Taking over unfriendly neutrals on G1?

• This came up first thing. The Germans want to take over Yugoslavia on their first turn. I did not find anything to prevent this in the rule book.  :-) :-)

Was i correct in letting Germany take over Yugoslavia without starting war with russia and the USA on turn one?

• Right but now Germany is at war with all the other neutrals. They are like NATO. Attack one and they all turn against you.

Nice rules huh? :roll:

Friendly Neutrals
    These territories are listed as either Pro-Axis or Pro-Allies. A Pro-Axis neutral is friendly to Axis powers and a Pro-Allies neutral is friendly to Allied powers. You may not attack, move through, or fly over a friendly neutral. During the non-combat movement phase, a power may move into a friendly neutral. This action places control with the friendly power that moved in, production moves up the amount of the territory, and the army is activated by placing the number of units specified on the territory in the territory using the friendly powers pieces.

Unfriendly Neutrals
    A power may only move into an unfriendly neutral territory to attack it so it is considered a combat movement. By moving into the territory the army is activated and and a battle ensues. In order to capture the unfriendly neutral territory, the army must be defeated. If the invader wins, their gain control of the territory, and their production goes up by the amount on the territory. If the attack fails, the territory becomes allied with the side with which they are friendly. The territory must still be claimed by a friendly in the same manner as if it were a friendly neutral.

Strict Neutrals
    These territories can only be controlled by either the Axis or Allied powers attacking them. When attacked, the number of units defending the neutral is listed on the territory. This is important: initiating an attack on a strict neutral by any side will result in all other strict neutrals to become Pro-Axis (if attacked by an Allied power) or Pro-Allies (if attacked by an Axis power).

• I was under the impression that only attacking strict neutrals turned all other strict neutrals against you. Attacking unfriendly neutrals wouldn’t seem to have an effect on the strict neutrals I didn’t think.

• @MarkVIIIMarc:

This came up first thing. The Germans want to take over Yugoslavia on their first turn. I did not find anything to prevent this in the rule book.  :-) :-)

Was i correct in letting Germany take over Yugoslavia without starting war with russia and the USA on turn one?

You could, but because it is Pro-Allied, Strict Neutrals like Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Sweden, etc. will not become Pro-Allied.

• Rommel and UN Spacy are correct.

The cool thing about unfriendly neutrals is that even the Allies can attack unfriendly neutrals like Iraq which seems strange to me.  Should give someone something to do no matter what.

• I concur with preceding statements.  Attacking a pro-allies neutral as the axis (or vice versa) will not start a state of war with USA or Russia, and will not turn the strict neutrals to pro-allies.

It was a very interesting first game……lots to do

and by the way…if you are setting it up before your friends get there, plan on a good 30-45 minutes…

• Thanks guys.

There is tons going on in the game. If i recall in real life the Russians and Brits were tied up in the middle east. Cant remember Iraq or Iran though.

• '12

@MarkVIIIMarc:

Thanks guys.

There is tons going on in the game. If i recall in real life the Russians and Brits were tied up in the middle east. Cant remember Iraq or Iran though.

Both.  The luftwaffe and Italians actually flew air support for Iraq and ecvacuated their government to Germany. Not sure if they did the same for Persia (Iran), but I don’t think they were able to due to the distance.

• @moralecheck:

@MarkVIIIMarc:

Thanks guys.

Both.  The luftwaffe and Italians actually flew air support for Iraq and ecvacuated their government to Germany. Not sure if they did the same for Persia (Iran), but I don’t think they were able to due to the distance.

I’m probably wrong but I thought the Persian government was pro-axis while the general public was pro allies.  British (and maybe Russian) troops marched into Persia to nulify the pro-axis government.  Iraq was on the flip side I thought, their government was pro-British while the public was pro-axis and Germany/Italy tried to stage a coup.

• Customizer

@Seven_Patch:

@moralecheck:

@MarkVIIIMarc:

Thanks guys.

I’m probably wrong but I thought the Persian government was pro-axis while the general public was pro allies.  British (and maybe Russian) troops marched into Persia to nulify the pro-axis government.  Iraq was on the flip side I thought, their government was pro-British while the public was pro-axis and Germany/Italy tried to stage a coup.

You are correct.  Watch out for my file on neutral polarity coming up soon.  Lots of cases where the game disagrees with the history; for example Yugoslavia only became pro-Allied in 1941 after a military coup.  If you want accuracy you have to keep tabs on the changes in regime.  The designers probably though they’d “average out” the biases for game reasons, but some of us like to be accurate…

• Agreed. In some ways i am thrilled they just did not copy history. Its fun having a close game.

I am going to print up your files on neutrals for reading while we play.

At theest whoever gets stuck with china will end up being the smartest of us!

• You probably mean France right?  :mrgreen:

• Yeah, having France in this game is kind of weird cause it’s just cannon fodder.

• @Seven_Patch:

Yeah, having France in this game is kind of weird cause it’s just cannon fodder.

Not really. You can–-

OK you know what, I’ve repeated myself a bunch of times. Eventually, some weeks in, when everyone has the game, I’ll make a thread titled “why people underestimate France”.

• UN…

At least you are stubborn in your defense of France.

Highly entertaining, to say the least. Well, we must all be proud of our countries, I guess :-)

• @reloader-1:

UN…

At least you are stubborn in your defense of France.

Highly entertaining, to say the least. Well, we must all be proud of our countries, I guess :-)

I’m not really proud that India can fall on J3 in P40.

• Also, I’m not sure if the Chinese are proud of China in AA40 either.

Don’t even get me started on Canadians. They’re so mad, they want a house rule to include Canada as a separate player

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m