Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• hahahahahaha! really?  ha! for real, will you paint a set for them then see where they kick as?

• Customizer

@cminke:

hahahahahaha! really?   ha! for real, will you paint a set for them then see where they kick as?

At most, I’ll do the same as I’m doing for the Union Jack UK and neutrals… Maybe 5-10 infantry. Nunca mas.

• maby a tank for the open setup?

• @cminke:

maby a tank for the open setup?

Ah, if only I had a camera high-res enough to do them justice, I’d show you guys my Canadians.
    I painted 2 infantry and a tank for the initial setup, and I think that’ll be good for the sake of simplicity.  The maple leaf is no harder than the ANZAC crown.
    Just a British infantry with the Canadian roundel at the base, the tank is just a British tank in camo with the Canadian roundel on the back.
    I also did a Yugoslav infantry (russian mold, painted differently with the red, white, and blue roundel at the base) and a Greek infantry (british mold with a grey uniform and a blue base with a white cross ala War At Sea Greek roundel).
    I think I’ll do an Iraqi infantry next after I finish my UK units.

• @robbie358:

@cminke:

Ah, if only I had a camera high-res enough to do them justice, I’d show you guys my Canadians.
    I painted 2 infantry and a tank for the initial setup, and I think that’ll be good for the sake of simplicity.  The maple leaf is no harder than the ANZAC crown.
    Just a British infantry with the Canadian roundel at the base, the tank is just a British tank in camo with the Canadian roundel on the back.
    I also did a Yugoslav infantry (russian mold, painted differently with the red, white, and blue roundel at the base) and a Greek infantry (british mold with a grey uniform and a blue base with a white cross ala War At Sea Greek roundel).

You need some finnish units to.

• Customizer

I’m not going to do any more nation specific units. Sorry guys - this project is already insane enough as it is, and I want to move on to some other things (like the custom cabinet box I’m going to make to store them).

Tell me what you guys think of this… I altered a Japanese mold tank for the Italian tanks… I’m not quite sold on it yet… If nothing else, I may just make a mold of the A&A:50th Italian tank and cast them.

Japanese Mold (front) and my altered version

Altered Tank vs A&A:50th Mold

Front & Back

• Customizer

@robbie358:

@cminke:

The ANZAC crown was the bane of my existence for four hours…

• is it just me or is the barrel on the Italian tank huge

• I don’t think anything that is 4mm should be considered huge  :lol:

• If you ask me, I think you did a pretty darn good job on that modification to make a Japanese tank into an Italian tank!  Maybe just trim the barrel back a tiny little bit and once you’ve painted them I don’t think it’ll even be readily noticable that it was modded!

• i ment the thickness

• Boy you are setting up jokes left and right aren’t you?  :-D

• Customizer

It’s not the size of the barrel that matters, it’s the accuracy and rate of fire.

• @maverick_76:

Boy you are setting up jokes left and right aren’t you?  :-D

I held back Maverick….  :lol:

• Customizer

A few notes on the Italian Infantry:

They are the poorest quality of all the A&A infantry molds I’ve worked with. I’ve had to patch the right shoulder and butt of almost every soldier, as well as having a nightmare with a huge mold mark on the left side of the face. Lots and lots of extra scraping… Despite, they’re about 60% finished (still have to paint the bases, guns, and leather belts/satchels.

On a different note, as a side project, I just finished painting my ‘Fury of Dracula’ board game miniatures. If anyone is interested, you can check them out at Board Game Geek:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/20963/fury-of-dracula.

• So you would consider the AA50 Italian units to be the definitive Italian molds in the game then?  Just curious.

• Customizer

@robbie358:

So you would consider the AA50 Italian units to be the definitive Italian molds in the game then?  Just curious.

Well they’re the same sculpt… I suppose it’s just that they are either the hardest molds to fill or something like that. I assume the A&A50 infantry had the same issues.

• @allworkandnoclay:

A few notes on the Italian Infantry:

They are the poorest quality of all the A&A infantry molds I’ve worked with. I’ve had to patch the right shoulder and butt of almost every soldier, as well as having a nightmare with a huge mold mark on the left side of the face. Lots and lots of extra scraping… Despite, they’re about 60% finished (still have to paint the bases, guns, and leather belts/satchels.

On a different note, as a side project, I just finished painting my ‘Fury of Dracula’ board game miniatures. If anyone is interested, you can check them out at Board Game Geek:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/20963/fury-of-dracula.

Wow man, those are impressive, very good work! I like the cobblestone on the bases.

• Customizer

First of all, Fantastic work! Second I wonder if you could post a picture of the brushes you use, particularly the ones used for the numbering on the vehicles. Perhaps along side of a fighter for scale reference? Do you mod your brushes or use them as is? I have never seen brushes that small but my experience is limited, I have just started doing this sort of thing myself in the last year.

• @allworkandnoclay:

@robbie358:

So you would consider the AA50 Italian units to be the definitive Italian molds in the game then?  Just curious.

Well they’re the same sculpt… I suppose it’s just that they are either the hardest molds to fill or something like that. I assume the A&A50 infantry had the same issues.

I just took a look at my AA50 Italian Infantry and yes, they do have those issues with the right shoulder and left side of the face.  The right shoulder looks like that’s where it was attached to the sprue perhaps.  Didn’t notice any problem with the butts though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m