Why are there Canadian roundels? A new rule perhaps?

• @Canuck12:

I see we have clearly figured out that quoting device and are making good use of it there mike. I’ve never seen a stack like that before!

Welcome to the boards.

P.S. You a 'Riders fan?

Yup! Raised in Saskatchewan.  Played football in junior high and high school and now I referee football in Grande Prairie, Alberta.  I keep trying to wear my Rider hat on the field, but the other refs won’t let me. Bunch of Eskimo fans.  I thought of using the name “Canuck Truck” but decided to go with his picture instead. My other choices were the roundel which you’re already using or the Red Ensign. It’s fun doing the “quote thingy”.  Thanks for the welcome.

• @Canuck12:

I see we have clearly figured out that quoting device and are making good use of it there mike. I’ve never seen a stack like that before!

Welcome to the boards.

P.S. You a 'Riders fan?

I think that he has achieved his quote quota.

• @The:

@oztea:

Banter back and forth in my gaming group is that the Canadian roundels may sybolize a UK special power. The power would be that, if London falls, Canada “becomes” a power. Canada is controled by the UK player and can only collect Canadian IPCs.

This possibility stems from the fact that sea lion might succeed with a sly German player leading the Kreigsmarine. Considering there will likeley be 3 turns to play with untill the US and Russia become active, a jab at London would change the game irrevicably. Therefore, I susspect, and hope that if this happens the UK continues to fight, colleting some IPCs in an attempt to liberate the home islands

Thoughts?
    Or am i just crazy kreig….

I definitely think that Canada and Anzac should fight on. Although maybe not so much Egypt, India, or South Africa.

I agree fire night, Canada and the anzac were independent while they other were colonies

• @finnman:

@The:

@oztea:

Banter back and forth in my gaming group is that the Canadian roundels may sybolize a UK special power. The power would be that, if London falls, Canada “becomes” a power. Canada is controled by the UK player and can only collect Canadian IPCs.

This possibility stems from the fact that sea lion might succeed with a sly German player leading the Kreigsmarine. Considering there will likeley be 3 turns to play with untill the US and Russia become active, a jab at London would change the game irrevicably. Therefore, I susspect, and hope that if this happens the UK continues to fight, colleting some IPCs in an attempt to liberate the home islands

Thoughts?
    Or am i just crazy kreig….

I definitely think that Canada and Anzac should fight on. Although maybe not so much Egypt, India, or South Africa.

I agree fire night, Canada and the anzac were independent while they other were colonies

Well, South Africa was more than just a colony, but they’re much more isolated and even less useful in a more independent state for gameplay than ANZAC or even Canada are/would be.

• South Africa does not have enough economy to be its own nation in the game.

• @Brain:

South Africa does not have enough economy to be its own nation in the game.

Precisely.

• @SilverAngelSurfer:

@Brain:

Precisely.

I believe the last valid candidate to become an independent power in the game would be Canada.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@Brain:

I believe the last valid candidate to become an independent power in the game would be Canada.

Agreed.

I have also come to agree with you that making Canada an absolutely independent power would draw the game out too much and is not necessary. I do, however, believe that a split income rule, as we have talked about here, would be appropriate to the new Europe and global game.

• or at least a rule that made it so if england was captuered canada would continue to play

• @i:

or at least a rule that made it so if england was captuered canada would continue to play

And then what? India after that? and then Egypt, South Africa,……etc.

How many lives does UK get?

• Canada-Can Uk fight on?
    I am betting yes
    Provinces
    I believe
    Newfoundland and Labrador (UK-Owned)-1 IPC
    Nova Scotia and PEI-1 IPC
    New Brunswick-1 IPC
    Quebec-2 IPCs
    Ontario-3 IPCs
    Yukon-0 IPCs
    Nunavut and Northern Territory-0 IPCs
    British Columbia-1 IPC
    Saskatchewan-1 IPC
    Alberta-1 IPC
    Manitoba-1 IPC
    10 territories
    All that talk about Russia
    This is very off topic but there are ten reasons I think we could have won W/o the rooskies
    1. MANHATTAN PROJECT
    2. 16 Million men at arms ( then add Britain, China, France, Aussies, South Africa,Dominican Republic, Brazil, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvedor, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Resistance Fighters, and volunteers from around the world)
    3.Oil
    4.Once our economy got rolling, our Economy
    5.The USAAC (US army air corps)
    6. The RAF
    7. Patton
    8. The Marines
    9. Montgomery
    10. Goering

• @Brain:

@SilverAngelSurfer:

@Brain:

Precisely.

That gives us:
    Major:
    UK
    USA
    USSR
    Germany
    Italy
    Japan
    Minor:
    Canada
    ANZAC
    France
    China
    10 Powers, 2 of which are not autonomous

• @Croesus:

@Brain:

@SilverAngelSurfer:

@Brain:

Precisely.

That gives us:
    Major:
    UK
    USA
    USSR
    Germany
    Italy
    Japan
    Minor:
    Canada
    ANZAC
    France
    China

I don’t believe Canada and ANZAC will be in the global game leaving us only 8 powers.

• @Brain:

@Croesus:

@Brain:

@SilverAngelSurfer:

@Brain:

Precisely.

That gives us:
    Major:
    UK
    USA
    USSR
    Germany
    Italy
    Japan
    Minor:
    Canada
    ANZAC
    France
    China

I don’t believe Canada and ANZAC will be in the global game leaving us only 8 powers.

From what has been said about France, it will be controlled by one of the other players, as China is in Pacific; and if we include Canada in the list as a subset of UK with the split income, that gives 7 available player spots.

BD may be right that ANZAC will be treated the same way in the global game, giving us an even 6 player spots.

• So you are saying that China and France will be played by an existing power?

• @Brain:

So you are saying that China and France will be played by an existing power?

Almost definitely. 6 players would probable be the max # used in a game of this. Unless you have a good group that can have fun and participate actively even if only given a power that dies after the first turn.

• @The:

@Brain:

So you are saying that China and France will be played by an existing power?

Almost definitely. 6 players would probable be the max # used in a game of this. Unless you have a good group that can have fun and participate actively even if only given a power that dies after the first turn.

Well I still only like a 2 player game anyway cause I am kind of a control freak when I play games. So for me playing China or France would probably be okay because then I wouldn’t care as much knowing I am not gonna last long.

• According to Larry Harris himself, the Canadian dream is dead. Except in the never-never-land of house rules. He says:

Canadian roundels in this game are more about recognition of the contributions this particular corner of the world provided to the Allied efforts during World War II. I also wanted to demonstrate their degree of independence from Great Britain. The power is way too small to hold the attention, or provide an interesting game for a single dedicated player. At the same time the UK would be seriously disadvantaged if it was not receiving these Canadian IPCs. To sum it up… The Canadian roundels are all about…“Recognition” – “Acknowledgment”.

On a more unofficial note… With the existing of dedicated Canadian territories (roundels) there is oh so much room for some Canadian house rules here. I think all units produced in these Canadian territories should have a Canadian roundel placed under them. It would be both fun and interesting to watch their particular progress across the battlefields of Europe and the Pacific.

If you have some ideas on any special features that can be assigned to this power (Canada) send them along. Maybe we can together make some new rules. They would be totally unofficial of course, but still, perhaps with my endorsement you’d find such rules somewhat more “official” and acceptable. I mean come on… you could always point out to your friends that the designer of the game thinks this or that rule is … Ok to play with. In other words, the designer agrees that they can fit into the over all game system and not instigate a drag, unbalancing, or some other negative aspect.

Put this on while you give your salute and shed tears of bitter disappointment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDvF0NtgdU

• '10

This is already listed on the Europe/Pacific factsheet

• @Make_It_Round:

……while you give your salute and shed tears of bitter disappointment

Who’s shedding tears? We don’t need another country in this game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m