1000 year Reich, was it possible?

and to add to that Marine would they have been able to beat oure production?

GG

• and to add to that Marine would they have been able to beat oure production?

They wouldnt have to. Once Britian and Russia were conquered, how would we assemble, supply, and deploy a force large enought to penetrae the continent? With the Atlantic Wall fully manned, and ample Luftwaffe cover, “Fortress Europe” would become a reality. America is valuble only so much as it’s allies survive.
    Also, our production gap was not as large as you might think. We outproduced Germany by so much becuase Hitler put a ton of resources into his little “projects”, like the V-2 Rocket, which consumed producion of about 24,000 planes, and an artillery piece that could shoot across the English Channel (bombed en route to Belgium). Fully devoted, The German war machine could produce enough to hold off the Americans. Besides, Germany never lacked tanks or planes so much as they lacked oil or personnel.
    You also forget one thing: America is a democracy. We were attacked by Japan, not Germany. The newspapers always showed hatred for the Japanese, not the Germans. If the war was going really badly, and did not have much hope of winning, the people would eventually elect someone to get them out of the war.

Hitler would not be able to set foot in N. America (He was already allied with Argentina. No declaration of war was made by Argentina, kinda like Franco) but as long as America could not defeat Germany, he wouldn’t need to.

• My presumption was based on Germany stopping periodically. Like I said, major change in tactics.
    With Russia and England out of the war America mould have had a rough time doing much for the same reasons you state they could not invade us. The same Ocean would have stood in our way. Now you need to remember where the oil, etc was. They would have controlled it, not us.
    I still doubt it, but it’s not impossible.

But to invade would have cost a huge amount of oil in shipping…

GG

• could Nazi Germany possibly have conquered the world? unlikely, but yes. several key things would have had to turn out differently (Japan never bombed pearl harbor, RAF didnt defeat luftwaffe, Operation Barbarossa succeeded, etc.) but it was possible. would it have lasted 1000 years? not with it operating that same way

• its like yamamoto said, “i fear that i have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve.” he knew we couldnt be beaten.

well as I have mentioned before Germany didn’t have higgins boats :-? …

GG

• But to invade would have cost a huge amount of oil in shipping…

Well, if they had beaten Russia and England, then thye would have had the oil of both the Casucases and the Middle East (they briefly occupied Syria) so oil would no longer be a problem/ however, thye woudl not have to invade the US. Thye would lose, it would be pointless, becuase if Europe was conquered, America could not beat Germany. It would be a stalemate, and we would eventually make peace becuase we are a democracy, and the poeple woudl eventually be fed up with having only Californian wine 8) .

its like yamamoto said, “i fear that i have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve.” he knew we couldnt be beaten.

yes, but that does not mean it could beat Japan. Their are two types of losing: failing to acheive your objective, and being invaded and forced to make peace. We would never have been invaded, but we may never have been able to invade the japanese empire either. Even after Midway, the Japanese had several opportunities to set us back huge. For example, after the battle of Savo island (guadacanal), in which the task force under Admiral Mikawa perfomred a night raid on the American destoyers and crusiers in the area, destroying several ships and killing 1000 men, the transports (the only ones in the pacific) were completely exposed. If Mikawa had destroyed them, the marines on Henderson’s field would have been stranded, and quickly overwhelmed. That would have completely destoyed any possibility of making an offensive for several months. Other battles, such as midway itself, other battles during the Gudacanal campaign, and even a couple after (Imphal, etc.) could have prevented a Japanese defeat.

(Sigh…)

You forget, taking territory COST men not gives them more supplies… If they conquered Russia and Britain they would have had to put men back and look at what the US could have mustered… besides you think that if UK was invaded we wouldn’t have declared war which is not true… We and Britain are too close… And in Summer '41 all American Shipping and Aircraft had the right to sink any German vessel west of Iceland… They would have sunk a majority of the shipping and the US Democratic way of defense I think would have come into affect :wink: … Plus All are Tank Factories were in the great lakes! long march… And you think that the US is a weakling with no money or spirit!!! gemeneez, like maybe they should get 10 IPC’s in AaA :-?

GG

• I still do not see how it would have been possible for Germany to defeat either GB or Russia.

Stalin was prepared for a long, bloody fight and moved his armament production to factories on the other side of the Urals … about as far from Moscow as Berlin is from Moscow. Considering the difficulties that the Germans had in approaching Moscow, can you imagine any way it could have been possible to make it to beyond the Urals with losing vast quantities of manpower just to hold the territories from partisan uprising? Most of the German advance was gained by their catching Russia off guard. Yes, had Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad been taken the USSR would have been less able to fight but still that isn’t victory for Germany. The best Germany could have hoped for (once it became apparent that Russia was not going to collapse) would have been to pick a defensive line and stabilize the front. Difficult to do with a defensive line thousands of miles long. Ask the Japanese about their experience in China where they had hundreds of thousands of troops tied down in a similar situation against a country with no factories in the far distance to help build war supplies.

Likewise, Churchill was no less determined. The German Navy could have no hope of either invading or starving Britian as the British navy was too dominant. Only if the ME262 was available IN LARGE NUMBERS in 1940 could air superiority been maintained such that an invasion would have been possible (but I think still very unlikely to succeed), but this aircraft was never available is sufficient quantities. And then what to do if GB continues the fight from Canada?

I also don’t buy the idea of fortress Europe as not being possible to invade. We did it during the war in the amphibious invasion of Sicily and Italy. Africa and the Middle East is close enough to Europe for this type of operation against Greece and Vichy France as well. And had Germany won in Africa, it would have been possible to take Africa back from India, via the Middle East.

• i agree the allies would be very hard to defeat easily. It would end up in a stalemate if germany had luck and good tactics and strategy on their side.

V2 rocket project and other of these projects were costing extreme amounts of production while germany needed every plane to protect their factories and tanks.
    Winter clothing and other adaptions to russia’s extreme weather.(whole armies froze to death). They crushed the russians in the first year but were halted by the weather and other conditions which made progression really slow and favored defense.
    Japanese attack on Russia
    and better strategy concerning Leningrad, stalingrad and Kursk.
    Oh and dont go to war against three superpowers at the same time.

but thats a lot of: wel if they did this then they could have……

The allies made some stupid moves too its part of warfare. But lets say if germany did all things the right way. Russia would move its factories and still fight on and invasion of britain and USA were out of scope yet.

But if germany managed to stabilize the russian front after taking much of russia. They could switch to divert attention to Africa and fight for control of sea and air. Though neither side would fully get this (germany vs Brittain/USA) to have an oppurtunity to launch a succesful invasion.

So fortress Europe. Everyone says resistance would prove a problem but i doubt this. The nazi’s didnt have reserves killing anyone which only vaguely came in their way. They would cleanse entire russian territories and would act in a similar destructive way wherever resistance would spring up. They now have resources and time diverted from the russian front mind you.

Look at North Korea, once propaganda and force sink in at young age and you blame all bad things to a common enemy you get a reasonable stable situation. You see germany never showed its full capacity. The hitler children were still young. Give this 20 years more and you would have generations of fanatical nazi’s each having 8 to 10 children (which was the fascist ideal, enough new soldiers in case of boys to keep fighting and dying and enough breeding machines and housewives in case of girls)

So a war could then drag on and on. But the americans would finally win when they make their nukes. (would need a lot but they were a huge leap ahead of competition here if used fast and in masse)

And eventually these totalitarion regimes start to crumble anyway.

so there wasnt a real chance of victory once they started waging war with USA russia and britain. And even if they had stabilised the situation they wouldnt get their 1000 year reich.

• You forget, taking territory COST men not gives them more supplies… If they conquered Russia and Britain they would have had to put men back and look at what the US could have mustered

Yes they would have to put men their, but not nearly as much as thye did fighting them. They certainly would not have needed two third of their army to suppress Russia. The russians, while patriotic, were not communists, and the partisan resistance would have been minimal IF Hitler did not persecute the slavs. Thats a big if, but somehting he could have changed. Also, i never said occupy Britian, i said beat them. Hitler’s “world order” called for peace with Britian. Many people in britian wanted to end the war and make peace, if the Luftwaffe had been more successful, then they mght have.

you think that if UK was invaded we wouldn’t have declared war which is not true… We and Britain are too close… And in Summer '41 all American Shipping and Aircraft had the right to sink any German vessel west of Iceland… They would have sunk a majority of the shipping and the US Democratic way of defense I think would have come into affect … Plus All are Tank Factories were in the great lakes! long march… And you think that the US is a weakling with no money or spirit!!! gemeneez, like maybe they should get 10 IPC’s in AaA

Um… i was talking about a situation where America WAS at war with Germany, so i know they would have declared war. As ive said, Germany would not invade America, It would just defend, so the location of the factories is irrelevant. At the time, the US had no spirit for the war with Gemrnay, thats why we needed to be attacked to trigger it, IF the war was goign badly, we would have eventually made peace. America was very isolationist back in the 40’s.

Stalin was prepared for a long, bloody fight

Hehehehe…he was far from prepared for ANY fight. He proposed a peace treaty to the Germans in the opening months of the 1941 invasion, after the fall of kiev and minsk, and constantly tried to negotiate throughout 1941. He almost fled Russia, and was so paranoid that hsi staff would betray him he locked himself in his bunker for days, without letting anyone in. He wanted peace, very badly.

Considering the difficulties that the Germans had in approaching Moscow, can you imagine any way it could have been possible to make it to beyond the Urals with losing vast quantities of manpower just to hold the territories from partisan uprising? Most of the German advance was gained by their catching Russia off guard. Yes, had Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad been taken the USSR would have been less able to fight but still that isn’t victory for Germany.

Well, first, if the invasion of MOscow had worked, then alot of those factories would not have made it to the urals, but their is a bigger point. If Germany had taken Moscow, their would have been no government to administer those factories. The soviet Administration would have collapsed, and since Hitler had acheived his objectives of reaching the Urals, he would have made peace with whatever rose up in Siberia. As for Partisians, initally the Ukranians, belorussians, and even the Russians, welcomed Nazi rule. Their was alot of Anti-semitism in Russia, so they were eager to assist the holocaust, and the SOviet government had cuased so much damage and death that any capitalist system was welcome. Only once Hitler started terrorizing the slavs did resistance occur. This is also partly why the govenrment would have collapsed, since the Russian people would not support it.

Likewise, Churchill was no less determined. The German Navy could have no hope of either invading or starving Britian as the British navy was too dominant. Only if the ME262 was available IN LARGE NUMBERS in 1940 could air superiority been maintained such that an invasion would have been possible (but I think still very unlikely to succeed), but this aircraft was never available is sufficient quantities. And then what to do if GB continues the fight from Canada?

First, an invasion of England could have been possible in a couple months after the fall of France (like 6) if the Germans built enough transports. The british navy was hardly dominant, lacking aricraft carriers and anti-air defense, so it could be paralyzed by air power during an invasion. If the ME262 is the jet fighter, which i think it is, those would not ahve been necesary at all. The earlier ME series planes could have paralyzed the RAF, and almost did, but then Hitler decided to swicth to the bombing of London. If Hitler had also coordinated both his intellgence and ariforce more effectively (His intelligence divisions were speareted into six different groups, who did not coordinate at all, leading to some very confusing reports) It could have been possible. As you said, Churchill would nto surrender, but once Churchill is gone, then that would change. Cause enough damage, make him unpopular, then have hm removed by either assisnation, revolt, or invasion.
    could say more, but i dont have time. To clarify, i dont think Hitler could have lasted 1000 years, but I do think he could have temporarily defeated the Allies before his government fell apart. I apologize for any spelling mistakes.

• “Never have so many, owed so much, to so few”–Winston Churchill

The RAF pilots were simply better than german pilots, at dunkirk the fought against five to one odds succesfuly, their machiness were on the same level as the german planes, so it has to be the skill of the pilot that won the battle of britian, i dont think that germany ever could have beaten the RAF, during some air raids, the germans lost five times the british in planes, and the loss of pilots was even worse. the kreigsmarine was smaller than just the home fleet, and in that time of crisis, the british were recalling al avialable forces to britian. the german landing craft were wooden, and could be torn appart by landing craft, the landing plank had to be lowered manually, so the men are sitting duck when they are doing so. and you are forgetting radar. the tommies would be even better prepared than the germs were at omaha, and we barely held on by our eyelids. we had better landing craft, and air and naval superiority, sonething the germans lacked. no they could not have invaded enlang succesfuly, operation sealion would have ended in disaster.

• '19 Moderator

@Herr:

So a war could then drag on and on. But the americans would finally win when they make their nukes. (would need a lot but they were a huge leap ahead of competition here if used fast and in masse)

This is actually probably not true. Germany was just as close if not further in its development of nuclear weapons. In fact I have read that with out what we learned from Germany after VE we would not have had our ready nearly as soon as we did.

If anything this would have been an alternate cold war.

Other than that I agree with most of what you said.

• The RAF pilots were simply better than german pilots, at dunkirk the fought against five to one odds succesfuly, their machiness were on the same level as the german planes, so it has to be the skill of the pilot that won the battle of britian, i dont think that germany ever could have beaten the RAF, during some air raids, the germans lost five times the british in planes, and the loss of pilots was even worse

Well, first, the hurricanes and spitfires were slightly better than the ME series, but not by much. the main reason the British were able to kill so many German planes was becuase they had the “home team advantage” Tehy did not have to waste fuel crossing the English channel, so they coudl stay up in the air alot longer, whenever their planes were shot down the pilots survived, while German pilots would be captured. Radar definately helped, but mroe important was the Enigma machine, whcih allowed the British to read all the German codes and determine where the attack would happen ahead of time (if Germnay ahd changed thier codes like the Japanese, the British intelligence would have been much less effective). Also, the fragmented intelligence of the Germans made the airforce constantly underestimate the RAF’s strength Despite all this, the numerical supiriority of the GErmans allowed them to almost beat the RAF, and they were seriosuly pressed for quite soem time. The london bombings, though, allowed the RAF to rebuild. It could have been very possible for the Luftwaffe to defeat the RAF, and britian with it. Once the RAF was defeated, a landing could have been possible, but it would not be needed. Britian could ahve just been bombed into submission. Many wanted peace, and with the war esentially lost, Churchill could have been shoved aside, or peace made.

The US were Isolationalist but FDR was not… he wanted war and probably would have found a way to inflame the general populace…

GG

• Hehehehe…he was far from prepared for ANY fight. He proposed a peace treaty to the Germans in the opening months of the 1941 invasion, after the fall of kiev and minsk, and constantly tried to negotiate throughout 1941. He almost fled Russia, and was so paranoid that hsi staff would betray him he locked himself in his bunker for days, without letting anyone in. He wanted peace, very badly.

Are you sure about this? The reason that Stalin was caught off guard in the early going was that he was building up to invade Germany. Having the bulk of his best forces captured almost immediately enabled Germany to advance quickly. However, Russia was so much bigger than Germany (or I really should say had a much bigger population) that Stalin was able to rebuild his army, mostly from the far east in time. Yes, he was stunned and did nothing for the first 10 days after the invasion, but we don’t know this was because he wanted peace. I personally think it was because he didn’t like being outsmarted by Hitler.

First, an invasion of England could have been possible in a couple months after the fall of France (like 6) if the Germans built enough transports.

But Germany did not have the transports ready at the time of the invasion and they only had about 3 months. After mid-September, the conditions in the English channel do not permit amphibious assults which is why Hitler officially called off Operation Sea Lion on Sept. 21. Even with their best efforts up to this point, the Germans were woefully short of the transports they would need for a sucessful invasion.

This is one reason why Eisenhower planned D-day on June 5-6.

The earlier ME series planes could have paralyzed the RAF, and almost did, but then Hitler decided to swicth to the bombing of London.

Not quite true. They almost paralyzed the one RAF division which was commanded under Park. However, there were several other RAF divisions in England, divided up into regions most of which saw very little action. The region under Park was of course the one within range of the German airforce. This does show the inefficiency of the RAF, but do you really think if the invasion was taking place the other divisions of the RAF would sit idly by? Churchhill himself would order them to counter-attack immediately, convention and regulations notwithstanding.

• germany could have won, up until december 7th of 1941.

• if you voted yes, you are stupid

• Who could argue with logic like that?! Dork

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m