• If Larry Harris designs a new A&A game for next year it will likely be a Big Battle game similiar to A&A D-Day, BOTB, and Gaudacanal.

I have but toghether a comprehensive list of WW2 battles suitable for becoming BigBattle A&A games.
    These are the major battles of the war on all the different fronts.

I did not include common suggestions for A&A variants like A&A Mediteranean, or A&A Ostfront, or A&A China-Burma-India, or A&A Battle of the Atlantic as the scope of these conflicts extend years and are too large for BigBattle games which are battle/campaign oriented. Those four suggestion I imagine are already covered quite well in regular A&A especailly in the newer editions. However i did include Barbarossa as a possiblity, however I imagine a game of this nature would only cover the eastern front in 1941 and victory would be determined by how much progress the Axis made.

I also only included battles from WW2, as WOTC is cheap and likely will only make two or three new molds per game.

So everyone gets three votes, pick which ones you would like to see the most and then post saying which you picked and why . Battles are listed in cronological order, European theater is on the top, Pacific theater is on the bottom.
    I listed these battles based on them being iconic and each side having a clear objective that could be illistrated in a board game.
    Personally I am also interested in a board game that simply covers the strategic bombing of either Germany or Japan however i dont think that idea is popular so i didnt list it( ill list it if people like that idea). If anyone else has any other suggestions( or thinks one of the choices should be renamed to better describe the battle or adjust its scope) say so and i’ll add/change it. I want this to be comprehensive so Mr. Harris or WOTC or FMG or World Forge can see what A&A players want.

7/22 UPDATE: Kasserine Pass 1943 added
    7/23 UPDATE: Tobruk 1941 added
    8/3 UPDATE: Burma 1944 added

• TripleA '12

I voted for:

'Battle for France’ - this was a campaign of many strategic possibilities and I sense there could be a lot of ‘cat & mouse’ battles between the armoured units. It would be nice to have a really detailed version of this front.

Stalingrad’ - it’s gotta be done! German and Russian reinforcements pouring from both sides of the Volga into the meat grinder. A real tactical level map with anti-tank guns, snipers, the lot.

Operation Market Garden’ - this would be a great campaign. US, UK and German forces, for starters. Three bridges to capture, enemies surrounding on all sides. It would be a very exciting game.

By the way, it lets you select more than three items. I don’t know if it will allow you to submit more than three though… I also note that so far we have 4 voters but only 10 votes. So, I guess people can choose less than three scenarios each, right?

• I would like Okinawa, such a big battle in limited space.

• Stalingrad. Kursk. Market Garden.

But  :| Not sure if the absence of the “home team” will be a deciding factor in the first two.

• Customizer

I want to vote Operation Torch (Invasion of North Africa). Hopefully the game would include the possibility of Rommel’s advance to Cairo and potentially the fall of Rome.

This game may fall outside the scope of a A&A “battle game” it would likely be a theater based game with four players Italy, Germany, USA, and Britain.

Am I alone with this one?

• Am I alone with this one?

No, it’s a good idea.
    I would like to see Rommel driving to Cairo!

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

I want to vote Operation Torch (Invasion of North Africa). Hopefully the game would include the possibility of Rommel’s advance to Cairo and potentially the fall of Rome.

This game may fall outside the scope of a A&A “battle game” it would likely be a theater based game with four players Italy, Germany, USA, and Britain.

Am I alone with this one?

Well, it seems like your asking for A&A Mediteranian. Perhaps it is a good idea, but its just not what I am talking about and Mr. Harris has already said he will not make A&A Africa, cause thats what AAE40 is for.

Operation Torch would be interesting, but the axis it this operation( the vichy french) had very unclear and contradicting goals and most of them just surrendered. It would be hard to turn into a two sided A&A battle game. I think a requirement for the A&A Big battle games is that both sides had to have clear goals, like hold this location for so long or capture these three cities or destory these carriers.

However the followup to operation torch, the campaign into tunisia including the kasserine pass does fit the bill and i should have had it to begin with.

• @allboxcars:

Stalingrad. Kursk. Market Garden.

But  :| Not sure if the absence of the “home team” will be a deciding factor in the first two.

Yah it looks like WOTC only thinks that A&A games with US force in them will sell, but as anyone can see from this poll the Ostfront battles are very popular. IDK if Glenn Beck is right and everyone is a communist, but people like fighting as the Soviets.

I picked
    El Alamein: cause it was the deciding battle in the desert and some new Italian units might come along with it.

Invasion of Mayala: Because World Forge messed up with just doing Singapore and I would like some neat swordfish bombers and jap bicycle inf.

Midway: I would like to sea Mr. Harris’s take on carrier combat and I just saw the movie a few days ago.

@Lozmoid:

By the way, it lets you select more than three items. I don’t know if it will allow you to submit more than three though… I also note that so far we have 4 voters but only 10 votes. So, I guess people can choose less than three scenarios each, right?

I am pretty sure I capped it at three, oh well if you want to vote for all of them do that to I guess.

• I picked Midway since I love naval warfare, battle of Britain, unique for being only air, and battle of France, where both sides were equal

• Midway would be awesome to see how they incorporate the Fog of War and other factors that came into play historically.

If it’s just a flat out CAG slug fest it would be disappointing, IMTO.

And Battle of Britain… I’d get behind that only if you can carry on to a full Sea Lion.
    But that’s just me.

• @allboxcars:

Midway would be awesome to see how they incorporate the Fog of War and other factors that came into play historically.

If it’s just a flat out CAG slug fest it would be disappointing, IMTO.

And Battle of Britain… I’d get behind that only if you can carry on to a full Sea Lion.
    But that’s just me.

For Britain would you put in new air unit? The battle was fought in the air, and I think 3 (maybe 2) types of planes won’t cut it.

• There would also be dive bombers, air bases, different types of industrial centers, ports, and aa guns.

We could finally get a Hawker Hurricane mold for the british fighter.

@allboxcars:

Midway would be awesome to see how they incorporate the Fog of War and other factors that came into play historically.

Yes, that would be sweet.

And I suppose the Battle of Britian could include operation Sea Lion, but if its to be historical some games will be alot shorter as the land invasion may never happen.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

And I suppose the Battle of Britian could include operation Sea Lion, but if its to be historical some games will be alot shorter as the land invasion may never happen.

yes definitely it would have to be a three-phase deal: skies, channel, boots on the ground.
    You only get to proceed to the next phase by successfully completing previous phases.

• '10

I voted for Operation Barbarossa 1941, Gazela 1942, and Kursk 1943. Stalingrad 1942 might be good also. But I do not look for any of these to happen because of no U.S. involved on the eastern front. And it appears that Larry does not want North Africa. That is why I am moving along with creating my own Mediterranean game. It is possible that if German intel had been what it should have been at Kursk, they might have waited in a strong defensive posture for the Soviets to attack first and wear out their armor and then counter-attack.

• With the right amout of interests and funds I think Larry would make an A&A Gazala, he just said he wont do A&A africa.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

With the right amout of interests and funds I think Larry would make an A&A Gazala, he just said he wont do A&A africa.

You’ve made this claim a lot. Could you post a link to where he said it?

• El Alamein: cause it was the deciding battle in the desert and some new Italian units might come along with it.
    Invasion of Mayala: Because World Forge messed up with just doing Singapore and I would like some neat swordfish bombers and jap bicycle inf.
    Midway: I would like to sea Mr. Harris’s take on carrier combat and I just saw the movie a few days ago.

Well Midway is my second choice. I like Carrier battle but El Alamein still my first choice.

Midway movie is a must.
    I presume you saw Tobrouk…not a bad movie

• @crusaderiv:

I presume you saw Tobrouk…not a bad movie

Not a good movie either but i get what you mean.

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Emperor_Taiki:

With the right amout of interests and funds I think Larry would make an A&A Gazala, he just said he wont do A&A africa.

You’ve made this claim a lot. Could you post a link to where he said it?

I remember him saying it in his forum a while ago, I forgot where it was. I guess you’ll just have to take it on faith :lol:.

• i posted this somewhere else, but instead of battle of berlin, how about RACE TO BERLIN. the object of the game is for RUSSIAN, BRITISH, and US forces to be the first to take BERLIN. this could be cool becouse of the great rivailry between PATTON and MONTGOMERY. the allies would be forced to drive hard and fast before crucial bridges were blown up by GERMANY. at the same time the    allies would have to keep ever growing supply lines open. GERMANY tries to slow them all down thru defence fortifications, sabotage, as i said, bridge demolition, and maybe even a one time “battle of the buldge” type of event done at GERMANYS choosing.
    what does anyone think?

• Well, it dosnt seem very historical. Churchill and Roosevelt had already argeed to let the Soviets have berlin, Ike didnt see any sence wasting allied resources taking something that they would have to give right back to the russians. Let the soviets bleed fighting the suprsingly tough hitler youth and whatever was left of the german forces, was the thinking. Maybe it could be a five player game Germans/Soviets/Monty/Patton/Ike. The Ike player would spend his time trying to make sure Monty and Patton didnt take berlin.

I am not putting it on the list cause its so multi-sided and the players goals arn’t that clear, but it sounds like it could be a good game.
    It kinda sounds like a 1944 setup for AAE40.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m