• @JamesG:

Also, see this thread for some discussion of “Kill USA First”:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=16127.0

Holy crap, I didnt even think about that. I was performing convoy disruption to WUS and Mexico during rounds 3 & 4 and did not account the lost US IPCs. Now it wouldnt be 12 IPCs cause I didnt have that much value in ships, but it would probably be about 7 or 8 for two rounds.

• It’s really Theory & Allies when you get into point and counter point. You asked for a counter to your strat, and I gave you what I feel a decent US player would do in response. I see it as a horrible tactic, one that will doom Japan, we’ve born this out one night in four seperate games where Japan attempted to take the West Coast early on, luckily they were all fairly fast games, so we still had time to start what I would consider a real game.

Also on turn two when Japan moves to seazone 8 your combat ships cannot reach Hawaii, so it’s really not under threat now. My infantry calculation are based on:

3 Infantry in Western US
    2 in Hawaii
    2 in Phillipines (moved over with the transport)
    5 bought in turn 1
    8 bought in turn two
    7 bought in turn three
    5 bought in turn four (along with a tank and four fighters)
    –----
    32 Infantry

If you base your entire fleet off the west coast your trasports will be ripped apart by the US bombers, so IPC’s lost for the US will be more then made up for by the Japanese transport costs. This has been played out in a few of our games and the US has more then enough tools at their disposal to defend themselves.

Edit: Why would you assume I’d make that purchase in turn four, especially when I stated what I would buy for the US. You also seem to want to ignore the Anzac fighters in America. There is no reason not to fly them there. The DEI’s or Australia is certainly not under threat.

• Ah, right you are. There is a path to get all 4 ANZAC fighters up there in A4. You got me there :)

• I have succeeded with a “kill USA first” strategy before, but if the US player sees Jap is set up for this strategy, don’t you think they will be able to keep Alaska from being captured and held?  Even though they can’t enter/go through Brit. Col. until they are at war, they can still use naval blocking and land units/planes in Alaska, keeping Japan from gaining a landing zone, don’t you think?

• It doesn’t really matter if Alaska is kept or held. It’s all about diverting enough of Japans resources to a fruitless venture, while India and the Anzacs are cleaning up the south pacific. Once US switches to a wartime economy and Japan is still pulling in 30-35 IPC’s a turn it’s pretty much over. All your forces will be facing an American enemy that is out producing you while you steadily lose ground in Asia.

• This is simple to stop.

US1 DD block in SZ 7 & shuck some units to alaska.  Buy tanks with the US.  The key is to keep Japan from having an LZ for there planes to attack WUS with.  The moment Japan declares war the US can play hide & seek inside of canada to prevent Japan from having a place to put there planes.  No where for planes to land, no luck for Japan to win at WUS.

• UK and ANZAC would play a huge roll in this.  If they build 1 sub per turn and your entire navy is off the coast of the US, then they are free to roam the pacific doing convoy disruptions and killing your transports.  I think this would make the US attack unaffordable and result in a quick loss.  Not to mention, that the entire time you are ignoring them they are just refortifiying their defenses.

• Customizer

forgive me but what is the conveyor belt strat?

• @Gwlachmai:

It doesn’t really matter if Alaska is kept or held. It’s all about diverting enough of Japans resources to a fruitless venture, while India and the Anzacs are cleaning up the south pacific. Once US switches to a wartime economy and Japan is still pulling in 30-35 IPC’s a turn it’s pretty much over. All your forces will be facing an American enemy that is out producing you while you steadily lose ground in Asia.

Wrong.  If Japan is able to land all it’s planes in alaska and then attack USA with them, Wus will fall.  You can argue that Jap will have then lost against UK/ANZ/Chi, but it’s a tough argument since Japan gets one turn to spend 100+ IPC to replenish what it lost regaining Wus, and while it’s income is now only in the 40s, it no longer has to worry about the US and has a much more contiguous front against the rest of the Allies.  However, If the US player knows what’s coming, they should be able to hold on to Alaska.

• Japan can bring every plane it posses to the US, by the time they’re ready to attack, the Western US will be more then able to repel the attack. Obviously if the Western US falls Japan will likely win the game, even without the 40 IPC NO bonus. What does Japan bring in that can beat potentially 32 Infantry, a mechanized infantry, an arty, 2 tanks, 8 fighters (12 when Anzac fighters lands), 3 tac bombers, and 3 bombers? This force averages over 20 kills on the defense.

Every strat I’ve seen that involves an attempt to take the US involves the US player blithely ignoring any invasion signs and making poor purchases. If the Japanese fleet moves toward the US, assume an invasion is coming, heck if they mass up in Seazone 6 on turn one, assume it’s coming. It’s silly not too, the US is the primary adversary for Japan, you cannot afford to chance it falling. Feel free to post your strat on how to successfully invade the Western US, I’m sure it’ll be picked apart. I really think that the San Fran rush was likely extensively tested, and it’s just not going to happen against any kind of decent player.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m