Two Larry made pacific setup-changes?

• '10

Two Larry made pacific setup-changes?
    **I want to explore the following changed game. I think you will quickly see a pattern of lots of aircraft removals. I think both the allies and the Japanese can have equal numbers of the same type of aircraft removed without taking something out of the game. If I’m wrong I want to hear the hows and whys. At the same time I think that this new setup will still be in balance/sink with the Global game.

I’ve removed 7 aircraft from both sides for a total of 14 aircraft. 8 Fighters, 4 Tactical bombers, and 2 Strategic bombers. The trick here is to determine the impact that some or all of these aircraft removals have on the game. For example, 1 fighter, 1 Tac bomber and 1 Strategic bomber have been removed from Manchuria. This is the loss of 8 defensive combat factor. I’m not interested in the offensive combat factor, if the Japanese want to get aggressive… let em bring in more units in that case. Same goes for the Russians too in Global.

To somewhat offset this loss of defensive combat factors I placed 3 new Japanese infantry in Manchuria. To offset this Japanese gain I positioned 3 new Chinese units. See below for details.

Adjust your normal setup by doing the following:

Remove the following air units:

Japan
    1 fighter, 1 tac bomber, 1 bomber from Manchuria
    3 fighters and 1tac bomber from Japan

Allies
    1 UK fighter from India
    2 ANZC fighters from New Zealand
    1 US bomber from the Philippines
    1 US fighter, and 1 US tac bomber from WUS
    1 US tac bomber from Hawaii

In addition the aircraft I have also moved some units around on the map:
    Move 1 US infantry from WUS to the Philippines
    Move 1 UK transport from sz39 to sz37
    Move 1 Japanese transport, and 1 battleship from sz33 to sz19

Add 3 Japanese infantry on Manchuria
    Add 4 Chinese infantry: 1 on Hunan, 1 on Szechwan, 1 on Shensi, and 1 on Yunnan

Add 1 naval base on New South Wales

Remove 1 UK infantry from Malaya

That’s it… nothing else should be changed from the established setup.

I’d be very happy if this new setup cannot be broken. Are there any volunteers willing to BREAK this game? If so, be my guest, by all means.

Think Global too…**

vs.

_**According to this:http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2386&p=27006#p27006

The setup changes are as follows:
    China
    Add 2 more infantry to Kweichow
    Add 1 infantry to Yunnan
    Add 2 infantry to Szechwan
    Japan:
    Remove 2 fighters (maybe just 1), 1 strategic bomber, 1 Tactical bomber from Japan
    Remove 1 fighter from Manchuria
    UK:
    Sea Zone 37 should have - 1 battleship, 1 transport
    Sea Zone 39 should have – 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer, 1 transport
    ANZAC
    Add one naval base to New South Wales.

Also, there is a new Japanese NO:  Japan receives 10 IPCs each turn that it is not at war.
    This includes the British, Dutch, the US, and the French, meaning walking into FIC will lose this NO**_

What’s correct, what’s the final setup?

• Initially, it was the 1st one, but he wanted to try the 2nd one out because people were complaining of the disparity with Europe

• Official Q&A

Please do not start another discussion of these changes here.  If you have comments or playtest results to report, please post them in the original thread on Larry’s site if you want them to be heard.

• Why not post them here for those who do not frequent his site.

I’d like to see them here, becz I ck in here every day.

I did not see theses changes until I saw them here, what’s the problem?

• '10

Which one ist better for Global, wich one better for stand alone pacific?

We want to play a AAP40 on tuesday and we want to playtets one version.

Wich one ist the earlier one?

Wich one is the better one?

• Official Q&A

@Shakespeare:

Why not post them here for those who do not frequent his site.

I’d like to see them here, becz I ck in here every day.

I did not see theses changes until I saw them here, what’s the problem?

We don’t want three different conversations going on about the same topic.  It’s too hard to follow, redundancies occur, and points get missed.  If people can read it here, they can just as easily follow my link to Larry’s site and read it there.

@marechallannes:

Which one ist better for Global, wich one better for stand alone pacific?

We want to play a AAP40 on tuesday and we want to playtets one version.

Wich one ist the earlier one?

Wich one is the better one?

The first one above is Larry’s most recent thinking, so it should be used.  Neither one is final at this point.

• '10

will the latest setup changes be on the FAQs

• @Battling:

will the latest setup changes be on the FAQs

As Krieghund stated, these are tentative at this point and it is incumbant on us to playtest them to verify whether they correct the broken nature of the J1 attack and J3IC.  As to your specific question, Larry has addressed this several times on that thread and I would advise you to read through some of the progress that is being made to correct the balance of the game.

But, to reiterate what my understanding is:  After a solution to the balance has been found and LH is satisfied, he will issue his corrections to the community, which we can choose to take as gospel.  These may or may not be Official Errata (that may require publisher endorsement), or a Larry Harris Endorsed Rule change (which isn’t as official, but is approved by LH and will probably be adopted for tournaments).  He will likely also send the setup corrections, etc, to the publisher to be included/corrected in a future release printing, should one occur, but it isn’t LH’s call that any of these revisions are actually adopted by the publisher.

• '10

Thanks

• That all seems so complicated:

I’ve got a much more simple answer:

Just put back the 18 Soviet infantry to the north and everything will be resolved.

Japan will not ignore that substantial force if she has to watch her back!

• @Shakespeare:

That all seems so complicated:

I like this guy!!!!!

• @Shakespeare:

Just put back the 18 Soviet infantry to the north and everything will be resolved.

Japan will not ignore that substantial force if she has to watch her back!

Larry already discarded that option and I have tried it. It completely changes the dynamic of the game. Russia moved into Korea on the first turn and Japan gets stuck having to deal with the 18 inf instead of striking south into the DEI.

• Thread should be here.  Much more traffic.  I go weeks without going to the Harris site.  I think the volume back me up here.

• '10

**Playtested this version last night.

More ballanced the the original setup.

China is very strong, but J2 attack blew the UK out of the south pacific.

Japan managed to capture the complete DEI.

But a worse attack on the hawaiian US-forces in J3 sealed their fate in the pacifc. No jap ships at the carolines means an australian spreadout over the south-west pacific islands.

Japan surrendered in game turn 10 by a half-economic/half-military defeat.

Next time I try to build a Japanese major complex at Kwangtung/Honkong to deal with the chinese forces.

The additional australian harbour in NSW makes the ANZAC more fun to play.

I like this setup.**

_Remove the following air units:

Japan
    1 fighter, 1 tac bomber, 1 bomber from Manchuria
    3 fighters and 1tac bomber from Japan

Allies
    1 UK fighter from India
    2 ANZC fighters from New Zealand
    1 US bomber from the Philippines
    1 US fighter, and 1 US tac bomber from WUS
    1 US tac bomber from Hawaii

In addition the aircraft I have also moved some units around on the map:
    Move 1 US infantry from WUS to the Philippines
    Move 1 UK transport from sz39 to sz37
    Move 1 Japanese transport, and 1 battleship from sz33 to sz19

Add 3 Japanese infantry on Manchuria
    Add 4 Chinese infantry: 1 on Hunan, 1 on Szechwan, 1 on Shensi, and 1 on Yunnan

Add 1 naval base on New South Wales

Remove 1 UK infantry from Malaya_

• Official Q&A

@jeffdestroyer:

Thread should be here.  Much more traffic.  I go weeks without going to the Harris site.  I think the volume back me up here.

There’s no arguing that this site gets far more traffic than Larry’s.  However, Larry and I can’t reasonably be expected to monitor this site plus 10 others that have also reposted this information while at the same time maintaining any sort of meaningful discussion.  Obviously, you can post anything you like here, but if you want your feedback to actually be heard, I suggest you post it at his site.  As to not visiting there frequently, if you care enough to participate in this process, you’ll go more often.

• @Krieghund:

@jeffdestroyer:

Thread should be here.  Much more traffic.  I go weeks without going to the Harris site.  I think the volume back me up here.

There’s no arguing that this site gets far more traffic than Larry’s.  However, Larry and I can’t reasonably be expected to monitor this site plus 10 others that have also reposted this information while at the same time maintaining any sort of meaningful discussion.  Obviously, you can post anything you like here, but if you want your feedback to actually be heard, I suggest you post it at his site.  As to not visiting there frequently, if you care enough to participate in this process, you’ll go more often.

No offence, but it seems to me we are being heard since you visit this site quite often.

• Official Q&A

While it’s true that you will occassionally be heard, it will certainly not be an interactive process.  Unless, of course, someone from here decides to take it upon themselves to transpose discussions back and forth between the two sites.  My point is that anything posted here may or may not actually make it back to Larry, whereas if it’s posted there he’ll definitely see it and comment on it.

I’m really not sure what all this resistance is about.  If anyone really wants to participate in this process (or even just watch), what’s the big deal about going over to Larry’s site and paying attention to one thread?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m