FMG COMBAT UNITS - Rules: ELITE INFANTRY

• '10

Hello,
          As the first set is about to be released, I am getting a lot of questions from customers in regards to the expansion pieces we are including.  I am often asked “Will you include rules for these”.

My initial idea was that the house rules of this forum would fill the gap, but many of my customers are not members.

I have decided that I will include a print out of “Suggested Rules” for the expansion pieces.  The sheet will also include an invitation to this community and direction to the HOUSE RULE forum.

I have opened this thread to discuss ELITE INFANTRY and expansion rules for their use.

Please feel free to chime in as the BEST options will be posted in this handout.

FMG COMBAT UNITS will have one “Rifle Infantry” and one “Sub-machine gun Infantry” types

• Customizer

I think Elite infantry would be best used in a similar roll to the marines of the original AAP.  I suggest this:

Cost: 4
    Attack: 1*
    Defense: 2
    Move: 1

Attacks at 2 if unloaded from a land (TRUCK), air, or sea transport.

Under this rule elite infantry basically become marines/paratroopers/shock troopers.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21770.0
    (on second thought perhaps trucks should be 3 ipcs giving the elite infantry status)

• Elite infantry:

1-3-2-3

These defend at 3  and move 2 spaces

If matched with any other land unit they can get a +1 bonus attack.

They only cost 3 IPC, but can be built at the rate of one per turn and never more than 6 at one time.

• '10

@Imperious:

Elite infantry:

1-3-2-3

These defend at 3  and move 2 spaces

If matched with any other land unit they can get a +1 bonus attack.

They only cost 3 IPC, but can be built at the rate of one per turn and never more than 6 at one time.

I like the idea of having the number of them limited.  But allowing them to move 2 reduces the effectiveness of both Mec INF and Trucks?

What about your above stats (3 Def is great!) but they move just 1 like regular inf?

Also they gain a +1 if used as Paratroopers (Dropped from Air Transport into Battle) of on Naval Assaults (Like Marines)

• OK… so this 1-3  two move unit has a new special mission ability.

In conjunction with air transport units, these are the only types of units that can be dropped in combat. normal infantry can be dropped by air transport in NCM.

AS airborne troops they attack at +2, and with a matching armor unit they can attack at 2. ( artillery, mech, or tanks)

only 6 possible at one time and can only build one per turn/ replace one per turn.

cost is now at 4 for these.

• '10

@Imperious:

OK… so this 1-3  two move unit has a new special mission ability.

In conjunction with air transport units, these are the only types of units that can be dropped in combat. normal infantry can be dropped by air transport in NCM.

AS airborne troops they attack at +2, and with a matching armor unit they can attack at 2. ( artillery, mech, or tanks)

only 6 possible at one time and can only build one per turn/ replace one per turn.

cost is now at 4 for these.

I do not quite understand the elite unit that you propose. Is it a 1-3-1-4 unit that attacks when air dropped at 2 or attacks at 2 on ground attacks when matched with armor or artillary?

• I do not quite understand the elite unit that you propose. Is it a 1-3-1-4 unit that attacks when air dropped at 2 or attacks at 2 on ground attacks when matched with armor or artillery?

Yes, and you can only build 6 and one at a time, plus you can only use them as airborne units. They are at 2 when matched with any non-infantry land unit.

Alternately, this elite infantry could be a 2-3-2-4 unit as well. Waffen SS units had their own logistical supply ( hence the 2 move). Limit must be at 6. With tanks they could get a +1 combat boost either attack or defense, so these are prized units.

I think the key idea is the boost +1 on either attack or defense with another unit and exclusivity on airborne capability. I prefer a 2-3-2-4 unit. Don’t really buy into this idea that infantry defend at double the capability as they attack.

Another idea is the boost only applies when they are in originally controlled areas that you start with. The Waffen and Shock Armies fought better in home areas.

I like the idea of a 1-3 unit making them as ideal garrison duty with the same characteristic as the above idea ( defend at 3 only in home areas), but what would you call these?

Perhaps thats what the fortification unit can become…. a 1-3 unit?

• '10

@Imperious:

I do not quite understand the elite unit that you propose. Is it a 1-3-1-4 unit that attacks when air dropped at 2 or attacks at 2 on ground attacks when matched with armor or artillery?

Yes, and you can only build 6 and one at a time, plus you can only use them as airborne units. They are at 2 when matched with any non-infantry land unit.

Alternately, this elite infantry could be a 2-3-2-4 unit as well. Waffen SS units had their own logistical supply ( hence the 2 move). Limit must be at 6. With tanks they could get a +1 combat boost either attack or defense, so these are prized units.

I think the key idea is the boost +1 on either attack or defense with another unit and exclusivity on airborne capability. I prefer a 2-3-2-4 unit. Don’t really buy into this idea that infantry defend at double the capability as they attack.

Another idea is the boost only applies when they are in originally controlled areas that you start with. The Waffen and Shock Armies fought better in home areas.

I like the idea of a 1-3 unit making them as ideal garrison duty with the same characteristic as the above idea ( defend at 3 only in home areas), but what would you call these?

Perhaps thats what the fortification unit can become…. a 1-3 unit?

I think they should also get a bonus for landing from transports?  Like Marines from AAP?

• Well perhaps. Problem is they are now being a bit overloaded with duty:

Airborne troops
    Marines
    Waffen SS/ Elite/ Crack troops

They should have a defined role and since sculpts have a small automatic machine gun, it stands to reason that these should be modeled after elite or airborne category.

For Marines, i think a token might work ( placed under unit) and really only US needs them. Id just make a special marine unit for US only like you did with the German trench coat sculpt.

Sure Japan had Marines but not that many. Marines didn’t really carry MP40, Brens or Psh… these are products of airborne or elite troops. I guess a few had Thompsons but most did not.

• '10

@Imperious:

Well perhaps. Problem is they are now being a bit overloaded with duty:

Airborne troops
    Marines

They should have a defined role and since sculpts have a small automatic machine gun, it stands to reason that these should be modeled after elite or airborne category.

For Marines, i think a token might work ( placed under unit) and really only US needs them. Id just make a special marine unit for US only like you did with the German trench coat sculpt.

Sure Japan had Marines but not that many. Marines didn’t really carry MP40, Brens or Psh… these are products of airborne or elite troops. I guess a few had Thompsons but most did not.

Yes, bring on the Marines! FMGs U.S. unit could be used for Marines (Pacific) and Paratroopers (Europe).

• @Imperious:

Well perhaps. Problem is they are now being a bit overloaded with duty:

Airborne troops
    Marines

Personally I don’t see how they can’t fill all of these roles, though I am stumped over how to best represent them rules-wise :|. I think they deserve something a bit more unique than simply being stronger than regular inf. Perhaps giving them an automatic +1 to their attack when being used as airbornes and/or marines. For regular land battles, perhaps allow them a chance to destroy a chosen enemy unit instead of being involved in regular combat (representing a sabotage mission or similar)?
    EDIT: When acting as airbornes, perhaps allow them to keep an enemy unit from joining combat for x rounds. The whole idea with paratroops is that they capture crucial points like bridges etc ahead of the main force after all.

• They should not, thats why i posted that they should not have all these roles.

Elite Infantry are basically crack, veteran units of each army.

Waffen SS
    Shock Troops
    Rangers
    Guard troops
    Kwangtung Army
    Celere motorized infantry

But +1 in combat ( both attack and defense)

Airborne and Marines should just be regular infantry with special bonus on first round, where you pay 1 IPC ( considered training for drop and supplies)

Airborne can be considered “elite” troops however, but to mix them like this is not realistic.
    Marines are special troops trained for sea invasions and are also “elite” but not in the same task as above.

When acting as airborne, perhaps allow them to keep an enemy unit from joining combat for x rounds.

Interesting idea here. So when they get dropped in an area with 1 enemy infantry, how do they fight anybody?

• So when they get dropped in an area with 1 enemy infantry, how do they fight anybody?

Didn’t think of this happening. :| I guess you’d just have to have at least 1 defending unit fighting at any one time, regardless of the amount of paras.

Airborne can be considered “elite” troops however, but to mix them like this is not realistic.
    Marines are special troops trained for sea invasions and are also “elite” but not in the same task as above.

I admit that realism is compromised here, but if elite infantry are allowed to fill all these roles, it will mean less unit types and therefore less compexity. Believe me when I say I’m still all for historical accuracy and realism, this is just my take on things.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m