• Has anyone used the Marine rules and pieces from Pacific for AAP40?

• '22 '19 '18

No, but I wish that had that little special rule for P40.  I guess we could always house rule that.

• @cond1024:

No, but I wish that had that little special rule for P40.  I guess we could always house rule that.

Or use the rule that came in Pacific.

• '22 '19 '18

It has been a few years since I played Pacific.  If I remember it was they attack at a 2 or less on amphibious attacks and art increased attack to 3 and they only cost three.  Was there anything else?
    I meant house rule because it is not included in OOB rules for P40.

• The rule book for Pacific is on the WotC website. You can review it there and the cost is 4 per Marine. A few good men in a game never hurt anything.

• I think it was a bit unneeded even in Pacific. Artillery attack on a 2, and inf with artillery attack on a 2. In classic there was no art, so marines were a very common house rule since otherwise amphibOps were very, very difficult. In AAP, though, artillery exists, and that means for 7 you can have two 2s.  Thus, it is useless to put two marines on a transport, strictly worse than one art one inf. So, marines only are useful when attacking with artillery. The one IPC to get a 3 rather than a 2 is nice and usually worth it, but it really has very little effect on the game. It also means having to worry about an additional color for infantry, which is which. It is extra overhead for something that barely affects the game.

P40 wouldn’t be any different with marines, really. I can’t see it changing the outcome at all.

• @Tralis:

I think it was a bit unneeded even in Pacific. Artillery attack on a 2, and inf with artillery attack on a 2. In classic there was no art, so marines were a very common house rule since otherwise amphibOps were very, very difficult. In AAP, though, artillery exists, and that means for 7 you can have two 2s.  Thus, it is useless to put two marines on a transport, strictly worse than one art one inf. So, marines only are useful when attacking with artillery. The one IPC to get a 3 rather than a 2 is nice and usually worth it, but it really has very little effect on the game. It also means having to worry about an additional color for infantry, which is which. It is extra overhead for something that barely affects the game.

P40 wouldn’t be any different with marines, really. I can’t see it changing the outcome at all.

Thanks for the input. I might try it next time I play AAP40. The way the dice have been rolling for me lately I might need a few good men on the board to help me out.

• I do sometimes, but most people get pissed off when I do

• How about coupling a mech Infantry (which in this case represent AMTRACs) with a Marine which then when together on an Ampibious attack can do so at a with combined stgenth of 3.  That would make Marines worth the 4 IPCs to purchase I think. :-D

• Just take some old US and/or Japanese figures and use the same rules as in Pacific.

• I believe to get the Marine bonus, you have to be conducting an amphib attack also.

• @dinosaur:

I believe to get the Marine bonus, you have to be conducting an amphib attack also.

That is correct.

• Indeed, I do miss Marines.  I’ve actually posted on this before.  Throwing 3 inf and 3 art in Queensland in a game of PAC40 just isn’t near as powerful as 3 marines and 3 artillery would be.  I also miss how China was designed in the old game.  There Chinese territory was (mostly) worthless so it’s not near the same incentive for Japan to take it.  In PAC40 China is worth 12 bucks! (vs. 2 in the old game)

• There is an advantage for Japan here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/520464/research-and-development that would make Marines useful. It is posted in the AA42 forums but might provide for some interesting battles in AAP40 or AA50 or AA42.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m