• What’s your thoughts?

• They started in 39 and finished in 45, six years. Since it would’ve taken 6 years, it would develop in the early '50’s

• @calvinhobbesliker:

They started in 39 and finished in 45, six years. Since it would’ve taken 6 years, it would develop in the early '50’s

But German scientists made it. You need to take Germany to do that, or I am on crack

• No German scientists were involved in the development of the A-Bomb.

hardly truth:

Otto Hahn
    Albert Einstein
    Fritz Strassmann

All born in Germany and were German and latter came to US to develop among other things Atomic research leading to our first bomb. The other group of scientists still lived in Germany and deliberately stalled this research because they didn’t want to give Hitler the bomb first. So you might say most of the people working on this research were MOSTLY German.

IN fact most the the brain-work was from Germans in the field on Atomic research, as well as Rocketry, Jet Power,Heavy tanks,Surface to Air Missiles, Guided Missiles, Air to Air Missiles, Super heavy Artillery, etc…

In 1942 the Manhattan Engineer Project was set up in the United States under the command of Brigadier General Leslie Groves. Scientists recruited to produce an atom bomb included Robert Oppenheimer (USA, but Parents were from Germany), David Bohm (USA), Leo Szilard (Hungary), Eugene Wigner  (Hungary), Rudolf Peierls (Germany), Otto Frisch  (Germany), Felix Bloch (Switzerland), Niels Bohr (Denmark), James Franck (Germany), James Chadwick (Britain), Emilio Segre  (Italy), Enrico Fermi (Italy), Klaus Fuchs  (Germany) and Edward Teller  (Hungary).

• How would the U.S.S.R have behaved after 1945 had the Bomb created?

• '12

Einstein wrote a letter to roosevelt explaining that the concept of a nuclear bomb was possible and that the US should start to develop their own bomb.  That was about the extent of his direct involvment.  Yes, some of his theories and works formed part of the foundation along with other 1000s including some really old arabs who gave us our number system, without that no way would the nuclear bomb have been developed.  Ever try divinding one roman numeral by another?  So maybe those 8th century arabs should be lumped in with the development team?  Yeah silly but unless you worked in new mexico and got paid by the manhatten project, you probably were not involved in the development in a major way.

Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann lived in Germany during the period the bomb was developed so probably had little to do wtih the actual bomb design.  Yes, some of their work was used along with 1000s of others whos shoulders we stand on.  But to claim two Germans living in Germany during the war were involved in the development of the bomb is a bit of a stretch.

• Hahn and Strassmann pioneered the discovery of nuclear fission

How do you make Atomic Bombs without that?

They placed the groundwork for development of the bomb.

• '12

Those two were not the only ones on the planet who understood fission.  Had they never been born do you honestly think it would have set back the bomb project that much?  Moreover, those two built on what others discovered, radioactive decay papers were published long before they got in the act.  Yes, they merit mention in the long long chain of discoveries and people involved, but really, to claim they were giants compared to Rutherford, Bohr or Marie Curie……Giants compared to them?  Really?  really?  The following from wiki…

The discovery of nuclear fission occurred in 1938, following nearly five decades of work on the science of radioactivity and the elaboration of new nuclear physics that described the components of atoms. In 1911, Ernest Rutherford proposed a model of the atom in which a very small, dense and positively-charged nucleus of protons was surrounded by orbiting, negatively-charged electrons (the Rutherford model). Niels Bohr improved upon this in 1913 by reconciling the quantum behavior of electrons (the Bohr model). Work by Henri Becquerel, Marie Curie, Pierre Curie, and Rutherford further elaborated that the nucleus, though tightly bound, could undergo different forms of radioactive decay, and thereby transmute into other elements (for example, by losing an alpha particle). All known radioactive processes before fission changed mass of the atomic nucleus by no more than two protons. Albert Einstein’s principle of mass–energy equivalence described the amount of energy released in such processes, but this could not be harnessed on a large scale. The possibility of combining two light nuclei in nuclear fusion had been studied in connection with the processes which power stars.

After English physicist James Chadwick discovered the neutron in 1932,[3] Enrico Fermi and his colleagues in Rome studied the results of bombarding uranium with neutrons in 1934.[4] Fermi concluded that his experiments had created a new element with 94 protons, which he dubbed Hesperium. However, not all were convinced with Fermi’s analysis of his results. The German chemist Ida Noddack notably suggested in 1934 that instead of creating a new, heavier element, that “it is conceivable that the nucleus breaks up into several large fragments.”[5][6] However, Noddack’s conclusion was not pursued

After the Fermi publication, Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, and Fritz Strassmann began performing similar experiments in Berlin……    After…

• Those two were not the only ones on the planet who understood fission.

I didn’t say this, what i said was that mostly Germans were developing this technology… whether they were working in America or not.

“Otto Hahn (8 March 1879 – 28 July 1968) was a German chemist  and Nobel laureate who pioneered the fields of radioactivity and radiochemistry. He is regarded as “the father of nuclear chemistry” and the “founder of the atomic age”.”

"In February 1921, Otto Hahn published the first report on his discovery of uranium Z (later known as 234Pa), the first example of nuclear isomerism. "

"On 15 November 1945 the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences announced that Hahn had been awarded the 1944 Nobel Prize in Chemistry “for his discovery of the fission of heavy atomic nuclei.”

So i guess he had little influence on development on Atomic Energy?

• '12

I absolutely agree 100%, he had a little influence on the initial basic research.  He had zero influence on the actual militarisation of the science and had zero participation with the group that actually made the bomb.  Otto was good with chemistry more than nuclear physics.  It is more accurate to say he proved fission of heavy elements via his chemistry abilities.  It was long understood that decay occurs with the emition of alpha particles but that only causes a minor loss of mass and small change in atomic number.  Yes, he was a gear in a vast machine.  Yes, he had influence like about 1000 other people.  If this is your premise I agree 100%.  If your premise is that Otto was one of the top 100 people involved with the US nuclear program during WW II then I would have to disagree with you.  Exactly, what is your premise?  The first nuclear chain reaction occured in chicago in 1942.  I would say there are about 20 people involved with that project alone who had a larger role in the US nuclear weapons program than any German living in Germany during the war years.  Otto lived in Germany during the war, again, I doubt he had much of a direct role in the US nuclear weapons program.

• Exactly, what is your premise?

This:

here:

No German scientists were involved in the development of the A-Bomb.

hardly truth:

Otto Hahn
    Albert Einstein
    Fritz Strassmann

All born in Germany and were German and latter came to US to develop among other things Atomic research leading to our first bomb. The other group of scientists still lived in Germany and deliberately stalled this research because they didn’t want to give Hitler the bomb first. So you might say most of the people working on this research were MOSTLY German.

IN fact most the the brain-work was from Germans in the field on Atomic research, as well as Rocketry, Jet Power,Heavy tanks,Surface to Air Missiles, Guided Missiles, Air to Air Missiles, Super heavy Artillery, etc…

In 1942 the Manhattan Engineer Project was set up in the United States under the command of Brigadier General Leslie Groves. Scientists recruited to produce an atom bomb included Robert Oppenheimer (USA, but Parents were from Germany), David Bohm (USA), Leo Szilard (Hungary), Eugene Wigner  (Hungary), Rudolf Peierls (Germany), Otto Frisch  (Germany), Felix Bloch (Switzerland), Niels Bohr (Denmark), James Franck (Germany), James Chadwick (Britain), Emilio Segre  (Italy), Enrico Fermi (Italy), Klaus Fuchs  (Germany) and Edward Teller  (Hungary).

• '12

You might as well claim socrates and plato as members of the atom bomb team because everyone built on their ideas.  There were 1000 people as important as them, but sure, they singlehandly built the bomb themselves while in Germany and secretly shipped it to the US.  Without those 3 nothing ever would have occured……

• Good. I am glad you finally agree then.

It is not a fact that “no Germans were involved in developing the atomic bomb”

excellent.

• @Imperious:

Good. I am glad you finally agree then.

excellent.

Now that’s done with can you change the name to

Da Bomb!

• :-D  give that man another star!… :-D

• @Imperious:

Good. I am glad you finally agree then.

excellent.

I see what you mean, but I think that is more influenced than involvement.

• '12

Well that was my point.  Influence yes, involvement no.  Precursor works yes, having direct contact, discussions and influence with the design team no.  Those german scientists might as well have been dead by 1938 because nothing they did subsequent to that date was used by the ‘bomb’ project.  Dead people’s works have influence as Newtons ideas influenced things no doubt.  But to suggest Newton was involved with the bomb project is a bit of a stretch.

I guess it depends what you mean by ‘involvement’ versus ‘influence’.

• Germans were involved in both. Germans means they had German heritage, They could have been born in Germany and raised in America, but they are German no matter what.

here is the list again. Most of them were German.

In 1942 the Manhattan Engineer Project was set up in the United States under the command of Brigadier General Leslie Groves. Scientists recruited to produce an atom bomb included Robert Oppenheimer (USA, but Parents were from Germany), David Bohm (USA), Leo Szilard (Hungary), Eugene Wigner  (Hungary), Rudolf Peierls (Germany), Otto Frisch  (Germany), Felix Bloch (Switzerland), Niels Bohr (Denmark), James Franck (Germany), James Chadwick (Britain), Emilio Segre  (Italy), Enrico Fermi (Italy), Klaus Fuchs  (Germany) and Edward Teller  (Hungary).

and at a minimum at least was German, which the original poster was not correct when he said none were German.

• '10

Lets not forget that both Germany and Japan had an Atomic weapons program…  although far behind the Western Allies in funding and priority.

• Lets not forget that both Germany and Japan had an Atomic weapons program…  although far behind the Western Allies in funding and priority.
    Yes but their budget and their technology was far behind the US project.
    Japan bacterologic weapon program was more elaborated.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m