• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Every game of global I have played.  Where ANZAC takes Dutch New Guinea for their National Objective, the Japanese always seem to make a point of going to Dutch New Guinea itself, sending considerable resources to kill the lone infantry who almost always gets stranded there.

Why?

Japan could take New Britain, the Solomans, or New Guinea for free, no battle, no contest, and the ANZAC N.O. is averted, plus the Japanese could count another island towards their own N.O. if they take the solomans.

Is it the roundel that attracts the Japs? Like Bees to honey? Or is it the piece that is stationed there?

So often as well, I have found that once the Japs retake said territory - on some occassions their own infantry get stranded there.  When this happens why is it then aswell, that they don’t move their unit over to take New Guinea for free?  Is it because the country is a different color? Because it’s worth nothing? Or maybe that they feel the need to defend their roundel on the board?  It’s brainless, because when things start to become sour, and ANZAC returns in force, if you don’t move they only have to take 1 territory instead of 2.

And why don’t the ANZAC ever move their unit that gets stationed there to NGU? Especially if you know that clearly Dutch New Guineau is a major target.

Has anyone else shared this experience?  And does someone have an explanation as to why this happens?  Check your games closely, you’ll see what I mean.  Even look back at old games you have played… It’s frightening.

• Customizer

Yes, I have seen this same situation in most of my games as well.  The only explanation I can give is because Japan wants to kill those ANZAC forces on Dutch New Guinea so they don’t manage to come back and cause trouble later.

I bet this happens a lot less with the new NO for Japan regarding the Solomons.  Now not only can they take an ANZAC island without a fight and deprive ANZAC of an NO, it also helps Japan’s NO.

• In my experience, ANZAC is a major factor in helping the US win the pacific.  My ANZAC strategy is not to buy anything in the first turn.  Save the 10.  Also take New Guinea with entire ANZAC fleet.  It deters the Japs from invading.  On ANZAC turn 2 you now have 28 IPC (10 from start, 10 from turn 1 and 8 from 2 bonuses).  A battleship and destroyer or a Carrier and fighter plus extra makes ANZAC a nice little fleet and keep Japan on their toes.

So, as Japan, what would you do?  Fight 3 Navy’s (US, UK and ANZAC) or take that little stinking island to remove bonus and a fleet?

Well $28 doesn’t get you a Battleship AND a Carrier.  And with alpha setups - you don’t get the N.O. until you are at war.

But I hear what you are saying.

As Japan, any fleet that can get in your way and cause you grief as you expand your empire… can be considered a major problem.

• The 28 gets a BB and a DD.  Or, a Carrier and Fighter and something else.  I tend to go with the Carrier and Fighter.  More fire power.  Plus, if Japan takes NG with one troop, you are now at war and you can retake it very easily unless he parks a BIG fleet in that seazone.  In that case, it was a dumb move because he spreads himself too thin AND the US comes in.

With out being at War, ANZAC takes NG and saves 10 IPC on turn 1.  Turn 2 buy Carrier and DD with the 20 IPC.  Still a nice little Navy……

ANZ 1 save 10 take java, end with 24

ANZ 2 build a carrier, dst,  go to war, take DGU collect 24 with NO’s. (Unless Japan has attacked and taken certain territories)

ANZ 3 build a bat

So you could have the starting cru, dst, and aircraft, + dst, acc, bat you built.

1 bat
    2 fgt
    1 cru
    1 acc
    2 dst

Not bad by Anzac 3…  Need a transport though.

• @Gargantua:

ANZ 1 save 10 take java, end with 24

ANZ 2 build a carrier, dst,  go to war, take DGU collect 24 with NO’s. (Unless Japan has attacked and taken certain territories)

ANZ 3 build a bat

So you could have the starting cru, dst, and aircraft, + dst, acc, bat you built.

1 bat
    2 fgt
    1 cru
    1 acc
    2 dst

Not bad by Anzac 3…  Need a transport though.

I approve.

• @Gargantua:

Need a transport though.

Why?  You aren’t taking any islands.  Nothing really to take.  Then you have to build troops.  ANZAC is strictly a annex Navy of the US.  That is their best use.  ANZAC Navy is to the US what Italy is to the German army.

We clearly have different outlooks on naval theory.

Transports are the MOST important unit in a navy. Without transports, a navy is essentially useless.

Sure, Yep, you can have a FAT navy off queensland, mixed with the U.S. that the japs can’t take out.  But what does it matter if they have all the island they want, are collecting all the NO’s they need, and are laughing all the way to the bank?

You’ve got to get in there and get dirty, even if that means your transport dies.  you’ll get + 4, they’ll lose 4, and they’ll have to attack the island AGAIN to have a chance at taking it back.  It’s how you slow down Japan, making them pay for the same real estate twice.  Or making them unable to do so.

I’ll give the U.S. 1000 battleships off the coast of japan, if they aren’t allowed to build transports for the entire game, and I already have all or most of the islands.  Taking ground is where the victory is made.

The islands/areas to take, include the 4 DEI islands, possible factories built on the mainland in FIC or Hong Kong that are left exposed, the Phillipines, Malaya, and other islands involving U.S. or Anzac NO’s.

I should also note, that

SOLOMANS effects 3 Allied NO’s and 1 Japanese NO.  That’s a total possible switch of 20 IPC’s

New Guinea, and New Britain effect BOTH ANZAC NO’s

and DGU only effects 1 N.O. and is usually defended…  why people playing Japan attack it is BEYOND me.

• I totally agree with you that transports and infantry are vital.  But not to ANZAC.  They never make enough money to effectively use them to take land.  ESPECIALLY on mainland china.  If ANZAC s taking over mainland china, one of two things have happened : UK is wiped out, or Japan is getting whacked by the US.  Either one means the game is nearly over.

Let the US and UK take the land.  They make enough.  ANZAC should strictly be used as a Naval power.

My opinion of course.  :mrgreen:

• Now i’m not familiar with the Alpha set up , but in the normal game it is possible for India to take Dutch NG and give Anzac their bonus in round 1 (if my memory isn’t failing, been a while since i played Global…)
    Of course that means UK can take less for itself. It’s a choice and an option if you have viable plans with the Anzac’s money, got to ask yourself if it is worth it.

As for transports, yes they are of course vital, but certain transportless fleet do have their use as well (wolfpacks to give example)

On topic: maybe Japan prefers Dutch New Guinea because it is the closest to mainland asia and the bigger money islands, and (as much as possible) out of reach of US forces.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m