• who uses convoys because i dont? is it useless?

• Yesterday I played a Pacific '40 game. I was Japan, in order to balance the game we decided I wouldn’t attack on J1. So India crush wasn’t possible, because I declared war on J3. In that occasion, 2 subs in India were decent. :)

• Do you mean making your opponent lose IPCs because you have warships in a sea zone with a convoy box next to a land area/ island of theirs? If so, this is NOT an optional rule, so yes we use it (we do forget sometimes, but that’s a different matter…) 8-). I agree that subs could have done slightly more damage still than they actually do, but even if you just take 5 IPCs a turn for say 3 turns from your opponent this way, it’s certainly worthwhile!

• We use convoy rules. Seems to help keeping the navies moving. Sometimes we have a tendency to let a big group of boats sit and ‘project power’.

Having to send destroyers out with air support to kill blocading subs creates more battles.

• '10

@MarkVIIIMarc:

We use convoy rules. Seems to help keeping the navies moving. Sometimes we have a tendency to let a big group of boats sit and ‘project power’.

Having to send destroyers out with air support to kill blocading subs creates more battles.

Our small group have never had occasion to use convoy disruptions, kamikazies, or victory cities. Why would you want to trade a six IPC sub to take away two IPCs from the enemy? If one side has no destroyer or aircraft to take out a sub that is that close then the game is probably lost for that side anyway. Now I can imagine a situation where India has lost all their navy and are unable to kill an enemy sub in their convoy zone but I have not seen that yet. I have probably played about a dozen of these AAP1940 games and it becomes obvious when the game is lost for one side or the other without taking it to the bitter end. (Japan usually wins) These games are too long to continue when it is obvious that one side has lost. It is more fun to start a new game and try new ideas. So I have never seen kamikazies or VC wins. I am in a game of AAP1940 right now using Larrys balancing suggestions. It is the most even game that I have seen yet so maybe convoy disruptions or kamikazies will show up before it is over. Maybe these things will show up more in the Global game.

• @Fishmoto37:

@MarkVIIIMarc:

We use convoy rules. Seems to help keeping the navies moving. Sometimes we have a tendency to let a big group of boats sit and ‘project power’.

Our small group have never had occasion to use convoy disruptions, kamikazies, or victory cities. Why would you want to trade a six IPC sub to take away two IPCs from the enemy? If one side has no destroyer or aircraft to take out a sub that is that close then the game is probably lost for that side anyway. Now I can imagine a situation where India has lost all their navy and are unable to kill an enemy sub in their convoy zone but I have not seen that yet. I have probably played about a dozen of these games and it becomes obvious when the game is lost for one side or the other without taking it to the bitter end. (Japan usually wins) These games are too long to continue when it is obvious that one side has lost. It is more fun to start a new game and try new ideas. So I have never seen kamikazies or VC wins. I am in a game of AAP1940 right now using Larrys balancing suggestions. It is the most even game that I have seen yet so maybe convoy disruptions or kamikazies will show up before it is over.

Maybe the DD’s are not in range? Or even if they are, they can be killed in a counterattack? 6 for 8 ipcs?

• more of a factor in the europe theatre, both in the Med and Atlantic….

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m