Skirmishes and Maneuver on the German/Russian front.

• How did the Russians manage to pull a one-two punch on the Sealion fleet if they’re neutral to the Axis for the first 3 turns?  Round 4 for Sealion is probably too late for landing in Britain.  Did the Japs attack Siberia J1 or something?  I guess if they did that means the Russians are free to whomp up on Germany early.

• It wasn’t a sea lion fleet, it was a Karelia invasion fleet. But the UK player thought it was a Sea Lion fleet, so he just kept making stacks of infantry, which I had no complaint with haha. I had already declared war on Russia the previous turn by wiping out the fleet they had been building.

• @bennyboyg:

It wasn’t a sea lion fleet, it was a Karelia invasion fleet. But the UK player thought it was a Sea Lion fleet, so he just kept making stacks of infantry, which I had no complaint with haha. I had already declared war on Russia the previous turn by wiping out the fleet they had been building.

So Russia wasted money on a navy :D

UK wasted money on Infantry :D

:D :D :D :D

• It actually made sense for Russia to spend money on naval units, as they have a pretty big income for the first few turns and with the Royal Navy largely out of the picture, Germany’s free to keep landing guys in Leningrad if the Russians don’t draw them away somehow. Also, the Russian player had placed his fleet in such a way that it was blocking my sea route to Leningrad, so I had to kill it in order to continue my invasion, setting me back a turn.

• Hey bennyboyg, I can see how the Russian starting navy could hinder the German amphib on Leningrad.  I have three questions.

1. The Russians are neutral and Germany can move through the Russian navy if in sz 114 then declare war and amphib Leningrad the next turn right?

2. If the Russians keep their navy in sz 115 (or move it back to 115 because Germany moved through them at sz 114) the Germans can share that sz w/Russia (still neutral). Then on the next turn Germany declares war. If both navies are in the in the same sz (115) at the start of Germany’s turn can Germany amphib Leningrad w/o first attacking the Russia fleet or does it first have to clear the sz that they both share? (Sorry I think Krieghund may have answered this in a similar situation in Pac w/neutral powers).

3. While neutral can Russia pass through the Denmark straight? I reread the preview that dj posted, and I’m not sure. If they can you could run your Russian navy towards England. The Germans would most likely have to attack you (bring you into the war early) so you can’t back up the UK fleet w/BB. I would think this would be illegal, but I don’t see where it is spelled out regarding straight and neutrals.

• @WILD:

Hey bennyboyg, I can see how the Russian starting navy could hinder the German amphib on Leningrad.  I have three questions.

1. The Russians are neutral and Germany can move through the Russian navy if in sz 114 then declare war and amphib Leningrad the next turn right?

2. If the Russians keep their navy in sz 115 (or move it back to 115 because Germany moved through them at sz 114) the Germans can share that sz w/Russia (still neutral). Then on the next turn Germany declares war. If both navies are in the in the same sz (115) at the start of Germany’s turn can Germany amphib Leningrad w/o first attacking the Russia fleet or does it first have to clear the sz that they both share? (Sorry I think Krieghund may have answered this in a similar situation in Pac w/neutral powers).

3. While neutral can Russia pass through the Denmark straight? I reread the preview that dj posted, and I’m not sure. If they can you could run your Russian navy towards England. The Germans would most likely have to attack you (bring you into the war early) so you can’t back up the UK fleet w/BB. I would think this would be illegal, but I don’t see where it is spelled out regarding straight and neutrals.

If you declare war, you have to defeat the BB to invade Novograd

• @calvinhobbesliker:

That’s how I was leaning (if BB is on the coast) thanks.

Do you have any thoughts on if Russian navy can make a run for it through the straight (while neutral). My first instinct is neutrals can’t pass through a straight, but this would mean US couldn’t move ships to the Med if it wanted to. So now I’m not sure.

• @WILD:

@calvinhobbesliker:

That’s how I was leaning (if BB is on the coast) thanks.

Do you have any thoughts on if Russian navy can make a run for it through the straight (while neutral). My first instinct is neutrals can’t pass through a straight, but this would mean US couldn’t move ships to the Med if it wanted to. So now I’m not sure.

It could certainly try to, in order to bait Germany into attacking it.

As for the US, it doesn’t matter anyway. While neutral, it can’t go to a sea zone bordering Europe, the British Isles, or Africa

• Yea I just reread that bit about the US in djensens outline. You responded before I could get back.

• This move by the Russian BB also came up in our game this afternoon. We decided it was not allowed since the rules state that you have to control Denmark to pass.

However we have to wait what the rule book says and if the rule book doesn’t cover this what Krieghund clarifies.

• Well at least I’m not the only one to think that way.

• @WILD:

My first instinct is neutrals can’t pass through a straight

Thats what my thinking is as well - based entirely on the requirement that you (or an Ally) need to control the governing tt.

• I’m not 100% sure about these questions, it’s probably be better to ask Krieghund

• From another thread:

@WILD:

Thanks Krieghund, Russia being able to invade neutrals (and how to do it) before its at war w/Euro axis will be a great tool.

One other thing, is Russia (when not at war w/Euro axis) able to pass through Denmark straight?

@Krieghund:

Yes, if Germany gives its permission.

Interesting.  I wonder if the game comes with pre-printed permission slips.  :-D

See thread here: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19609.15

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m