• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Here’s something I’ve been working on. I apologize if someone has posted this in the past. If so, please link me to it. I don’t purport to be an original thinker. If it hasn’t great. Pick it apart and tell me how to fix it.

Basically the idea is to give preferential combat results to “better than needed rolls” like this:

A unit firing at a 1 has no change in the rules.
    A unit firing at a 2 hits a unit firing at a 1 with a 2, or a 2 with a 1.
    A unit firing at a 3 hits a unit firing at a 1 with a 3, a 2 with a 2, or a 3 with a 1.
    A unit firing at a 4 hits a unit firing at a 1 with a 4, a 2 with a 3, a 3 with a 2, or a 4 with a 1.

If the target that is hit is not available, you simply go upwards on the chart (i.e a 1 hits a 2 if no 1’s are targets).

I hope this makes sense. I’m having a tough time putting it into words…

So far, the only thing I don’t like is attacking fighters have to destroy all "3"s before they can hit defending fighters at a 4. But then again, your opponent would choose casualties this way anyway.

The purpose of this is to avoid all the infantry dying first every time. It’s way too unrealistic for me.

Thoughts?

• Well high infantry casualty rates aren’t all that unrealistic…. but I know what you’re saying.

I’d be tempted to tackle this with three rules:
    1. fighters must battle enemy aircraft before engaging ground targets
    2. aircraft cannot hold territory without a land unit (and AA doesn’t suffice for this rule)… so even if the enemy is wiped out the defending AC must retreat one space.
    and
    3. armour defends at 2 unless paired with infantry.

Now you’ll notice that rule #1 is vaguely written / elastic. So it’s up to the players how long this battle for air supremacy should last (one round or until only one side has AC) and if they fight at full combat values or SBR intercept values or whatever.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. :wink:

• I think that is a really good idea how about you battle test it and tell us how it works out :-)

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@spartan:

I think that is a really good idea how about you battle test it and tell us how it works out :-)

Okay, as soon as there is opportunity I will. Real life has taken over a bit lately  :|

• @Variable:

@spartan:

I think that is a really good idea how about you battle test it and tell us how it works out :-)

Okay, as soon as there is opportunity I will. Real life has taken over a bit lately  :|

darn real life! :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m