Any good American Civil War games out there?

• Hello Everyone, I was wondering if there are any good board games out there that revolve around the American Civil War? Growing up I truly loved Conquest of Empires, and Axis & Allies because of their game pieces as well as game play. I tend to stay away from flat, topographical grid games that use flat cardboard tokens.

Anyway, I think this topic has been grossly under-appreciated or given real credence for gamers, and with the 150th anniversary rolling around this could be a great new topic for designers, any thought?

• Avalon Hill made the Civil war game “Battle Cry.”

• Thank you CalvinHobbesliker I will have to go and investigate it. Have you ever played it? Any reviews or remarks would be much appreciated. I’ve been reading about A HOUSE DIVIDED but it still seems to be lacking quite a bit.

• Richard Borg’s Battle Cry is a GREAT GAME!

I heard they are remaking it for 2011.

• NICE! That is great news, thanks guys. I’ve read some positive things about this game, but when I looked it up on Amazon I saw that it’s going for $170. +

Yikes!!

I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled. Here’s to something new in 2011. It’s going to be a big year.

• Stratego.

• There was Milton Bradley game called Civil War:

Name was later changed to Battle Cry, not to be confused with the more modern Avalon Hill version.

It used plastic pieces:

• Parker Brothers had a game called 1863:

It used flat shaped pieces to represent different units:

• This Hallowed Ground by Xeno Games:

• Battle Cry (Avalon Hill)

• American Civil War by Eagle Games:

• Those are your choices for non hex games.

• Wow, thank you so much Brain Damaged, those all look very interesting. I’ve not heard of any of them  :-(. I will have to investigate further  :-), (thank you very much.)

Have you tried any of these games?

I must admit that I’m a little discouraged about BATTLE CRY as it could be easily OVER within half an hour. I like gaming, but don’t want the fun to end within an hour. Heck, this war lasted almost as long as either World Wars, and it happened right here in the States, which included many, many different heritages and tactics. I’m a big CW buff and WWII comes second on my list of necessary wars. Maybe it’s because the ACW was so complex like; territories, tactics, technology, philosophical viewpoints, and weaponry that make this a tough topic to nail? I see something in A&A that could carry over to pre-19th century innovation.

Here is a sample of some of my 1:6 figures that commemorate the ACW

my collection has grown so much since these pics, so please excuse.

• You probably didn’t mean this, but I loved this game.  :mrgreen:

• The American Civil War by Eagle Games is also a great game ( along with its cousin Napoleon in Europe).
    Its more along the lines of axis and allies compared to BattleCry, although it is much more detailed than A&A and has many political and diplomatic rules.

But good luck finding a copy. Eagle Games said it was going to make ACW 2 for 2006, but then they stopped making big box war and empire games entirely.

• @Brain:

There was Milton Bradley game called Civil War:

Name was later changed to Battle Cry, not to be confused with the more modern Avalon Hill version.

It used plastic pieces:

how old is the original one.

• @Imperious:

Yikes. Was it only reprinted once?

• I have 3 copies. One of them is as i recall 1970 with a slightly different box cover, with the other 2 1962. I have played this game since the mid 1970’s.

I even made some modified rules…

infantry hits on 1
    cavalry hits on 2 or less
    Artillery hits on 3 or less

Only 3 rounds of combat possible and you only had to be adjacent ( no long lines of pieces with the one that jumps over the ones you captured)

WE also made sea zones and added ships

• @Jermofoot:

You probably didn’t mean this, but I loved this game.  :mrgreen:

Awesome!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m