• Just was wondering what others thought of the Avatar movie. Just watched it last weekend and was quite impressed. Some top film work in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

• @Panzer:

Just was wondering what others thought of the Avatar movie. Just watched it last weekend and was quite impressed. Some top film work in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

I thought it was a movie worth watching twice.

• Pretty good movie, doesn’t make my top ten though.

• It was the most beautiful movie ever produced. The absolute Pinnacle of american Cinema.

• @Brain:

Pretty good movie, doesn’t make my top ten though.

I agree.

• I didn’t find anything about it particularly new or fresh but I like ‘that’ story and I did find myself rooting for the ‘good guys.’ As one review I read said, "Cameron is a master with the ‘grammar’ of cinema. The guy knows how to shoot/edit a movie.

I also completely bought into the effects. It was not hard to accept that the Na’Vi and company were ‘real.’ My girlfriend said, “This must have been what it was like to see Star Wars when it came out.”

It is a remarkable technical achievement and provides sci-fi’s traditional allegorical lens.

@ABWorsham:

@Brain:

Pretty good movie, doesn’t make my top ten though.

I agree.

Not in my top ten on the whole either or even my top Cameron film but certainly the best CGI I’ve ever seen.

• Some good responses here - thank you everyone for your imput.

I do agree that it is a very good story and the CGI is the best I have seen yet. You do find yourself hoping the Na’Vi come out the winners. :-D

The idea of the Avatar that you become and control is also neat. Similar to that Surrogate movie concept with Bruce Willis, where all humans now use “surrogates” to live their lifes through and never go outside themselves.

I really liked the floating mountains and the idea that the gravity is different in that area of the planet because of the large gas giant that Pandora orbits. Some thought was really put into this and may actually not be that far fetched.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

It was the most beautiful movie ever produced.

I second that.

It had the single greatest visuals I have ever seen in any movie, ever. One of the few times I could say I had a “jaw dropping moment”.

Having said that, the story was ok, the acting was average, and it didn’t really have you eager to see what happens next in the plot any more than what beautiful scenery you can see next. Although to be fair, it was well enough I’d place it in my top 10 favorite movies.

• I really liked, it it’s not in my top 5 or anything, but it was well put together good plot, good action.
    I would buy it on DVD.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m