• '12

I absolutely agree 100%, he had a little influence on the initial basic research.  He had zero influence on the actual militarisation of the science and had zero participation with the group that actually made the bomb.  Otto was good with chemistry more than nuclear physics.  It is more accurate to say he proved fission of heavy elements via his chemistry abilities.  It was long understood that decay occurs with the emition of alpha particles but that only causes a minor loss of mass and small change in atomic number.  Yes, he was a gear in a vast machine.  Yes, he had influence like about 1000 other people.  If this is your premise I agree 100%.  If your premise is that Otto was one of the top 100 people involved with the US nuclear program during WW II then I would have to disagree with you.  Exactly, what is your premise?  The first nuclear chain reaction occured in chicago in 1942.  I would say there are about 20 people involved with that project alone who had a larger role in the US nuclear weapons program than any German living in Germany during the war years.  Otto lived in Germany during the war, again, I doubt he had much of a direct role in the US nuclear weapons program.

• Exactly, what is your premise?

This:

here:

No German scientists were involved in the development of the A-Bomb.

hardly truth:

Otto Hahn
    Albert Einstein
    Fritz Strassmann

All born in Germany and were German and latter came to US to develop among other things Atomic research leading to our first bomb. The other group of scientists still lived in Germany and deliberately stalled this research because they didn’t want to give Hitler the bomb first. So you might say most of the people working on this research were MOSTLY German.

IN fact most the the brain-work was from Germans in the field on Atomic research, as well as Rocketry, Jet Power,Heavy tanks,Surface to Air Missiles, Guided Missiles, Air to Air Missiles, Super heavy Artillery, etc…

In 1942 the Manhattan Engineer Project was set up in the United States under the command of Brigadier General Leslie Groves. Scientists recruited to produce an atom bomb included Robert Oppenheimer (USA, but Parents were from Germany), David Bohm (USA), Leo Szilard (Hungary), Eugene Wigner  (Hungary), Rudolf Peierls (Germany), Otto Frisch  (Germany), Felix Bloch (Switzerland), Niels Bohr (Denmark), James Franck (Germany), James Chadwick (Britain), Emilio Segre  (Italy), Enrico Fermi (Italy), Klaus Fuchs  (Germany) and Edward Teller  (Hungary).

• '12

You might as well claim socrates and plato as members of the atom bomb team because everyone built on their ideas.  There were 1000 people as important as them, but sure, they singlehandly built the bomb themselves while in Germany and secretly shipped it to the US.  Without those 3 nothing ever would have occured……

• Good. I am glad you finally agree then.

It is not a fact that “no Germans were involved in developing the atomic bomb”

excellent.

• @Imperious:

Good. I am glad you finally agree then.

excellent.

Now that’s done with can you change the name to

Da Bomb!

• :-D  give that man another star!… :-D

• @Imperious:

Good. I am glad you finally agree then.

excellent.

I see what you mean, but I think that is more influenced than involvement.

• '12

Well that was my point.  Influence yes, involvement no.  Precursor works yes, having direct contact, discussions and influence with the design team no.  Those german scientists might as well have been dead by 1938 because nothing they did subsequent to that date was used by the ‘bomb’ project.  Dead people’s works have influence as Newtons ideas influenced things no doubt.  But to suggest Newton was involved with the bomb project is a bit of a stretch.

I guess it depends what you mean by ‘involvement’ versus ‘influence’.

• Germans were involved in both. Germans means they had German heritage, They could have been born in Germany and raised in America, but they are German no matter what.

here is the list again. Most of them were German.

In 1942 the Manhattan Engineer Project was set up in the United States under the command of Brigadier General Leslie Groves. Scientists recruited to produce an atom bomb included Robert Oppenheimer (USA, but Parents were from Germany), David Bohm (USA), Leo Szilard (Hungary), Eugene Wigner  (Hungary), Rudolf Peierls (Germany), Otto Frisch  (Germany), Felix Bloch (Switzerland), Niels Bohr (Denmark), James Franck (Germany), James Chadwick (Britain), Emilio Segre  (Italy), Enrico Fermi (Italy), Klaus Fuchs  (Germany) and Edward Teller  (Hungary).

and at a minimum at least was German, which the original poster was not correct when he said none were German.

• '10

Lets not forget that both Germany and Japan had an Atomic weapons program…  although far behind the Western Allies in funding and priority.

• Lets not forget that both Germany and Japan had an Atomic weapons program…  although far behind the Western Allies in funding and priority.
    Yes but their budget and their technology was far behind the US project.
    Japan bacterologic weapon program was more elaborated.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m