• OK, what function do AA guns serve?  If I am understanding the rules right, they dont really perform any function, coz their defense is so poor (1 or less).  I assume they are to protect industrial units where you have no troops but someone attacking with 3 planes (or even 1) will just destroy the gun straight away and with a role of 1 needed, it is very rare that the AA gun will score a hit?

Am I missing something?

• AA guns have a one time seperate roll against invaiding air units before normal combat and than do not participate in combat; units therefore preemptively destroyed by an AA never participate in combat. They cannot be destroyed. While not typically pivotal (it’s uncommon to purchase an additional AA), they make a player think through the consequences of sending air to an area to compliment a land force. Most importantly, without AA guns, there would virtually be no consequences/effective counter to strategic bombardments.

• @dustwhit:

AA guns have a one time seperate roll against invaiding air units before normal combat and than do not participate in combat; units therefore preemptively destroyed by an AA never participate in combat. They cannot be destroyed. While not typically pivotal (it’s uncommon to purchase an additional AA), they make a player think through the consequences of sending air to an area to compliment a land force. Most importantly, without AA guns, there would virtually be no consequences/effective counter to strategic bombardments.

They can be destroyed if a transport carrying them is sunk

• Aaah, so I was misunderstanding the rules…. :roll:

So if I have an anti aircraft gun in england and someone sends over 3 bomber units, I roll three dice before the combat starts, and every “1” rolled, takes out a bomber unit straight away and they dont get to fight?

• A few common examples of using the AA to your advantage (other than having them guard your ICs) is:

1. Russia moving the AA from Cau to WR if you fear the loss of the territory.
    2. UK moving the AA on Ind back to Per along with remaining land forces, effectively reinforcing a more defendible choke point against Japanese fighters.

Essentially, why give someone else your AA?

–- ---- ----
    Thanks, Calvin. You are correct about being destroyed while in a transport.

• @Sir:

So if I have an anti aircraft gun in england and someone sends over 3 bomber units, I roll three dice before the combat starts, and every “1” rolled, takes out a bomber unit straight away and they dont get to fight?

Correct

• @Sir:

Aaah, so I was misunderstanding the rules…. :roll:

Yes, and this is also true if your opponent is sending in forces to attack your territory that contains an AA gun.  If they send ANY air units the AA gun gets a single shot at each and every one of them.  A roll of 1 will remove that air unit from the attack before they even get to participate.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m