Viktor Bout, international arms dealer

• What’s your thoughts on international arms dealers?

• The problem with things like this is who decides what he does is illegal? American and European Arms Dealers sell weapons to huge numbers of countries around the world. Why is there nothing illegal about those trades?

Or is it only illegal when the weapons are being given to ‘baddies’? In that case who decides who is the ‘bad’ side? The UN? The USA? If all it takes to be an illegal Arms Dealer is to sell weapons to a country that ignores international law and the UN then a lot of the CEOs in the US Military–industrial complex, and a lot of people in the DoD need to go to jail. And the same goes for the heads of other Arms producers worldwide.

It seems like the current setup is that it is only illegal to Deal in Arms if you are selling them to someone the “West” (specifically the US) isn’t on good terms with. And being from the former USSR certainly doesn’t help your case.

• And lets not get political. I think it may go down that road, so just saying.

• @vontysk:

The problem with things like this is who decides what he does is illegal? American and European Arms Dealers sell weapons to huge numbers of countries around the world. Why is there nothing illegal about those trades?

Or is it only illegal when the weapons are being given to ‘baddies’? In that case who decides who is the ‘bad’ side? The UN? The USA? If all it takes to be an illegal Arms Dealer is to sell weapons to a country that ignores international law and the UN then a lot of the CEOs in the US Military–industrial complex, and a lot of people in the DoD need to go to jail. And the same goes for the heads of other Arms producers worldwide.

It seems like the current setup is that it is only illegal to Deal in Arms if you are selling them to someone the “West” (specifically the US) isn’t on good terms with. And being from the former USSR certainly doesn’t help your case.

I agree with you. Some countries because geography and political pressure can not fight a proper war. Arms dealers are necessary.

• This is a topic that is on the edge of politics…as IL has already pointed out.  But, in hopes of quality discussions, I would add that the ethics of arms dealing is quite complicated…http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_dealer#Ethical_issues.

Can one be an arms dealer but still be ethical?  At the minimum I would think one would want to comply with the applicable national http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control and international laws  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_dealer#International_treaties_for_arms_control.

I wonder what internal policies (if any) that various worldwide manufacturers have on this?  This might shed some light on the topic. Google didn’t give me anything meaningful here…I suspect this is something they don’t distribute outside their companies.

• @Gargantua:

Business is Business, and all’s fair in love and WAR.

I hope one day if the sht ever hits the fan in a place like my country, that arms dealers will be around so that the general populace can defend themselves and have a hope of fighting for their homes and freedom.

Well said, i agree with you.

• @Gargantua:

all’s fair … if the sht ever hits the fan…

This I have to agree with.  Its one thing to debate these topics from the comfort of our living room while watching vapid TV, quite another to have to live through a horrific situation.  Not ever having the misfortune of living amid a conflict such as a civil war, I certainly don’t think I am qualified to judge those who do and the actions they take so they and their families can survive.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Wow my neutral response was deleted.

Thanks IL.

Lame.

• Yes because you use poor and vulgar language to describe it.

Kinda figures don’t you think?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Just think of the poor and vulgar language I use to describe some of the people on this forum in real life IL.

And there is nothing poor or vulgar about it, The comments are quality, and the method direct, this isn’t a sunday school - it’s too bad you can’t stand to have a little dirt on your shirt.

If I wasn’t already banned 5 times a day, I would care more about it perhaps.

It’s nice that I can be quoted however, and that those quoted comments are not deleted - that means that your removals of my posts are spiteful - and targetted.  How poor and vulgar.

• And there is nothing poor or vulgar about it, The comments are quality, and the method direct, this isn’t a sunday school - it’s too bad you can’t stand to have a little dirt on your shirt.

It is what standards this site allows, not your standards.

This is what you need to abide by. If you prefer vulgar language, then leave this site and go to You Tube.

And this is not the local bar either. Children visit these sites and by children we mean under 18 years old. :|

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m