• If i have an airbase i could scramble to an adjacent territory. Why only in sea zones?

• That would be too unbalancing since stacks can be defended from the adjacent territory. It allows planes to violate the rule about not landing in captured territories, since a plane can land one space away and defend the captured territory.

• Well no. If the rule was allowed, defending planes just return to their original space following combat. They never stay in the just captured space. They fly out to adjacent area, defend, then return to their original space.

• @Imperious:

Well no. If the rule was allowed, defending planes just return to their original space following combat. They never stay in the just captured space. They fly out to adjacent area, defend, then return to their original space.

I mean this: Russia has massed troops in Poland with a supporting stack in East Poland. Germany atatcks from berlin(which it built an airbase in) and lands the planes in Germany. This allows those planes to defend Poland, a captured territory.

• If you want a rationale, just think of the sea and land zone as one geographic area that makes this kind of defense possible with airbases. Separate land areas are for whatever reason, separate.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

That would be too unbalancing since stacks can be defended from the adjacent territory. It allows planes to violate the rule about not landing in captured territories, since a plane can land one space away and defend the captured territory.

That’s angle that I hadn’t thought about, good point. I am split on allowing land scramble w/AB. For now I think it should be allowed for only sz’s so we can see how that plays out. Once the dust settles in a few months take a look at this again.

• I mean this: Russia has massed troops in Poland with a supporting stack in East Poland. Germany atatcks from berlin(which it built an airbase in) and lands the planes in Germany. This allows those planes to defend Poland, a captured territory.

Not sure you understand the rule that was proposed: Germany attacks ( don’t matter where) and Russia defends in Poland, so i assume you mean that the Soviets have an air base under soviet control adjacent to Poland?

In that case the planes help out the defense in Poland and at the end of Germany’s attack ( if the Germans retreat and lose) the planes return to that adjacent land space where they flew in from.

They are not remaining in Poland and not violating any rules. They are there only for the defense rolls.

The only exception to this rule is if you are also attacking the same territory as where the planes came from. IN that case the planes are ‘pinned’ and must remain in the territory they are being attacked from.

• @Imperious:

I mean this: Russia has massed troops in Poland with a supporting stack in East Poland. Germany atatcks from berlin(which it built an airbase in) and lands the planes in Germany. This allows those planes to defend Poland, a captured territory.

Not sure you understand the rule that was proposed: Germany attacks ( don’t matter where) and Russia defends in Poland, so i assume you mean that the Soviets have an air base under soviet control adjacent to Poland?

In that case the planes help out the defense in Poland and at the end of Germany’s attack ( if the Germans retreat and lose) the planes return to that adjacent land space where they flew in from.

They are not remaining in Poland and not violating any rules. They are there only for the defense rolls.

The only exception to this rule is if you are also attacking the same territory as where the planes came from. IN that case the planes are ‘pinned’ and must remain in the territory they are being attacked from.

I know that. I mean that, essentially, planes can defend territories that were just captured.

• Yes, but that would not happen often and it is always a defender choice ( because you may be wasting them in this manner in lost causes) and lastly, the proposal is limited to 3 planes depending on AB damage. If AB damage is 2, then the limit is now 2 planes.

• Simple.  The airbase is located near the coastline, so planes can fly 0-50 miles or whatever out to sea to defend.

Planes in Berlin shouldn’t be able to defend Poland in the same manner, no.

Larry’s Alpha + includes a clarification that planes on a Jap airbase couldn’t defend against an amphibious assault (if no naval battle) on Korea.  That’s because the Korean coastline is too far away from the Jap airbase for scrambling….

Lastly, remember A&A is an abstraction.  Not all the rules have good reason.

In AA50 you can bombard France from the Mediterranean immediately after France is captured by an amphibious assault from Z7.  Battleships that can launch salvos hundreds of miles with pinpoint accuracy?

Just roll with Larry’s rules and enjoy the game, man.  Scrambling is for sea zones only.  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m