• '10

Has anyone seen any part of the new Pacific series yet? If so what did you think of it so far?

• I watch and record every episode.

Episode 5 coming up this Sunday.

Love the intro and the action.

• @Imperious:

I watch and record every episode.

Episode 5 coming up this Sunday.

Love the intro and the action.

Oh man, I forgot to watch those.

• better? those were hard to beat. will definately check out when all are out.

• '10

Too soon to say better. I have only seen two episodes so far. Lots of very confusing night scenes. Taking realism to the extreme. The problem is you cannot tell what is going on. Maybe realistic but not good viewing.@idk_iam_swiss:

better? those were hard to beat. will definately check out when all are out.

@i:

i like them there as good or evan better then the band of brothers

• '16 '15 '10

Following the first episode, it didn’t really seem up to par with Band of Brothers.  But the 2nd ep (lots of night action on Guadalcanal) was bad-ass…

• Just saw episode 7 last night and together with episode 6 made me decide that the series is as good or even better than Band of Brothers.

• I wish they would get rid of the ‘sex episodes’, where the decorated war hero rides around selling war bonds. I just want the battles and campaigns, not the soap opera riffraff to keep young adults from changing the channel.

• I loved Band of Brothers(in my top 5 war movies)!

I was hoping Pacific would be just as good but…

Its a soap opera.

The intro credits are stupid and like ten minutes long! The map at the begining is awk. Band of Brothers is so much better. I apprecaite the battle scenes, but they are still not what they could be. It seems too disjointed and i dont find it as compelling as BoB, maybe that was just the nature of the island campaigns however.

I would have probably stopped watching it by now, but James Badge Dale “Peaches” is my cousin so its cool seeing him on TV. He has been in 24 and other TV shows and he was the other mole in the Departed.

• The intro credits are stupid and like ten minutes long!

Now wait a minute. I think the intro is one of the best for a war series i ever saw. In fact the best of all time ( longest day is probably close) The music also has a very pronounced effect. The end credits do take a bit of time and i don’t like that the show ends nearly 10 minutes before the hour is over.

I wish they made it into a TV show like Combat. To me its just as good as Band of Brothers.

• '10

I am really enjoying the series.  I watch it every week and will 100% be getting it on DVD when it is released.

However I have to agree with some that there is to much Drama in some episodes. That is the only thing holding this series back from being better than Band of Brothers

Great show!  Highly recommended +++

• @Imperious:

I wish they would get rid of the ‘sex episodes’, where the decorated war hero rides around selling war bonds. I just want the battles and campaigns, not the soap opera riffraff to keep young adults from changing the channel.

The episode on Australia threw me off a bit because of the drama part but at the same time you kinda start wondering how it affected Leckie on the events afterwards. I’m not disliking seeing what happened to Basilone afterwards since the scenes are brief and it is getting to know what he was doing before getting back to combat. It might look more of a soap opera than Band of Brothers but that’s because it focus on those 2 soldiers and Ledge unlike the officer and the whole company on Band of Brothers.

Still, the thing that sets it a notch above Band of Brothers are the battlefield scenes. On Band of Brothers the pace was lower and there were plenty of drama involved (the little Dutch boy eating chocolate the first time, the medic meeting the french nurse on Bastogne, the captain becoming a drunk, etc.). On Pacific everything is a lot darker: mutilating bodies, torturing wounded Japanese soldiers, killing your own men, etc.

• My favorite character was the ‘skipper’ who was killed in last weeks episode  :x He was alot like Sgt. Saunders. The episodes don’t need to show people having sex to convey the shenanigans going on behind the lines.

• '10

@Imperious:

My favorite character was the ‘skipper’ who was killed in last weeks episode  :x He was alot like Sgt. Saunders. The episodes don’t need to show people having sex to convey the shenanigans going on behind the lines.

He was my favorite character also… it was disturbing to see him crack at the end.

• Yea and they had another ‘sex episode’ making it 4 out of 7?

Its almost like having Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars… you know he’s in it and you cringe at the thought that they stopping fighting for another soap opera detour.

• I don’t know what to think of this series the intro and music are really good. The fight scenes are well done and realistic, I especially liked the Guadalcanal episode glad they showed Savo Island in the distance. But I don’t think it had those emotional moments like BoB did like Speir’s run to I company or the bombardment of Bastogne. I just don’t feel for the characters in the Pacific as much as the ones in BoB.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

@Imperious:

My favorite character was the ‘skipper’ who was killed in last weeks episode  :x He was alot like Sgt. Saunders. The episodes don’t need to show people having sex to convey the shenanigans going on behind the lines.

He was my favorite character also… it was disturbing to see him crack at the end.

It was actually Gunnery Sgt Pop Haney that cracked at that end.  The capt. that was killed was Andrew “Ack Ack” Haldane.  In his book “With the Old Breed” E. B. Sledge recorded that when Capt. Haldane was killed he felt that the last of the old breed was gone.

• '10

I was disappointed by the last episode.  The entire Iwo scene was just 10 min long?  The rest was all drama about the home front!

I just watched BOB last week, the difference I hate to say is Night and Day.

In the entire series there was just ONE sex scene, and that was in POINTS after the war was over.

I’m disappointed because as my Son gets older I would like to watch these with him to get him interested in History and WW2.  All the needless Sex in The Pacific makes it difficult to introduce to your children… regardless of their age.

• Tom Hanks jumped the shark. He included too much sex in the end. I got bored way early on.

• The last episode looks like another sex episode. The focus is too much on people trying to skirt around their duties and how they cope with downtime. The battle is window dressing to “how they are feeling” about what and where they are. Rather the focus must be on the gritty battles and how they overcome these challenges. I can care less about their ‘feelings’ and how they behaved when on shore leave with women. It needed to be more like Combat!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m