USA spreading out in both pacific AND Atlantic.

• Sounds like the allies won some key battles to really help them:

• German ftrs lost to UK fleet

• Egypt was held

• an audacious UK air raid sunk the Italian navy

Good for you!
    The allies need some breaks to win in 1941.

Sometime, you just have to manufacture them (like your battle in the Med)

• In my most recent tournament game against Zhukov I employed a Pacific/Atlantic spread with the Allies that was going pretty well in my estimation until I overlooked a couple Italian tanks that broke a hole through my Russian defenses for the German tanks to get to Moscow.  Had I not made that mistake I think I would have prevailed as the Allies as I never lost the economic advantage and was making headway on most fronts.

I had a bid of 9 and placed 2 infantry in Egypt and 1 in Belorussia.  The extra infantry in Egypt were certainly advantageous for me as it held off the Axis long enough for me to destroy the Italian navy and completely push the Axis out of Africa.  A couple things I did that I’m going to explore more were:
    1. Built a South Africa IC - This might not be the best/most essential part, but I thought it was necessary with the US going mostly into the Pacific, so there would be no reinforcements to Africa
    2. Built 2 bombers for the UK for use against the Italian fleet - Having the 3rd that most people going for the bomber heavy UK1 turn would have been helpful as the Axis took Gibraltar to keep me from using my fighters for support in taking out the Italian navy, but I got a little lucky and was able to take it out anyway with the 3 UK bombers alone
    3. Built 1 American carrier for defensive support of the UK in the Atlantic and sent the US transport toward Norway - my thoughts were that I could get 5 extra IPCs for the US to help them there and have the opportunity to build an IC for the US to place some land units in Europe while their navy was in the Pacific

It may have been a fluke as it may have gone much differently if I hadn’t gotten relatively lucky in destroying the Italian navy with the UK bombers, but I was happy with the progression as I was able to complete Operation Torch to drive out the Germans and Italians in Africa, and began to weaken the Japanese and boost the UK in the Pacific with the US taking strategic islands.  If I had been able to hold on as Russia for another turn or two perhaps (as I thought I would be able to do), I think I could’ve begun to reinforce Russia and start whittling down Europe.  After all of the negative talk about KGF being the only viable strategy with AAAE being broken and needing a large bid for a Global/Pacific campaign to work, I was quite encouraged by this game (even if it looks like I’ll probably lose now in the end with my Russian catastrophe).  Considering it was a tournament game I probably “shoul’ve” :wink: gone with a more “efficient” KGF strategy, but I enjoyed it as it went even if it may not have been the most reliable strategy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m