I build (fill in blank) the least - now WITHOUT AA guns as a choice!

• What unit do YOU build the least, and why?

• I build AA guns the least.  Usually I build 1 IC in Asia tops, and ferry the Japan AA gun over if there are Allied bombers in Russia.

(edit) a poster pointed out ICs should be on the list, or ICs/AAs eliminated; I think that was a well made point, so I cut AA guns from the list.  The unit I buy least is cruisers.  I’ve actually never bought a cruiser, evar.

“wat, nevar evar?”

nevar!

• @Bunnies:

I build AA guns the least.  Usually I build 1 IC in Asia tops, and ferry the Japan AA gun over if there are Allied bombers in Russia.

AA Guns as well. Battleships would be my second choice but I love getting 1 or 2 once in a while for the US if I’m going Pacific.

• '16 '15 '10

My answer could be battleships or cruisers, since I’ve never bought either.

I’m surprised to see aa guns because sometimes Japan needs to buy one if Allies have bombers at their disposal.

• '10

I think if you’re going to have AA guns that you should add ICs to the list. The only time I’ve ever bought one is to protect a built IC.

Other than that I don’t buy many cruisers, or artillery. I know I shlould probably invest a little more in art, but I’d rather just spend the extra IPCs and get a battleship with the US or maybe Japan than buy a cruiser.

• @Col.:

I think if you’re going to have AA guns that you should add ICs to the list. The only time I’ve ever bought one is to protect a built IC.

Other than that I don’t buy many cruisers, or artillery. I know I shlould probably invest a little more in art, but I’d rather just spend the extra IPCs and get a battleship with the US or maybe Japan than buy a cruiser.

I hadn’t thought of that, but good point.  I eliminated AA guns from the list; although AA guns are technically a production unit, they’re very much like ICs; very situation-based and conditional.

• @Zhukov44:

My answer could be battleships or cruisers, since I’ve never bought either.

I’m surprised to see aa guns because sometimes Japan needs to buy one if Allies have bombers at their disposal.

I usually ferry an AA gun over from Japan to protect a new IC if enemy bombers are threatening my zones and there aren’t many other targets to hit.  But I don’t always build an AA gun to replace it - if Japan’s pushed enough in Asia, Allied bombers won’t have any safe landing zones.

J1 IC/2 transport builds, though . . . yes, I can definitely see AA guns needing to be built in that case on J2.

• Hmmm, tough love for the naval units… They are expensive though.

But adjusting them to lower IPC might still unbalance the game in other ways. Lower them too much, and the Allies will get an undue advantage.

• Subs are conditional to a naval attack/counterattack strategy, but I think them extremely useful.  Admittedly, I don’t build them in a lot of games, but in the games I do build them in - woha.

• you forgot DESTROYERS.  i voted bombers, only cause i feel america is the only country that can afford that luxury item.  all other countries require units that are good for attacks and also Defense.  the bomber doesnt fit this criteria.  and subs are the new cannon fodder for naval battles.  but honestly i have purchased bombers with EVERY country at one point or another

• I did forget destroyers!  Edited poll.

• Anyone voting DD as not understood something in naval fights.
    Anyone voting bombers as not understood the value of strategic bombing on his killing target (Russia or Germany usually).
    For ground units, Art is the call (if no AA guns), but the winner should be in the ships area.
    I will have to say Crusers, very close to Battleships, and maybe of subs depending which side you play the most often.

• Carriers? Really? UK needs carriers. And who builds more Battleships then carriers…. Maybe a monogam US player?

• @GCar:

Anyone voting DD as not understood something in naval fights.
    Anyone voting bombers as not understood the value of strategic bombing on his killing target (Russia or Germany usually).
    For ground units, Art is the call (if no AA guns), but the winner should be in the ships area.
    I will have to say Crusers, very close to Battleships, and maybe of subs depending which side you play the most often.

i disagree… Strategic bombing is Valuable considering the OOB rules,  it applies to damage only which reduces deployment capabilities.  however, depending on the game situation, it may be far more beneficial to add 4 Inf. to your forces on either attacking or defending.  especially when you risk your bombers to AA Fire.

Russia Barely has the Money for bombers, Germany is better off with 2 more tanks or 4 Inf., Britain usually needs that money for the navy or complex/units elsewhere, Japan usually needs more naval units or another complex, USA is the only when with the non threatened expendable wealth early on for bombers…   again this does depend on the current game situation, what round, how certain battles go, etc…

but to vote Bombers doesnt mean the player doesnt understand the value… it means he purchases these units less for whatever reason…
     the only other unit i purchase in the quantity i purchase bombers is Battleships, but they are more appealing for obvious reasons and every country (except Russia) has a need for a battleship at some point.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m