinese land units can not occupy the same space without it being considered an attack or a DOW?

No.  Units from opposite sides can never occupy the same territory at the same time.

@Ruanek:

I think that if Japan took a Japanese territory Germany could enter it without declaring war on China.

True.

@Ruanek:

Then if China attacked they’d only fight the Japanese forces and if they won, they’d take the territory but German forces would be there too.  I don’t know if they could stay there without declaring war.

Not true.  That only applies in sea zones.  When you attack a territory, you attack everything in it.

• if china has kainsu and germany attacks it, would that liberate the teritory to japan or would germany get it?

• Official Q&A

Germany would get it.

• WOW!   So someone really dropped the ball then when they painted those Chinese territories yellow instead of leaving them chinese and putting Japanese roundels on the territory’s at setup.  This ruling confims it if Germany can’t liberate those territories for Japan.  I sure hope in a year or two when the rules are finalized Larry lets current game owners buy a new copy of the board with updated information at a reduced cost.  That’s one of the things that is hard for us to create on our own, the little models and the big board.

• Official Q&A

The colors indicate which power controls a territory at the beginning of the game.  The emblems indicate who the original controller of the territory is for all purposes where original ownership is relevant.  If a territory is your color, but doesn’t have your emblem, put one of your control markers on it at the start of the game.  The colors are relevant only during setup.

Confusing?  Maybe.  However, it is consistent.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

So even though German and China were -allies- during the war,  they can only be at war or neutral during the game?  And China can’t be coerced as an independant player to thwart a SOVIET invasion?

:(

http://www.uglychinesecanadian.com/?p=3309  Here’s the PRESIDENT of China’s son, in uniform during training.

Instead of an “awkward” peace deal for Russia and Japan, it should be a peace deal between China and Japan ! :D :D :D

• @Gargantua:

So even though German and China were -allies- during the war,  they can only be at war or neutral during the game?  And China can’t be coerced as an independant player to thwart a SOVIET invasion?

http://www.uglychinesecanadian.com/?p=3309  Here’s the PRESIDENT of China’s son, in uniform during training.

Instead of an “awkward” peace deal for Russia and Japan, it should be a peace deal between China and Japan ! :D :D :D

Germany and China weren’t allies.  And any agreements that did exist were superseded politically by the agreement with Japan.  (Of course, German and Japan weren’t the closest of allies, either, but that’s a separate issue.)

This is a game of alternate history, shouldn’t you be able to do whatever you want, where the rules don’t clarify any agrements?  Much like Russia and Japan? :D :D :D :D

• @Gargantua:

This is a game of alternate history, shouldn’t you be able to do whatever you want, where the rules don’t clarify any agrements?  Much like Russia and Japan? :D :D :D :D

It’s a game of alternate history based on the historical situation of WWII.  It tries to be historically plausible.  And Germany choosing China as an ally over Japan isn’t plausible at all.

• What I dont understand is that if China and Germany start the game neutral and neither power declares war on the other, then why are they considered on oppsites sides of a conflict instead of just neutral?

I thought that the game needed an express declaration of war from one power to another in order for them to be at war, which was either spoken between the 2 powers or demonstrated through an attack by one power against the other, is this not correct?

• Official Q&A

Neither China nor Germany starts the game neutral.  A neutral power is one which is at war with no one.  China is at war with Japan, and Germany is at war with UK/ANZAC and France.

Because of these situations, China is on the Allies side, and Germany is on the Axis side.  Even though China and Germany are not at war with each other, they are still on opposite sides of the conflict because China is at war with Germany’s ally and Germany is at war with China’s allies.

• @Krieghund:

Neither China nor Germany starts the game neutral.  A neutral power is one which is at war with no one.  China is at war with Japan, and Germany is at war with UK/ANZAC and France.

Because of these situations, China is on the Allies side, and Germany is on the Axis side.  Even though China and Germany are not at war with each other, they are still on opposite sides of the conflict because China is at war with Germany’s ally and Germany is at war with China’s allies.

THWOKK

Nailed it!

Still think the DOW system needs to be rethought and more streamlined.

well this is why the game “Should” have been - Axis / Allies / Comintern

That would have solved all the balance problem, and diplomacy would have been just as important as war. :P

• I am so glad I brought this thread back up.  :mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m