When and where was your first game?

• I dunno. :roll: The only problem is that history isn’t like math or science or english. History comes with experience. I know people who are smarter (SAT’s blah blah blah…) than me age wise, but when it comes to history, it’s easy to outrace them. Remember, there’s straight hard facts (ie who was president in so-and-so, what happen in so-and-so) and the little, more subtle facts (why did Hitler’s chauffer drive backwards, famous WW2 weapons). And the little known facts take time to learn – years. Unless you study WW2 day and night, it’s hard to catch up to 10+ years.

• Beer Hall Putsch was in 1923, friend! But maybe that’s what you meant to type…1932, 1923 —a dangerous mistake to make :o

• yeah thoughht i put that :o was like half asleep at the time anyways so the simple fact i said it was in the 20th century is a miracle beyond itself :P

• '19 Moderator

I realy don’t want to argue somthing as silly as who knows more about what. From what you write we actualy sound some what similar, even though your still a pup ;) I prefer my own company but this is exactly the reason I could never get better at chess, I could never find any one to play.

On of the reasons I come to this site is for the WWII discussions. When a group of people start to discuss a topic that all have studied and are interested in there is always something to learn. I am fairly certain I will never know everything about war but it is fun to try:)

It is apperent that you have just read or heard something about the Beer Hall Putsch and are dieing to enlighten us all so why don’t you go over to the general discution forum and do so?

• Yeah, it’s impossible to know everything at war. Take A&A. Thirty years later, it’s still being discussed and new strategies are being made to “perfect” their technique. That’s what makes your very first game so important – it’s a long term investment

• ^_^ i agree from the lil pup :wink:

• My first game was with a “young men’s group” kind of a Boy Scouts thing we had at church. We studied teamwork and general strategy and stuff. The “Scoutmaster” brought A&A once and we had a blast! He made a compilation of classical war music and brought it too. (“Mars” “Imperial Death March” and others.) That really gets you going you ought to try it! I was hooked.

• Ha, haven’t seen you for awhile. :wink:

Teaching tactical war history at church!? Isn’t this like forbidden or something?

• I forgot my password and was running around on the keyboard like a chicken with it’s head cut off until I decided to check that email thing that you get when you first start your account. :oops: Anyway, I’m back.

It is not your typical church, and besides, it wasn’t actually during church… I guess it does sound strange, we had fun though! :D

• '19 Moderator

I belive military topics are quite popular in some religons, the mormons for one. At least that is what I understand.

• Nah, I was just teasing about the the church stuff. It’s just that most religions are like, “fighting is wrong!” :wink:

Anyways Bang, great ta have ya back. :roll:

• It really ticks me off when Christians say that war is wrong. I agree that many wars are wrong, started for stupid reasons by stupid people, but there does come a time when “right” must be upheld against the “wrong”. A lot of times it comes down to a moral decision, and if the Church was doing it’s job we wouldn’t take a whole lot of time deciding!

• Ha, it just depends what religion is more “right” to make moral decisions. However, there are sometimes war is inevitable and can’t just sit around and condone what is going on.

• @bangalore:

It really ticks me off when Christians say that war is wrong. I agree that many wars are wrong, started for stupid reasons by stupid people, but there does come a time when “right” must be upheld against the “wrong”. A lot of times it comes down to a moral decision, and if the Church was doing it’s job we wouldn’t take a whole lot of time deciding!

The Roman Catholic Church is a very hypocritical body. It claims that war is wrong and that killing is wrong yet it let millions of Jews die in Hitler’s gas chambers and in history it always supported the attacks on Jews. The Church is very hyproctritical and very corrupt. A good book for anyone who wants to know about The Roman Catholic Church during World War 2 is Hitler’s Pope.

Another interesting history topic is Jewish history. It’s very long and very sad, but very interesting too.

Now I will talk about my first game of Axis and Allies. It happened a few months ago, actually. It was when I was studying World War 2 in school that my friend burned me a copy of the game and I’ve been playing since. I had seen it and learned about how it worked before but I didnt actually play it for myself until I got the game. I played as Japan first and didnt do too well. Once Germany fell, I was quickly defeated, but it was a good game. In a few days I began to do much better at it and in my frist game as Great Britain, I won. That was on hard mode. Since then I’ve been working to improve my strategies.

• Well the issue on the Pope during WWII (what was his name again?) is still hotly debated even today. Some people say the Pope did all he could without raising Hitler’s wrath.

Oh, so you’re still a rookie, eh? It’s intresting to see people new to the game and how they react to it.

PS: Burning games is wrong! :evil: Go restore your dignity by buying the board game! That’s what all the good A&A player have. :roll:

• Grew up in a small town called Cotulla, Texas and two guys one an elder at my church and the other a English Teacher played this board game and I always wanted to know what took so damn long. So asked to join and of course at that age I didnt even really appreciate the game… now I love the classic battle. Played online for a year or so and now im back. Once someone answer my post about how to fix game… hehe

Lee

btw the two men were Bill Cotulla and Michael Beyers

• Sort of the same with me. My first game was when I was 10, and I really didn’t start playing competitively until I finally got my own copy of A&A (previously I had to go to my cousins house to play) when I turned 15. Since then, A&A has been more of a off again on again relationship, though with A&A.org I can share my A&A thoughts with the rest of the fellow gamming community.

• My first game was between myself and my older sister. I had recieved Axis & Allies for my eleventh birthday, I believe, but I had definate trouble finding anyone to play. Eventually I convinced my sister and we proceeded with the first game (she has attempt to play me very few times since). Unfortunately the details have been lost in my memory, but I believe I was the axis and got my ass thoroughly kicked; more than likely it was a terrible game, but I’m glad I had the experience.

• Damn! Bossk you have like the exact same story as me! Except instead of sister, it’s brother, and instead of 11, it’s 15. :lol:

• Ha, great stories – all of them! :D
    These are some of the greatest post I have ever read for sure.

Bossk, at least I know there’s someone who can share the pain and humiliation of being beat by the opposite gender. And sometimes by more than one at the same time!

So far I know I’m not the oldest A&A player, but I think I’m the youngest. Unless… somebody can top (or should I say lower?) age 10.

Chris, I also have a older brother so I got the worst of both worlds! (Though me and him were on the same team, so we both lost :oops: )

Also, I’m wondering if any first time players actually pulled off a victory. So far it’s been total beatdown (including me) on part of the other side.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m