Have some questions about global 1939, seeking ppl that have it.

• I’m looking for info from ppl that have bought/played 1939 (koba etc…), or the creators.

I just bought this game, and should get it in about a week or so. I printed off the rules and set-up cards. It looks awesome, and we can’t wait to dig in. I ordered some 12 sided dice, but held off on ordering the unit package at $149.00. Not saying it isn’t worth it, but I have G40, and several other AA games, so I think I can come up with enough units to play even if I have to steal stuff from other games for fortifications etc…

I have some questions if someone wants to jump in that has played please let me know if I’m on the right track.

Seeing the board set-up on Board Game Geek with all the different colored units for every power under the sun looks pretty cool, but from what I get from the rules probably isn’t necessary to play.

1a) Reading through the rules, all the multi national pro-axis neutral units (mostly in Eastern Europe) eventually work as one power under Germany (they are essentially German units in every way). There are some rules that apply to the individual axis minors as far as when they can attack depending if the axis control Greece or Yugo etc…  There are no movement (NCM) restrictions on them once activated though (only combat moves), so it looks like we will have to track their movement until restrictions are lifted, then possibly merge them one at a time into one minor axis power (just for ease of stacking etc…). There is even an optional rule for just swapping them out for German units, but I think I will keep them as one minor axis power (all one color) that fights w/Germany. These minor powers have a limited set income, so will only be producing base units for the most part. I plan on using the medium gray German units I have from Revised or Classic (maybe paint/mark a couple German mech so they can buy them too). Will this work?

1b) The income from any territories these axis minor nations capture goes to Germany, and Germany can also build on them, so you could just use a German control marker on captured territories regardless of what minor axis power took it. So there doesn’t seem to be need for control markers for each individual axis minor power (did I miss something?)

2c) Question about the minor axis powers and war w/Russia. Are the minor axis powers politically tied to Germany (rules a little fuzzy) when going to war w/Russia. If one of them DOW on Russia, does it put Germany at war w/Russia too. If not, then does it allow the Russians to DOW on Germany. (I’m a little confused):

I understand Finland (w/German units) can fight Russia on Finish soil, but would need a German DOW to attack Russian tt’s. The other minor axis powers are unclear to me.

Take Romania for instance, rules say:
    “Activated by German occupation. No attacks can come from Romania, or Romanian units until at war with Russia”.

When it says “until at war w/Russia” does this mean a German DOW, or can the Romanians DOW on the Russians, w/o bringing the Germans in? How does Russia respond. Can they DOW Germany if at war with an axis minor power.

1. It says the pro allied neutrals would be “absorbed” by the power that activates them. So the units could be swapped in favor of the power that activates them instead of using many different colors (and remembering whose they are). I have lime green UK units from revised to use as Polish units (if we use them as their own power). Could also use these greenish UK units to distinguish the pro allied nations activated by UK. I also have some dark green (older US units), and some reddish brown (old Russian) that could be used for countries activated by the US or Russia. From what I get from the rules this isn’t necessary to play, but would be cool just to track these minor allies movement though out the war (none start w/mech, but I’ll have to come up with a couple cruisers for both sides). Does this sound ok?

2. We’ll have to decide how the UK will play out (somewhat confusing with so many choices). How are you guys playing the UK, and the commonwealth powers? Are you keeping some strictly UK (like Canada & S Africa), or having them all be individuals as for as econ caps, and building units?  Are you guys using Anz units as all the UK minor powers including Canada, S Africa, FEC, and well Anzac? Sounds cool to allow the UK to also build with them. Would like some input on what you guys have done.

3. I’ll come up with something for Vichy units, just to be able to invoke the Vichy rule (sounds really cool rolling dice to see what happens). I understand under this rule the Vichy ground units can’t move and will only defend (with axis units if they are there).
      If Vichy ends up with navy units are they moved to and stuck at port (sea zone next to Vichy territory), or are they allowed to move? My guess is they could be stuck at port.

4. I plan on using the yellowish/peach colored Japanese units I have for Siam inf, and I have some units to use for Commie Chinese inf.

5. For each powers special units I’ll probably just place a control marker under them, or mark them in some way. (I know it’s lame, but hey I don’t want to spend more $ right now). I was also thinking about not using these special units in the first game (or two), just to get our feet wet. They sound very cool, but there is a lot going on that we will need to adjust to. Has anyone not used special units when playing.

6. Also saw Jeremie’s version that basically uses G40 rules w/6 sided dice (I’m assuming the latest Alpha).  Has anyone played this version?

BTW I think how the US & Russia roll dice each turn to build up to full production to DOW is awesome. I also like how certain events add to this production level (for the US). Really looking forward to seeing this play out.

For now I don’t plan on using tech, the oil rules, or other optional rules (have enough to think about LOL)

Am I missing something? I want to be ready for when this game shows up at my door.
    Please comment on if I’m on the right track, or if there is something I haven’t considered. I’ve read, and re-read the rules, but there is a lot of stuff going on, so I could easily over look some stuff.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '12 '11

@WILD:

I’m looking for info from ppl that have bought/played 1939 (koba etc…), or the creators.

I just bought this game, and should get it in about a week or so. I printed off the rules and set-up cards. It looks awesome, and we can’t wait to dig in. I ordered some 12 sided dice, but held off on ordering the unit package at $149.00. Not saying it isn’t worth it, but I have G40, and several other AA games, so I think I can come up with enough units to play even if I have to steal stuff from other games for fortifications etc…

I have some questions if someone wants to jump in that has played please let me know if I’m on the right track.

Seeing the board set-up on Board Game Geek with all the different colored units for every power under the sun looks pretty cool, but from what I get from the rules probably isn’t necessary to play.

1a) Reading through the rules, all the multi national pro-axis neutral units (mostly in Eastern Europe) eventually work as one power under Germany (they are essentially German units in every way). There are some rules that apply to the individual axis minors as far as when they can attack depending if the axis control Greece or Yugo etc… Â There are no movement (NCM) restrictions on them once activated though (only combat moves), so it looks like we will have to track their movement until restrictions are lifted, then possibly merge them one at a time into one minor axis power (just for ease of stacking etc…). There is even an optional rule for just swapping them out for German units, but I think I will keep them as one minor axis power (all one color) that fights w/Germany. These minor powers have a limited set income, so will only be producing base units for the most part. I plan on using the medium gray German units I have from Revised or Classic (maybe paint/mark a couple German mech so they can buy them too).Will this work? It does for me, I am using the medium grey for the pro-Axis and the lime green for pro-UK from Revised too.

1b) The income from any territories these axis minor nations capture goes to Germany, and Germany can also build on them, so you could just use a German control marker on captured territories regardless of what minor axis power took it. So there doesn’t seem to be need for control markers for each individual axis minor power (did I miss something?) I use a german control marker.

2c) Question about the minor axis powers and war w/Russia. Are the minor axis powers politically tied to Germany (rules a little fuzzy) when going to war w/Russia. If one of them DOW on Russia, does it put Germany at war w/Russia too. If not, then does it allow the Russians to DOW on Germany. (I’m a little confused): The way I use this rule is that only Germany can DOW w/Russia. So the minors axis power can’t DOW on Russia and Russia can only DOW Germany when it reaches full production, if it wants to.

I understand Finland (w/German units) can fight Russia on Finish soil, but would need a German DOW to attack Russian tt’s. The other minor axis powers are unclear to me.

“Activated by German occupation. No attacks can come from Romania, or Romanian units until at war with Russia”.

When it says “until at war w/Russia” does this mean a German DOW, or can the Romanians DOW on the Russians, w/o bringing the Germans in? How does Russia respond. Can they DOW Germany if at war with an axis minor power. As per 2c, by a German DOW. That’s the way I play it. Will see If I am wrong or not when we get an answer from Tigerman.

1. It says the pro allied neutrals would be “absorbed” by the power that activates them. So the units could be swapped in favor of the power that activates them instead of using many different colors (and remembering whose they are). I have lime green UK units from revised to use as Polish units (if we use them as their own power). Could also use these greenish UK units to distinguish the pro allied nations activated by UK. I also have some dark green (older US units), and some reddish brown (old Russian) that could be used for countries activated by the US or Russia. From what I get from the rules this isn’t necessary to play, but would be cool just to track these minor allies movement though out the war (none start w/mech, but I’ll have to come up with a couple cruisers for both sides). Does this sound ok? It does because that’s what I do. :wink:

2. We’ll have to decide how the UK will play out (somewhat confusing with so many choices). How are you guys playing the UK, and the commonwealth powers? Are you keeping some strictly UK (like Canada & S Africa), or having them all be individuals as for as econ caps, and building units? Â Are you guys using Anz units as all the UK minor powers including Canada, S Africa, FEC, and well Anzac? Sounds cool to allow the UK to also build with them. Would like some input on what you guys have done. I play them all ( commonwealth ) as individuals for econ caps and building units. I use the UK units for Canada,South Africa and FEC though, might change my mind in futur games.

3. I’ll come up with something for Vichy units, just to be able to invoke the Vichy rule (sounds really cool rolling dice to see what happens). I understand under this rule the Vichy ground units can’t move and will only defend (with axis units if they are there).
      If Vichy ends up with navy units are they moved to and stuck at port (sea zone next to Vichy territory), or are they allowed to move? My guess is they could be stuck at port. I use Vichy and Free French roundels for the French units after the fall of France and the Vichy ships are stuck at port.

4. I plan on using the yellowish/peach colored Japanese units I have for Siam inf, and I have some units to use for Commie Chinese inf. Same here.

5. For each powers special units I’ll probably just place a control marker under them, or mark them in some way. (I know it’s lame, but hey I don’t want to spend more $ right now). I was also thinking about not using these special units in the first game (or two), just to get our feet wet. They sound very cool, but there is a lot going on that we will need to adjust to. Has anyone not used special units when playing.  I am using special roundels for those units or different colors ( like red Japanese units for vet infs and vet fighters/tac bomber etc ).

6. Also saw Jeremie’s version that basically uses G40 rules w/6 sided dice (I’m assuming the latest Alpha). Â Has anyone played this version? Not me…

BTW I think how the US & Russia roll dice each turn to build up to full production to DOW is awesome. I also like how certain events add to this production level (for the US). Really looking forward to seeing this play out. Love it too

For now I don’t plan on using tech, the oil rules, or other optional rules (have enough to think about LOL) Same here again.

Am I missing something? I want to be ready for when this game shows up at my door.
    Please comment on if I’m on the right track, or if there is something I haven’t considered. I’ve read, and re-read the rules, but there is a lot of stuff going on, so I could easily over look some stuff. So far I think you are right on track. I also use the battle bucks from HBG and a bigger production chart for all the major powers, a chart that goes at least to 100, and I did past that limit with one or two powers already. Dice towers or something to catch the dice ( box cover, whatever ), because if someone throw the dice on the map… Of course lot of space around the map if feasible ( for the money, units, spare IC, AA arty, ports,airfields etc ) for each players, or a small side table for more or less each players. I do put some plexiglass on top of the map, more $ though but worth it.

Hi Wild Bill,

Check my answers in red.

If I am off the track with my answers, I hope Tigerman will put me back on. Enjoy.

J. 8-)

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

@WILD:

I’m looking for info from ppl that have bought/played 1939 (koba etc…), or the creators.

1a) Reading through the rules, all the multi national pro-axis neutral units (mostly in Eastern Europe) eventually work as one power under Germany (they are essentially German units in every way). There are some rules that apply to the individual axis minors as far as when they can attack depending if the axis control Greece or Yugo etc…  There are no movement (NCM) restrictions on them once activated though (only combat moves), so it looks like we will have to track their movement until restrictions are lifted, then possibly merge them one at a time into one minor axis power (just for ease of stacking etc…). There is even an optional rule for just swapping them out for German units, but I think I will keep them as one minor axis power (all one color) that fights w/Germany. These minor powers have a limited set income, so will only be producing base units for the most part. I plan on using the medium gray German units I have from Revised or Classic (maybe paint/mark a couple German mech so they can buy them too). Will this work?

I don’t see a problem with how you are doing this. I got the Axis Minors pieces from HBG and keep them separate. I find it usefull sometimes to save up the income on one or more and then buy a infantry and artillery or mech and artillery. Also, the the group I play with sometimes lets a novice control the Minors (under the German player’s “guidance”, of course.

1b) The income from any territories these axis minor nations capture goes to Germany, and Germany can also build on them, so you could just use a German control marker on captured territories regardless of what minor axis power took it. So there doesn’t seem to be need for control markers for each individual axis minor power (did I miss something?)

I just use the German markers too but have sets for the Minors if they are used by a separate player

2c) Question about the minor axis powers and war w/Russia. Are the minor axis powers politically tied to Germany (rules a little fuzzy) when going to war w/Russia. If one of them DOW on Russia, does it put Germany at war w/Russia too. If not, then does it allow the Russians to DOW on Germany. (I’m a little confused):

Germany does all the declaring. No Axis Minors declare war on their own. If USSR declares war against Germany, it’s on.

Yep, Germans can fight beside Finns against Soviets if USSR attacks Finland, but a German DOW (or USSR DOW against Germany) is necessary to attack USSR with Finland or other minors.

When it says “until at war w/Russia” does this mean a German DOW, or can the Romanians DOW on the Russians, w/o bringing the Germans in? How does Russia respond. Can they DOW Germany if at war with an axis minor power.

German DOW on USSR or USSR DOW against Germany.

1. It says the pro allied neutrals would be “absorbed” by the power that activates them. So the units could be swapped in favor of the power that activates them instead of using many different colors (and remembering whose they are). I have lime green UK units from revised to use as Polish units (if we use them as their own power). Could also use these greenish UK units to distinguish the pro allied nations activated by UK. I also have some dark green (older US units), and some reddish brown (old Russian) that could be used for countries activated by the US or Russia. From what I get from the rules this isn’t necessary to play, but would be cool just to track these minor allies movement though out the war (none start w/mech, but I’ll have to come up with a couple cruisers for both sides). Does this sound ok?
      Sounds good. I do the same with the Axis Minors.

2. We’ll have to decide how the UK will play out (somewhat confusing with so many choices). How are you guys playing the UK, and the commonwealth powers? Are you keeping some strictly UK (like Canada & S Africa), or having them all be individuals as for as econ caps, and building units?  Are you guys using Anz units as all the UK minor powers including Canada, S Africa, FEC, and well Anzac? Sounds cool to allow the UK to also build with them. Would like some input on what you guys have done.

The UK/Commonwealth is always played by two players. Usually split with one player as UK/ANZAC and another as Canada/FEC  we don’t use South Africa as a seperate country and it falls under the UK. Canada, UK, ANZAC, FEC have their own painted pieces. They have the option to act in concert (and they do).

1. I’ll come up with something for Vichy units, just to be able to invoke the Vichy rule (sounds really cool rolling dice to see what happens). I understand under this rule the Vichy ground units can’t move and will only defend (with axis units if they are there).
      If Vichy ends up with navy units are they moved to and stuck at port (sea zone next to Vichy territory), or are they allowed to move? My guess is they could be stuck at port.

Rolling for Vichy is a gas. Vichy pieces do not move.

1. I plan on using the yellowish/peach colored Japanese units I have for Siam inf, and I have some units to use for Commie Chinese inf.
      Can’t say I use separate Siamese infantry, just place one Japanese regular per turn on Siam. My game does have separate Communist Chinese though.

2. For each powers special units I’ll probably just place a control marker under them, or mark them in some way. (I know it’s lame, but hey I don’t want to spend more $ right now). I was also thinking about not using these special units in the first game (or two), just to get our feet wet. They sound very cool, but there is a lot going on that we will need to adjust to. Has anyone not used special units when playing.

I am special unit addict. Use 'em all the time. Don’t blame you though for starting out slow. The game will seem kind of overwhelming at first.

1. Also saw Jeremie’s version that basically uses G40 rules w/6 sided dice (I’m assuming the latest Alpha).  Has anyone played this version?

I have not played this version. I love the d12.

BTW I think how the US & Russia roll dice each turn to build up to full production to DOW is awesome. I also like how certain events add to this production level (for the US). Really looking forward to seeing this play out.’

If you are the AXIS pay REAL close attention to those rolls and mind your moves. You might find yourself out of position for the USSR or US DOW if you don’t.

For now I don’t plan on using tech, the oil rules, or other optional rules (have enough to think about LOL)

Please comment on if I’m on the right track, or if there is something I haven’t considered. I’ve read, and re-read the rules, but there is a lot of stuff going on, so I could easily over look some stuff.

You’re definitely on the right track. Keep reading the rules. Read 'em again (and again……). Post questions/comments on this forum and Coach, Variable, Tigerman will reply. They’ve replied to questions I’ve asked while in game. There is a lot going on and it will take time to get familiar with everything. This ain’t your Daddy’s A and A.
    Radar makes some great suggestions.
    I propose that you make up a d12 battle board. Build your game little by little. A few Axis Minors here, some neutrals there, Italians, U.S. Marines, SS Panzers etc. I’ve been buying/painting custom pieces for my A and A games for close to two decades now (with no end in site). I recommend you paint your pieces, it really adds to the experience.

Remember that neutrals grow. Every turn they get more infantry.

I bought a bunch of plastic trays with dividers, one per country and a couple more for general pieces (factories, chips, money etc.) to organize things better. There are so many more pieces with Global that digging aroung in the A and A boxes was a bit of a pain.

• Thanks to both of you for taking the time to detail your answers which were in concert BTW. It’s good to go through these things ahead of time to get a better understanding of how things work, but I’m sure something will come up while playing. There is a lot going on with all the neutrals and minor powers, and yeah I will re-read the rules many times this week before the game gets here. I printed off the extra units list from HBG to double check my inventory. I will definitely makeup a battle board for the 12 sided dice, and chart production/VCs (normally do). I also have plastic tackle boxes w/dividers for the units of each power, but may need some more now (thanks). Good tips about the ever growing neutrals, and keeping on eye on the Russian/US prewar production. This will be a great experience, and just to think of some of the optional and house rules down the road WOW.

• '14

Thanks guys for answering all the questions for Wild Bill. From what I read you guys are correct on all fronts! I’ve not been able to get on the forum as much as I use too but hopefully that will change. I am glad you guys love the game!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m