• i’m curius to know every one’s faverite world war 2 battle of study. thats batles that you like reading about, watching movies about and understanding the stratagy behind.

my favs are Operation Market Garden and The battle of Ortona.

• D-day, El Alamein, Tobruk, and Pearl Harbour. I remember when I could quote the Japanese fleet units for the Dec. 7th attack. Actively read about the desert war last year. Got 3 books on Rommel. Haven’t read any this year so far…

• The Siege of Leningrad and how it was broken, the Battle of Kursk, the Battle at Stalingrad.

• … plus Battle of the Bulge and the race for the Rhine brigdes plus the fightings around it.

• i’ve got to add midway to my list.
    marked the turning point of the war and was won almost completly on luck.

• Hey MP, what’s Operation Market Garden?

• My three favorite battles to study are Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge, and the Battle of Berlin.

“To die is to die, but to live is to fight.”

[ This Message was edited by: Candyman67 on 2002-06-09 11:04 ]

• operation market garden: Southern Holand September 1944, it was the allies atempt to bring an early end to the war by driving through holand to get around the sigfreid line. but in order to do that they needed to capture the 5 bridges along the one highway to germany. so they air droped the largest amount of paratroopers from the 82nd the 101st the british 1st and the polish 1st airborne units and then had British xxx corps (tanks) drive up to relive the airbournes.
    they did not know about the 2 ss panzer divions in Holand at the time. the allies never got across the Riene in arneme. they took around 17,000 casultys

• Anything that involves Patton :grin:

Favorite one is Battle of the Buldge where Patton somehow relieved the 101st with only 3 tank divisions against a ring of German Panzers!

But it does make me mad how Patton could’ve ended the war much quicker Late 1944 if not for Monty and his damned Operation Market Garden, which led to the abandonment of 8,000 Allied airmen. Won’t get into detail about it since that’s Mini’s reply, but play MoH for a good dose of what the Allies had to go through.

Oh, and the Eastern Front 1944-1945 when the Germans were in full retreat. The The Battle of Sellow Heights and the Battle of Berlin are all great battles (along with some Me-262s and “super” tanks) against the superior Russian force. “With or Backs to Berlin” is a good read if you want to know more about it.

If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, thumbing my nose at You Know Who. - Bokonon

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-06-09 11:38 ]

• I like the battle of Berlin mainly cause of the German valor displayed even to the bitter end. Even German naval units were still bombarding Soviet lines to the very end. That’s amazing.

• As for Patton ending the war by 1944, that is a bunch of hype. The supply lines were so far stretched after the race across France, they needed time to pause and wait for supplies, mainly fuel, to catch up.

• But if Operation Market Garden had never occured, there would of been enough supplies to reach Berlin. However, the Allies had only enough supplies for one campaign. THey chose Monty.

• I love reading about the Japaneese victories in the first month after Pearl Harbr.

• I would say my favorites are Midway, and Normandy. Oh, and hello to everyone here, figured I would sign up and chat since I look at this stuff often.

• Welcome :smile: Guten Tag

Midway, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, the Burma Campaign, the fall of Sinapore, all good, bloody battles in the Pacific.

• sdrastvyecha, moy drook. Always good to have new people. I enjoy the Eastern front, especially Kursk and Stalingrad. I’d like to learn more about Burma though, it looks quite fascinating. Air campaigns were probably the first thing to catch my interest though.

• Velcomin,Herr Mitchell,
    I like all of them.
    Re: Pearl Harbour - I will always point out the stupidity of the Japanese Command for not destroying the oil storage and refinery facilities of the Hawaiian islands as it would have set the US supply line back 2,000 miles.
    –-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Turn of the water sprinkler the party’s over.” - Correct and identify that Quote.

• The Japanese should’ve hit the repair facilities and oil storage tanks, which probably would’ve gave the Japanese several more months for operations. However, the Japanese gave up their attack after the second wave met American resistence. IMO, they should’ve pressed their advantage as there was nothing else that the Americans couldn’ve done about it. Even if the US’s AC task force out in manuevers and unloading duties were to arrive, they probably still would’ve been defeat.

North Africa is another campaign that deserves a case study by its own, at least until after the battle of El Alemin (sp).

If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, thumbing my nose at You Know Who. - Bokonon

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-06-13 20:16 ]

• Yeah, the Japanese should have captured Honolulu, it would have set back the lines in the Pacific, given the Japanese another fortified island, and it would have kept the Americans from repairing/salvaging many of the boats and planes. And of course using the ones missed by the attack.

• @mini_phreek:

i’m curius to know every one’s faverite world war 2 battle of study. thats batles that you like reading about, watching movies about and understanding the stratagy behind.

my favs are Operation Market Garden and The battle of Ortona.

Stalingrad is the most interesting. The Italian campaign too. Kursk, the air war…Invasion of russia…its all good.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m