Which nations will be separate and dedicated Axis & Allies Global 1940 nations?

• Customizer

I’m also a fan of the seven player split. Personally I enjoy the occasional game where I play a minor nation. Having three minor nations (2 of which will fall) would be interesting to play, especially since these three powers are spread all over the world. Its also good for a newbie cuz these nations will likely not be involved in BIG battles or BIG strategic decisions. Plus the player would have turns more often, which helps on down time.

• If France, Italy, and ANZAC are seperate powers in the two individual games played by seperate players, then why can’t they also be independant powers in the global scenario, making AAG1940 an 8 player game?

• This is what I say

US and Australia New Zealand Army Corps
    UK, China, and France
    USSR
    Germany and Italy
    Japan

There you go a 5 player game.

• @i:

didn’t larry say its 2-6 players in the global game so it would be

us
    china

uk
    france
    anzac

ussr

japan

germany

italy

I know, but for game efforts I would want to do that.

US and ANZAC the Pacific fighters of the allies
    UK and France Western Europe Allies, along with India and China, Asian fighters for Allies
    USSR the ally of East Europe
    Germany and Italy the Axis of Europe board.
    Japan the Axis of Pacific board

• @Rommel:

If France, Italy, and ANZAC are seperate powers in the two individual games played by seperate players, then why can’t they also be independant powers in the global scenario, making AAG1940 an 8 player game?

France is not going to be an independent power in the Europe game.  The OOB rules dictate that it be controlled by one of the players with another Allied power, kinda like China is dictated to be controlled by another Allied player in Pacific.

• @SAS:

@Rommel:

If France, Italy, and ANZAC are seperate powers in the two individual games played by seperate players, then why can’t they also be independant powers in the global scenario, making AAG1940 an 8 player game?

France is not going to be an independent power in the Europe game.  The OOB rules dictate that it be controlled by one of the players with another Allied power, kinda like China is dictated to be controlled by another Allied player in Pacific.

Then who are the 6 players/nations in AAE1940 if France is to be controlled by another one of the Allies?

I assumed it would be Germany, Italy, US, UK, USSR, and France.

Also, here is a quote from the AAE1940 page of the Wizards website:
    “France appears for the first time in Axis & Allies and will represent a new playable ally!”

• Turn order (from Larry) is:

1. Germany
    2. USSR
    3. Japan
    4. UK
    5. ANZAC
    6. Italy
    7. USA
    8. China
    9. France

So in a 6 player game the breakdown would be:

3 Axis players- Germany, Japan, Italy
    3 Allied players- USSR, UK/ANZAC and USA/China/France

Of course, I guess you could have it any way you want really?  But this is how it will be proposed in the Manual.

• @questioneer:

Turn order (from Larry) is:

1. Germany
    2. USSR
    3. Japan
    4. UK
    5. ANZAC
    6. Italy
    7. USA
    8. China
    9. France

So in a 6 player game the breakdown would be:

3 Axis players- Germany, Japan, Italy
    3 Allied players- USSR, UK/ANZAC and USA/China/France

Of course, I guess you could have it any way you want really?  But this is how it will be proposed in the Manual.

Screw the manual use mine it helps game play, better.

Also does anyone know the turn order for Europe 40 alone
    :? :?
    1. Germany
    2. USSR
    3. UK
    4. Italy
    5. USA
    6. LOL Power.

• @Rommel:

@SAS:

@Rommel:

France is not going to be an independent power in the Europe game.  The OOB rules dictate that it be controlled by one of the players with another Allied power, kinda like China is dictated to be controlled by another Allied player in Pacific.

Then who are the 6 players/nations in AAE1940 if France is to be controlled by another one of the Allies?

“France appears for the first time in Axis & Allies and will represent a new playable ally!”

I think your confusion is between the individual Europe 1940 game and the full combined 1940 game.  The individual Europe 1940 game will be 2-5 players (Germany, Italy, US, UK, USSR, + France to one of the other Allied players), the full combined 1940 game will be 2-6 players.  Pacific 1940 is only 2-4 players (Japan, US, UK, ANZAC, + China to one of the other Allied players).

Edit:  I looked on the website and I see exactly what you’re talking about.  Perhaps they will allow France to be played by a separate player in the single Europe 1940, but I think it’s far more likely that the website tech typoed the description based off of the full Global game (this kind of thing happens all the time).  It would be pointless (even in the Europe “half-game”) for someone to play just France, as they will have no building capacity once Paris falls after the first or second turn, so the developers of the game (Larry and Krieg) have said that in the OOB rules France should be controlled by another of the Allied players because of this.

But yes, France will be a playable ally, but that simply means you will have control of the army pieces for France (unlike the neutral countries or the Dutch), NOT necessarily that it will be played by a separate person.  France will fall either turn 1 or turn 2, unless the Axis player is stupid and just ignores them and lets them keep on earning IPCs and building more units.  But once Paris falls France will no longer collect IPCs and will not be able to build any more units, so “playing” them will simply involve moving the existing pieces around the board and hoping the UK and US will liberate Paris.  This is why in the OOB rules France will be controlled by a player already with another power.

• When they state the number of players, it is just a recomendation.  You could very well play with nine players except; France, China, & ANZAC would be quite boring, unless a newbe or child was playing with you, it would be good for them to play a minor country.  If you are playing with six then some player would play two counties, however, they are still considerd nine different armies; if you play two they don’t mix there income.  So it always be nine indiviual counties weither you play with nine people or two.  Or if your really bad off like me, one.  The good news is I win every game.  :-) The bad news is I lose every game  :-(

• @GrayBlaZe:

The good news is I win every game.   :-) The bad news is I lose every game  :-(

:-D And what’s worse is when you catch yourself cheating….

So it’s similar to the Canadian thing. If you want to make France a separate player power, go nuts, it won’t take much tinkering…

…but who would want to play that small of a role?  And a role that small, yes it might be manageable for a new player, but it might put them off the game being that minor!

• @SAS:

@Rommel:

@SAS:

@Rommel:

I think your confusion is between the individual Europe 1940 game and the full combined 1940 game.  The individual Europe 1940 game will be 2-5 players (Germany, Italy, US, UK, USSR, + France to one of the other Allied players), the full combined 1940 game will be 2-6 players.  Pacific 1940 is only 2-4 players (Japan, US, UK, ANZAC, + China to one of the other Allied players).

It is a 6 player game.

• Official Q&A

Ummm, technically not.  Europe by itself is 2-5 players, but the combined game is 2-6.

• Thanks Krieg.  As I said, I understand your confusion, but the 2-6 players listed on the page on the website is a typo by the website tech since the description includes information about BOTH the stand-alone Europe 1940 game and the global-scale 1940 combination game.  The tech probably was confused or not paying attention (or was given the wrong information) and put the 2-6 players stat (which is correct for the combined game) on the page that is supposed to be a description of the stand-alone Europe 1940 game.

Either that or WOTC is performing a slight marketing “scam” by marketing the game as 2-6 players since the combined Europe/Pacific 1940 game can easily accomodate 6 players, though Europe by itself will only realistically accomodate 5.

• @Krieghund:

Ummm, technically not.  Europe by itself is 2-5 players, but the combined game is 2-6.

Technically it is. I just took a screenshot of the website. Go to the AA page of the wizards website. it clearly says 2-6 players for the individual AAE1940 game. Just like AAP1940 is a 4 player game with 5 powers (China). And when combined it also says up to 6 players. You claim that it’s a typo, where are you getting your information from?

• @Rommel:

@Krieghund:

Ummm, technically not.  Europe by itself is 2-5 players, but the combined game is 2-6.

Technically it is. I just took a screenshot of the website. Go to the AA page of the wizards website. it clearly says 2-6 players for the individual AAE1940 game. Just like AAP1940 is a 4 player game with 5 powers (China). And when combined it also says up to 6 players. You claim that it’s a typo, where are you getting your information from?

Believe me he know’s what he’s saying he’s a play tester/worker or something like that for Wizards or whatever, he knows.

• @Krieghund:

Ummm, technically not.  Europe by itself is 2-5 players, but the combined game is 2-6.

Hey Keighund, got a question; Why could it not be considered to be up to a nine person global game instead of six.  I do understand that playing France, China or ANZAC will be very minor, however, it’s possible for nine people to draw straws and last three places got it get the minors.  Or am I missing somthing?  I’m assuming that it’s just listed as six because that is the max number that would be a good game to spread playing around equally so nobody is just totally eliminated fast with France or having to play limited China.  Is this correct?  Thanx……

• '10

You claim that it’s a typo, where are you getting your information from?

Krieghund is an Axis & Allies developer, editor, and playtester. He helped develope the game you’re referring to. He works for Larry, not Wizards.

• @GrayBlaZe:

@Krieghund:

Hey Keighund, got a question; Why could it not be considered to be up to a nine person global game instead of six.  I do understand that playing France, China or ANZAC will be very minor, however, it’s possible for nine people to draw straws and last three places got it get the minors.  Or am I missing somthing?  I’m assuming that it’s just listed as six because that is the max number that would be a good game to spread playing around equally so nobody is just totally eliminated fast with France or having to play limited China.  Is this correct?  Thanx……

Well you could play with 10 (Germany, USSR, Japan, UK, India, ANZAC, Italy, USA, China, and France,) but that won’t be fun.

• @Rommel:

@Krieghund:

The information I’m getting is from Larry Harris, who is the game developer himself, and Krieg here, who just clearly stated that the Europe game’s rules will be 2-5 players, and he is also a developer who is heavily involved in creating the rules with Larry.  Furthermore, my information is based on the fact that Avalon Hill and its parent company Wizards of the Coast have an extensive history of problems with partial or incorrect information appearing on their websites (often times there isn’t any information), and all it takes is looking at the Pacific 1940 game itself to see the typos and little mistakes that they missed in production of the game; I highly doubt that their website is of a higher priority to them than the game itself in which they still allow typos.

If you weren’t going to believe any explanation given, why ask the question in the first place?  I acknowledged your point that the website contradicts what we were telling you, and gave you a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why this might be the case.  I understand wanting to verify sources, that’s a legitimate request, but website descriptions (especially pre-release) of products are very often inaccurate, even from companies that don’t have a history of inaccuracy anyway.  Now, granted, forums are often inaccurate as well, but you asked, and I have verified my sources for you.  Believe what you wish, but this is the information we have here.

If you want to look at trustworthy information about the Europe game and the combination global-scale game for yourself, check out the stickied thread at the top of this Europe 1940 board for information directly from the developers Larry and Krieg themselves.  Otherwise you’ll have to deal with what people here are willing to share with you if you don’t want to do the research yourself.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m