Technology is a bad strategic investment

• @gamerman01:

@JamesAleman:

1 power per turn, extra 6’s ignored. No powers in Europe, only Global.

Great point, James.  That’s right, there is no tech in Europe (or Pacific) so don’t worry about that.

But he may want to have it as a
    house rule

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@JamesAleman:

1 power per turn, extra 6’s ignored. No powers in Europe, only Global.

Great point, James.  That’s right, there is no tech in Europe (or Pacific) so don’t worry about that.

But he may want to have it as a
    house rule

I doubt it, because he just said he doesn’t think anyone can afford it.

• oh, i figured it was included in E40 too… might have misread sth somewhere…

thank you for the correction!

• Ok here’s my 2 cents on techs. I’ll start by saying Spring 1942, is the first edition I played (though I’ve read the rules for some older ones) and my group houseruled in tech tokens. Playing G1940 I like the way techs work now. From threads I’ve read I appear to be in the minority on this. The problem with tokens (IMO) is that it takes a lot less thought. If you spend IPCs a turn on dice with tokens you get every die you rolled last rolled plus the number of dice you bought. There is much less risk there. With no tokens you need to think a lot harder about it. With no tokens you get 1 die per 5IPCs regardless of previously spent IPCs. You need to think “Do I feel lucky with 1 die or do I need more?”.
    One great point Gamer brought up is that for each tech you get on a chart, it’s that much better of a chance that you’ll get one of the ones that you really want. Also like he pointed out, pretty much the entire second chart help USA, UK, and Japan a lot. Pretty much the entire first chart does Germany and Russia good. War Bonds is great to hit early game (yes I understand you need to hit a 6 then a 5 in order to get it). That extra 1d6 will help out especially late game. Also R1 Russia hit rockets in 2 games I’ve played. If I’m remembering right, there are 2 German complexes, and 1 Italian complex within 3 spaces of Russian borders. Rockets can be devistating to anybody’s economy having to repair complexes to use them to full capacity.
    Unless I missed it, here’s the big point that I’m surprised nobody pointed out. Tech dice are purchased BEFORE units! If you get Rockets, it might be worth the 6 IPC investment to get an AA gun where you were going to buy a tank. If you get Advanced Artillery, you might replace some of the Mech you were going to buy to buy some Artillery to support that stack of Infantry you have. Where you would have 10 @ 2 (plus any other units) on defense, add 5 Artillery and you now have 15 @ 2 (again plus any other units) on offense. That’s a pretty huge swing for 20 IPCs.
    As Gamer pointed out Super Subs is great. Taking Subs from having a 33% chace for a successful attack to a 50% chance is great. Factor in also the first strike assuming the defender has no Destroyer is great with a stack of subs. With Improved Shipyards (which especially if aquired early enough for a naval heavy power is always great to save money).
    As far as play by fourm goes I’d love to give it a go. I just hate computerized dice. They never seem random enough. Anyway that’s my 2 cents.

• TripleA

while larry is in the process of making changes, i hope he goes back to tech tokens.

• And this thread is baaaaa-aaaack….

• heavy bombers combined with long range aircraft is still a very formable straitegy. Ive won many wars (games) this way.

• @lnmajor:

heavy bombers combined with long range aircraft is still a very formable straitegy. Ive won many wars (games) this way.

it is awfully strong, but “a strategy”?

• OK, weapon. Does that make you feel better?  :-P

• @SalothSar:

Bring back the tokens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Why?

• TripleA

they helped to level out the variance in cost of technology.

and they lower the average cost of technology which is overpriced.

rolling for technology is fun, tech tokens bring more tech rolls.

tech tokens = more fun

• @lnmajor:

OK, weapon. Does that make you feel better?  :-P

Yes  :lol:

• @SalothSar:

Technology can kill your X-wife!

But it cannot teach people how to spell words correctly.

• @SalothSar:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@SalothSar:

Technology can kill your X-wife!

But it cannot teach people how to spell words correctly.

Hey Mr. Spelling Police, you don’t like me?

I generally don’t like people who make unfounded assertions and says “You’re wrong, I’m right” all the time.

• I’m sorry, I also don’t like people who assume I’m a homosexual for disagreeing with them.

• TripleA

please stop spamming this thread, and the boards in general.

salothsar is continually spamming the boards, so for all others please do not respond to his off topic posts. it only creates more off topic posts.

• @allweneedislove:

please stop spamming this thread, and the boards in general.

salothsar is continually spamming the boards, so for all others please do not respond to his off topic posts. it only creates more off topic posts.

Calvin (and everyone), remember that you can always delete your posts (that are not in the Play Boardgames sections).  So it would be nice, Calvin, if you’d delete off-topic posts, at least after the intended user has read them.  I will delete this post in the near future, as well.

• @allweneedislove:

they helped to level out the variance in cost of technology.

and they lower the average cost of technology which is overpriced.

rolling for technology is fun, tech tokens bring more tech rolls.

tech tokens = more fun

America at war gets 82+ IPC’s per turn, so if tech tokens only cost 5 I think you will have America and other nations picking up techs very rapidly.

If I house rule and play tokens, I will probably also house rule a cost of 6 or 7 per token, rather than going straight from no tokens to tokens (pretty dramatic change).

• So how did that game turn out between gamerman and allweneed?

• @maverick_76:

So how did that game turn out between gamerman and allweneed?

Mav -

Actually, I just called for an end to that game.

Larry just came out with a totally re-done ruleset and starting setup for 1940, rendering that game instantly obsolete.

I got diced horribly in that game with Germany and Japan.  I got very lucky and hit 3 early techs, each for 5 IPC’s, proving my point that tech may come much cheaper than 30 IPC’s (that’s just an average).  I got super subs and radar with Japan, and paratroopers with Italy.  The paratroopers with Italy should prove very useful because you can use Ally’s airbases (so three on the mainland alone, and if Gibraltar could be secured, another one there).

Anyway, in my opinion dice ruined our game.  For one example, I lost both German bombers in the most recent round.  One to AA fire on an SBR, and the other to a sub/Bomber combo on a destroyer (and the destroyer survived).

So the game was not long enough to prove one way or the other how valuable those techs would be.  You can look at the game, and some of the maps, and draw your own conclusions since I am of course biased.

I just proposed to Allweneed that we rematch with similar conditions (also with me buying tanks, cruisers, tacs, and battleships freely and him shunning them because he says they’re a bad buy).  I’m awaiting his reply.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m