• I played my first global game last night.  I was the axis against 2 newer players as the allies.  To my A&A veteran eyes it was over after r1, but they insisted on finishing the game.

Germany did what I think to be a typical start.  Sunk as much boats as possible, activated pro axis neutrals, took pro allied neutral, and attacked France.  Took Normandy, but had to retreat from France.  I thought this may be a blunder that would set me way back.  But, it turned out to work very well.

Japan declared war on the whole world, smashing Russia, China, Philippine navy, and Australia.

Italy then took France and fought a bit in Africa.  Italy getting the French IPC looks like it may be helpful, that big boost right away is interesting.

Start of Round 2:  ANZAC is nothing.  China is nothing.  France is nothing.  Russia is completely wide open in the east with a mass of Japanese racing to Moscow.  Germany is poised to hit Russia.  Italy has dollars coming out its ears.

USA got in the game early, but nothing could keep up with the demolition of Russia.

So, from what I saw in this first game:

1:  Japan attacking the world in round 1 is pretty devastating.  Taking ANZAC effectively out of the game.  Beating through China.  And smashing 18 infantry in Russia.  I paid no attention to the thought of India or the Looming USA.

2:  It might be a good idea to have Germans retreat from France leaving just a few there so Italy can take it.

Any thoughts?

• Did you play with the new set up from uncle Larry?

And did the Soviet player move all his 18 infantry to Amur? That is the worst move you can do with those inf.

The strategy of leaving France for Italy crossed my mind too. I am playing a game tommorrow and maybe I’ll try that.

• It sounds like they massed the 18 infantry as the Russians.  I also am curious where you hit the Chinese.  Yunnan?  Hunan?  That’s 4 infantry total to lose.  While that hurts it’s not a kill blow.  The Chinese are annoyingly resurgent.

In our games the Russians fall back from the border if attacked - and never mass.  The Chinese also fall back towards the Russian border.  Eventually The Japanese ground forces outrun their air support and that’s when you turn around and bite them in the a**.

Japan attacking on round 1 hurts Germany and Italy more then Japan.  KGF becomes a viable strategy in my eyes should that happen.  UK flies it’s airforce from India to Egypt and shuts down Italy.  Team America has a mean attack force going in a very short time.

• I’m wondering how Japan was able to get enough stuff to Australia to smash it on R1 as well as doing everything else you mentioned.

• @Bruda_Iz:

I’m wondering how Japan was able to get enough stuff to Australia to smash it on R1 as well as doing everything else you mentioned.

You will always encounter these type of guys on the Internet. They can do what no one else can, apparently, and whether or not its technically impossible doesn’t matter. When you ask them to back their claims they disappear.

• Customizer

@Raeder:

@Bruda_Iz:

I’m wondering how Japan was able to get enough stuff to Australia to smash it on R1 as well as doing everything else you mentioned.

You will always encounter these type of guys on the Internet. They can do what no one else can, apparently, and whether or not its technically impossible doesn’t matter. When you ask them to back their claims they disappear.

Yeah, I didn’t get that either.  Japan has a strong naval influence in the Caroline Islands but only 1 infantry unit.  Maybe on round 2 if they moved more land units down from Japan to the Carolines.  That is assuming that Australia doesn’t block their naval passage with it’s 1 destroyer.  That would cause a sea battle and push the invasion back to round 3.  By then Australia could have 6 more infantry to defend with.
    I’ve always found it hard for Japan to make a meaningful advance into Australia because they are so busy dealing with China and positioning themselves to take on the Brits and take the East Indies.  Usually by the time Japan gets enough to go after Australia, the US is in the war and Japan has to deal with them.

• Sounds like this guy has a hella-lot more land units with Japan than most people do. How can you knock out the 18 infantry AND surge into China at the same time, on the same turn?!?!

• HA! :-D

• I have not played a game of Global yet but just from looking at the logistics it seems rather impossible to crush China and Russia’s East armies in one turn with the little man power that Japan starts with. 18 infantry are no pushover, that is 4-8 kills every round of combat.

• Maybe that’s where all my dice rolls of 1 and 2 went.  I was rolling nothing by 5s and 6s as Japan yesterday.  Ugh.

• @Baron:

I was the axis against 2 newer players as the allies.

A surefire way to win any A&A game.  Play noobies.  :roll:

I can’t believe you guys even responded to this post.  It’s meaningless.

• '10

I’m like Maverick on this and haven’t played Global, but that sounds like a butt load of stuff for one round. And even if the guys are new did they not make one attack when it was their turn?

• @maverick_76:

Sounds like this guy has a hella-lot more land units with Japan than most people do. How can you knock out the 18 infantry AND surge into China at the same time, on the same turn?!?!

Maybe he inverted Larry Harris new setup? :-D

• @maverick_76:

I have not played a game of Global yet but just from looking at the logistics it seems rather impossible to crush China and Russia’s East armies in one turn with the little man power that Japan starts with. 18 infantry are no pushover, that is 4-8 kills every round of combat.

But sadly, those 18 infs are a real pushover against the masses that can send Japan

Just for the record, I did the count (with OOB setup). It’s totally crazy, because Japan can evaporate the full stack of 18 infs with a grand total of 7 inf, 1 mech, 2 art, 1 tank, 11 figs, 8 tacts and 3 strats (and some shore bombardment, but those are more valuable travelling to the south to setup a J3 or J4 attack on western allies). In fact it can be 4 strats, but the fourth is more needed against China. You can do this and still kill the 4 chinamen that usually will die

As average, Japan should kill 15 or 16 infs the first round, and utterly vaporize the puny survivors like 5 times each one the 2nd round. As reply, soviets will kill 6 inf first round and one more the second, so Japan will save the non-inf units and will start to do blitzs and stealing Siberia round 2. USSR could get lucky and make more hits, but is very improbable that will do real damage to Japan (I could kill even some fig if really needed to save the tank and the mech inf)

Even worst, if soviets get overconfident with their 18 infs and stack at Sakha, they’re doomed anyway round 2 because Japan can make a monster airstrike. The only valid place for that 18 inf stack USSR1 is Buryatia

Larry manages do almost perfect testing in Europe maps (as showed in AA50 and, I guess, in AAE40), but he fails usually in Pacific areas. AAP40 setup is plenty of failures … and the funny thing is that he cannot put a simple aa gun in China or Siberia against such nightmare of Japan’s airfleet

• But Func, the Russians can always keep the 18 infantry safe if they want to.  No decent player is going to put 18 infantry where Japan can hit it with all that.

• The initial post in this thread has to be bogus.  I play as Japan almost exclusively and what he’s saying he did - well - I’m extremely skeptical.  Perhaps the noobs he played against set up wrong, or the group misapplied certain rules, because looking at the initial Global setup, I just dont see how what he’s saying he did is actually possible.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m