• I’m not sure if these questions have been addressed already, and if they have, I’m sorry!

In AAE40, if a power is knocked out of the game, is it possible that its allies can take over its remaining territories to add to their own production totals? Say for example France and/or the UK are taken out by Germany; can the American or Soviet players assume control of their African territories by moving troops into them before the Italian player takes them? Or, must we wait for our opponents to take a territory before we can ‘liberate’ it and add it to our surviving powers income? I feel the rulebook isn’t completely clear on this issue.

My second question… What is the purpose of the Canadian roundels on the map? The rule book doesn’t seem to say anything about them. I assume the Canadian territories contribute to the UK’s income, so why complicate things with the different symbols?

Thanks guys.

• Answer to Question 1:  Yes, the enemy has to conquer an ally’s territory before you can “liberate” it.  You cannot simply move into your ally’s territories and take them over even if the ally’s capital is in enemy hands.  As soon as the capital is liberated, any territories of that ally that are controlled by other allies revert back to their original controller.
    The exception to this rule is Dutch territories, they can be non-combat moved into by UK ground forces (or ANZAC in Pac40) and taken over by them.

Answer to Question 2:  I’m not entirely sure why the roundels, perhaps it’s a game designer nod to the Canadian contribution to the Allied war effort.  They do look cool, though.

• Also Bob Mickleson is going to make Canada roundels for people who want to play them. I assume they will follow the same rules as the ANZAC in terms of war and probably will go after ANZAC.

• Here is the answer I gave you on the other forum:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19919.msg691283#msg691283

Personal Message (Online)

Re: AAG40 FAQ
    « Reply #292 on: Today at 01:35:30 am »
    Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
    Quote from: Admiral T on Today at 01:25:12 am
    I’m not sure if these questions have been addressed already, and if they have, I’m sorry!

In the global game and in AAE40, if a power is knocked out of the game, is it possible that their allies can take over their remaining territories? Say for example France and the UK (Europe) are both taken out by Germany; can the American player take control of their African territories before the Italian player takes them? Also, can the UK Pacific player still take control of French Indo China before the Japanese like it could in AAP40? Or, must we wait for our opponents to take a territory before we can ‘liberate’ it and add it to our surviving powers income?

My second question… What is the purpose of the Canadian roundels on the map? The rule book doesn’t seem to say anything about them. I assume the Canadian territories contribute to the UK’s income, so why complicate things with the different symbols?

Thanks guys.

The roundels are for tracking India’s income on the Production chart in Global.

You may only Liberate (take back control from the other side) your allies territories and gain the production if their capital is in enemy hands. See page 20 AAEurope 1940 second paragraph “Liberating a Territory” first line: “If the original controller’s (country whose territory you just liberated) capital is in enemy hands at the end of the turn in which you would otherwise have liberated the territory, you capture the territory, you adjust your national production level, and you can use any antiaircraft gun, industiral complex, air base, and naval base there until the original controller’s capital is liberated.

You would not be able to just move into allied controlled territories and grab them. Your opponent has to have captured them first in order to gain control when you take them back.

Note:This is not an official answer, just trying to help out.

• @JamesAleman:

Here is the answer I gave you on the other forum:

Personal Message (Online)

Re: AAG40 FAQ
    « Reply #292 on: Today at 01:35:30 am »
    Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
    Quote from: Admiral T on Today at 01:25:12 am
    I’m not sure if these questions have been addressed already, and if they have, I’m sorry!

In the global game and in AAE40, if a power is knocked out of the game, is it possible that their allies can take over their remaining territories? Say for example France and the UK (Europe) are both taken out by Germany; can the American player take control of their African territories before the Italian player takes them? Also, can the UK Pacific player still take control of French Indo China before the Japanese like it could in AAP40? Or, must we wait for our opponents to take a territory before we can ‘liberate’ it and add it to our surviving powers income?

Thanks guys.

The roundels are for tracking India’s income on the Production chart in Global.

You may only Liberate (take back control from the other side) your allies territories and gain the production if their capital is in enemy hands. See page 20 AAEurope 1940 second paragraph “Liberating a Territory” first line: “If the original controller’s (country whose territory you just liberated) capital is in enemy hands at the end of the turn in which you would otherwise have liberated the territory, you capture the territory, you adjust your national production level, and you can use any antiaircraft gun, industiral complex, air base, and naval base there until the original controller’s capital is liberated.

You would not be able to just move into allied controlled territories and grab them. Your opponent has to have captured them first in order to gain control when you take them back.

Note:This is not an official answer, just trying to help out.

You actually use the union jack roundels for india’s income

• Why must an enemy take control of a defunct ally’s territory before you can assume control of it? Wouldn’t it make sense that if a functioning ally moves troops into such a territory, its population and resources could be reorganized and directed towards the occupying powers war effort?

• You are right, I misread Canadian and thought Union Jack, he was talking about the map, not the tokens.

…Its just to confuse you. That or maybe its a tip of the hat to the Canadian axis players that balk at being lumped in with the UK. You’ll have to wait for an official answer I guess.

• @Admiral:

Why must an enemy take control of a defunct ally’s territory before you can assume control of it? Wouldn’t it make sense that if a functioning ally moves troops into such a territory, its population and resources could be reorganized and directed towards the occupying powers war effort?

Sometimes A&A trades historic realism for better gameplay thsi si another example.

Yes that would happen but if that did happen the player whos capital was captured would have nothing to do

• @Admiral:

Why must an enemy take control of a defunct ally’s territory before you can assume control of it? Wouldn’t it make sense that if a functioning ally moves troops into such a territory, its population and resources could be reorganized and directed towards the occupying powers war effort?

Its a game mechanic, just the way the rules are written.

Personally, I think its a balance consideration.
    It punishes a player for not holding their capital.
    It gives the person who captures the capital a way to get an edge on the remaining opponents by not letting their production soar to unbelievable heights. The old territories are now “knocked” out of the war unless you want to use them by capturing them.
    It keeps the units separate, so as to not allow a “joint” attack, using the pieces of your former ally as when you defend “jointly”.
    Its bad “karma” to attack your former allies territories, can you Imagine if Britain attacked the Midwest just because Italy seized Washington to keep our corn from going to Italy.
    And as stated above, it lets the person playing the fallen capital still have a turn and move his remaining pieces if any.

• Official Q&A

James pretty well summed it up.  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m