• When Japan exercises its sneak attack option and conducts an assault on a territory with an anti-aircraft gun, can the defender get anti-aircraft rolls against any attacking aircraft?  Since the defender is unable to return fire the first round of combat during a sneak attack, may I assume that the anti-aircraft defence is unable to fire?  If it is not, would the anti-aircraft defence fire on the second round of combat, assuming any Japanese aircraft remain?

Would the same rules apply when Japan conducts a surprise attack against an allied fleet adjacent to a naval base?

And for yet more repitition.  If the sneak attack includes a strategic bombing raid on an industrial complex or a tactical bombing raid on an airfield, naval base, or anti-aircraft gun, is the defender able to fire at the strategic and/or tactical bombers before they strike?

Can allied aircraft scramble from an adjacent airfield(s) to intercept a Japanese fleet conducting a surprise attack on an allied fleet?

Any feedback is welcome!!!

• '14

No AA fire after the first round of combat. This is for AA guns and any other unit that has an AA value. This also includes strategic bombing and tactical bombing raids.

No scrambling of any aircraft in the 3 battles that are considered sneak attacks.

• Tigerman,

I am not clear on your response.  Are you saying no AA fire at all as one cannot defend from the first round of the sneak attack, and there is no AA after the first round?  Or there is AA fire as the AA is not affected by the sneak attack?

Thanks!

• '14

Sorry,  During a sneak attack the enemy may not use AA fire on the first round or any other round after the first.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Can the Japanese sneak attack move THROUGH enemy Units?

IE, can Japanese tanks blitz through an occupied territory, and attack the capital?

Or can Japanese ships move through a destroyer screen, to the capital, and amphibiously unload?

This is of paramount importance for an upcoming game! :P

• If I remember right I read, you could use one of your sneak attacks for the naval battle to make way for an amphibious assault.
    Then use a second sneak attack for the actual amphibious assault, but not to ignore the sea battle.

You cannot use sneak attack to blitz.

• For the Japanese sneak attack to be effective, as it was in 1941, the allies must be unprepared for the attack.  In our last Global 1939 game, the allies attempted to avert a sneak attack by placing destroyer blocks one sea zone away from the evident Japanese target.  While this is an extremely logical move for the allies, it renders the Japanese sneak attack impotent.  Likewise, it is impossible to capture the U.S. fleet “unawares” as the U.S. fleet can naval base jump away from any threatening Japanese fleet.  I would think that the U.S. should be prohibited from moving any of its starting Hawaii fleet (with the exception of the carrier) away from the islands until the U.S. declaration of war.  I also think that Japan should be permitted one blitzkrieg naval attack to obviate the allies’ predisposition to place destroyer blocks.  This blitzkrieg attack would count as 2 of the 3 sneak attacks Japan is permitted.

Thoughts?

• '14

Americancyco is right, You must attack the naval  ships in that zone. Remember that the US ships can not end their turn in a zone that does not contain a US territory or in a convoy zone. So a destroyer blockade is illegal, in a sense! US ships could be in the sea zone around Wake, Midway, or Guam……but not the empty sea zones in between!  Hope this helps out.

Specifically the issue is India.

If the japanese are off the coast of Malaya or the DEI somewhere, and the british fan thier ships out to prevent any landing -should- the japanese attack. Is the amphibious attack prevented? Or can the Japanese move through the ships, to a sz next to calcutta, and land?

I am totally in agreement that you cannot use the sneak attack to wanton blitz past units/blocks you don’t want to fight.  But the hosting party of my next game wholly disagrees. :P

You see, whats going to happen on February 23, is that we’ll be having our next game…

Japan is going to steam it’s entire navy as close to calcutta as fast as possible.  And on J3 or so, it will be in position to strike at calcutta 2 or 3 zones away…

The debate is whether the british can stop them or not.

My understanding is that if there are any british ships along the path of Sz’s to india, that they can’t be ignored/bypassed.  Hence, a landing is IMPOSSIBLE.  This needs to be clarified.

The confusion comes from the term “sneak”, and for all intensive purposes, I don’t necessarily disagree with the japanese players thought, that perhaps sneaking past ships WAS the intent of the game creators.

We just need to know -for sure-! :)

• '14

The rules clearly state that if there you are wanting to amphib assault you must first finish the naval battle, so no you can not bypass the naval ships. BUT, you can declare your attack as an amphibious assault, and continue the amphibious assault after winning the naval battle. But as for just passing through a zone with an enemy ship to get to the coast, no you can not!

@Tigerman77:

The rules clearly state that if there you are wanting to amphib assault you must first finish the naval battle, so no you can not bypass the naval ships. BUT, you can declare your attack as an amphibious assault, and continue the amphibious assault after winning the naval battle. But as for just passing through a zone with an enemy ship to get to the coast, no you can not!

The bolded is what I was looking for.

Thank you!

• '14

I see!  Sorry it took so long!

• Two further clarifications please.  When the Japanese conduct their sneak attacks, following combat the units participating in each sneak attack are permitted a full non-combat move.

1)  If the sneak attack results in the capture of a territory with a naval base, may the naval units move 3 spaces as Japan owned the naval base at the commencement of the non-combat move?
    2)  Can planes fly four spaces to participate in a sneak attack (normally not permitted as this would be a suicide attack) and then fly four spaces as part of the non-combat move (a total of 8 spaces - 4 spaces in followed by 4 spaces out)?

• '14

#Moose11~ 1) No.  2) No.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m