Idea to keep the developers (and WotC) busy and paid.

• Rather than come out with a new game every year or every other year, keep the current game board and do some of the following:

1. Make new rules for technology, heavy weapons, diplomacy, N.O., N.A., or even how sue for peace; publish them online and charge $2.00 per download. (yes there will copy right infringement so you may have to order them online and have them shipped).

2. Make new units sculpts (should be easy look at A&A minis).  It seems alot of people love truely acurate moulds.

3. sell “additional unit” packs (in case your in a group that doesn’t like those grey chips), hell just sell ALL the components separately (Hell, I’ll buy more roundels).

I guess I would like to see a consistent growing of the game.  Buying a new edition where certain units’ rules have changed is fine, but have it in the context of “optional” or “experimental” would be good before it becomes a “final” rules change.

Also, I think that if you owned the “Master Game board” you could pick and choose which components that you want ed to use would be fun.  I don’t think that everyone would use every rule but most people would buy each expansion and add on for a sense of completeness.

Look at a game like Settlers of Catan.  You can buy the base game, but then add on when you want a better challenge.

• @Daedelus:

Look at a game like Settlers of Catan.  You can buy the base game, but then add on when you want a better challenge.

I like the ideas. Catan is more fun when playing with the expansion sets.

• I agree.  This is a great idea especially the part about being able to buy all units seperately.  That  way if you wanted plastic IC’s or AA guns you could have them.  If you wanted paper IPC’s you could have them too.

• Hear hear! I love the idea.

• I love te idea. I would buy a lot!

• My idea would be for them to stop churning out stuff that is so inconsistent!
    90% looks great, the last 10% is the cheapest, chinsiest crap they could find.
    Card board tokens?!?!?  Look at AA50 - great game, great pcs, well designed package and storage, all for an extra ten bucks! (assuming you paid retail of $100 for AA50 & $90.00 for AAE40/AAP40)

Not a great way to build a fan base.  I play AA because I have been doing so since the 80’s.  I would not buy another, new WOTC game, because I know it will be made from leftover chinese milk jugs and eggroll wrappers (probably be lucky to get the recycled eggroll wrappers - AAP40 tokens vs. AAE40 tokens…)  And, if they did not have Larry to develop this game it would probably be about as exciting as playing with tinker toys for ten hours! (Hell - the tinker toys are of better quality)

• Plastic,

Go back and look at your vaunted AA50 set. I own several copies, and the plastic is worse in the AA50 set, the maps, while having no creases, are microscopically thin, and the only real advantage is slightly better cardstock than the 1940 games (and with the new E1940, even that is a push). What are the advantages again?

The 1940 series has better pieces, more pieces, and more variety of pieces. A larger and thicker map, the same storage system, and a more useful box size.

There are only 2 minor problems with the 1940 series. No paper money, and no plastic factories.

Are you seriously not buying a game for those two problems?

And online prices for both at release where $60 and $80.

• @reloader-1:

Plastic,

Go back and look at your vaunted AA50 set. I own several copies, and the plastic is worse in the AA50 set, the maps, while having no creases, are microscopically thin, and the only real advantage is slightly better cardstock than the 1940 games (and with the new E1940, even that is a push). What are the advantages again?

The 1940 series has better pieces, more pieces, and more variety of pieces. A larger and thicker map, the same storage system, and a more useful box size.

There are only 2 minor problems with the 1940 series. No paper money, and no plastic factories.

You forgot that Italy uses German tanks instead of its AAAE tank

• My apologies - and I do like the Italian tank. It was the only properly molded piece in the sets of Italian pieces I have.

• Just remember……nothing is free in this world…get ready to pay.  But will everyone pay that or just you guys? My guess is someone did some business analysis and determined the profit margin increases when they did what they did.

• Certainly selling downloadable rules wouldn;t be free, but it could be cheap.

• @reloader-1:

Plastic,

I did say retail prices.  And at least it was all plastic - no tokens. And the boxes had dividers in them. And they tops looked cool.  And you got set-up cards with all the NO’s on them. And I did buy them. Both. I was stating that I would not by another new game from WOTC knowing how chincy they are…key word another NEW game - like not an Axis and Allies game…because I think it would be just as chincy…

• We used tipped over French infantry…at least they were good for something

• @Plasticdeathbydice:

@reloader-1:

Plastic,

I did say retail prices.  And at least it was all plastic - no tokens. And the boxes had dividers in them. And they tops looked cool.  And you got set-up cards with all the NO’s on them. And I did buy them. Both. I was stating that I would not by another new game from WOTC knowing how chincy they are…key word another NEW game - like not an Axis and Allies game…because I think it would be just as chincy…

“All Plastic”? I guess you don’t remember the damage markers. Listen, there are two extra plastic units in AA50, and both were badly molded (IC, and AA).

As for the better storage containers - greeaaaat. In a box the size of a friggin aircraft carrier that falls apart if you take it anywhere.

So much for better quality.

• Wow…sorry you don’t agree.  Lose one to many AA50 games?  You seem to have a grudge against it.  My grudge is just against WOTC…

and you are proving my point…no damage markers or tech tokens in AAE/P40…you got MORE in AA50…

• It was a super-duper “Anniversary Edition”. And even so, it wasn’t that hot.

I don’t get the whole grudge against WotC. They flucked up on Tac Bombers and apologized. So?

Is the A&A community that pinheaded?

• Customizer

A few points:

1. As a miniature painter, I can definitely appreciate and 100% verify that the quality of the miniatures is indeed improving by leaps and bounds. The amount and size of mold marks on the AA50 set is much more widespread than even the newer 1942 base sets. Also the density of the plastic seems to be better in newer minis. The figures hold up better and don’t needlessly bend or shift. Also you get sooo many more in the newer games.

2. I love the ideas of making more units and advanced molds and the like available, but I think the argument you’ll get from WOTC is that it will compete with their A&A Miniatures series. I don’t agree with this, but I can see how they could say it. Also, most of the people who would buy more pieces (like myself) have already/will buy extra sets just for the pieces. Most of the non-resolute players wouldn’t be so gung-ho about even more stuff to add to an already decently complicated game.

3. Game boards: Oddly enough, my favorite board is for the original Revised 1942. I like the simpler color-coded view of the board. Sure the new boards are prettier, but less functional. That being said, I think the 1940 board is of better quality materials than the AA50, however I do like the lack of folding seems in the AA50 board.

4. I agree that a big lacking factor in 1940 is the lack of plastic complexes and bases and the lack of physical currency.

5. I do think it’s weird that Italy didn’t get their AA50 tanks (or maybe even used the different cruiser/bomber a la AA50), but I can understand as they were saving money by just replicating the full German mold twice. Sucks for us players, but makes sense for company costs.

• I was thinking further on the subject of expansions. I used to play Star Fleet Battles and they had a module come out every year or so.

What if WotC published a small rule book with some cardboard chits called “Facilities and terrain.”  It would be say an expansion pack (to any A&A game) that could include the following: 1) research facilities; 2) Sub-Pens; 3) defensive zones (eg. Maginot line); 4) Rough terrain; 5) Seasons; 6) Characters.

Charge enough to break even + 10%.  Just an idea.

• @reloader-1:

the maps, while having no creases, are microscopically thin

When I opened my box for AA50 and saw the potential for warping I had to go out and spend another $20 for a piece of plexiglass to lay over the boards so that they wouldn’t warp. My $100 AA50 ended up costing $120 plus 7% sales tax in order to play it. I do think the folded, thicker maps in AAP40 are much better and like the idea that they used cardboard markers for ICs and AA Guns. I can use those when I play AA42 to save some space. I had to give up my game room for awhile so I am not able to play AAP40 and have not picked up AAE40 yet so right now AAP40 is sitting in the closet while I am using the the cardboard pieces from it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m