• 2007 AAR League

i’ve played the hell out of the european version, the pacific version, and the world version(revised)

what’s the next best step?

which one would you think is better than the rest out of these choices……

battle of the bulge
    D-day
    guadalcanal
    the new spring 1942 versions of the game(what exactly is different in these games from the old versions?)

any input would be helpful.  i’m getting one for this weekend so i’m in no rush  at the moment.  thanks for any advice.

• If you can stand the price tag, there are plenty of us enjoying Pacific40.  I have Pacific and Pacific1940 and the new game is much different than the previous game.  Also, this game has been made to join with Europe 1940 that will be released this summer.  You will get three games effectively when you buy the two.

This new game includes Cruisers, Mech Infantry and Tactical Bombers.  There are very different rules for subs and destroyers which capture the anti-submarine war that went on in both oceans.  The convoy rules combine with the sub and destroyer rules to make this all work great without adding too much detail for such a large scale game.

I strongly recommend you consider this option.

• A&A 50 is the one you need.

• Brief discussion from before Anniv, 42 and Pacific 40 came out.

I can’t really recommend D-Day.

BOTB is a very traditional style wargame and a radical departure from the other A&A games. Still my favorite.

Guadalcanal brings some of the aspects of BOTB a little closer to a traditional Axis and Allies game. Te movement mechanic makes the game feel fast paced.

Anniversary was a limited run and tough to find and running over $200 a copy on Ebay. Adds Italy and many rules changes and new concepts.

42 is essentially Revised only they  incorporate a lot of the rules changes from Anniv. (Haven’t played it yet and probably won’t as I have Anniversary.)

Pacific 1940 is an update of the earlier Pacific adding many new units and concepts from Anniv. It is supposed to combine with Europe 1940 due out this summer for the biggest global variant yet. (Haven’t got to play it yet either.)

• Customizer

AAA50, without a doubt the best edition out there.  Unfortunately, finding it at a reasonable price is the hard part.

• There is a guy selling it on ebay for $450. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. :-D

• @Brain:

There is a guy selling it on ebay for $450. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. :-D

Makes me wonder why I only bought one…

oh yeah… groceries, mortgage, utilities…

• @allboxcars:

@Brain:

Doesn’t it suck how life gets in the way of a good time.

• @Brain:

@allboxcars:

@Brain:

well yeah but that was last year.

Now, as we speak, I’m sitting inside a cardboard box under a highway overpass with six copies of AAP40 revelling in my sufficiency of Japanese tac air.

• Oh, I guess you thought AAP40 was going to be a limited edition as well.

• Customizer

@allboxcars:

@Brain:

@allboxcars:

@Brain:

well yeah but that was last year.

Now, as we speak, I’m sitting inside a cardboard box under a highway overpass with six copies of AAP40 revelling in my sufficiency of Japanese tac air.

Hehaeh… these past couple post gave me a chuckle - when I needed it (rough day).

• @Viracocha:

Hehaeh… these past couple post gave me a chuckle - when I needed it (rough day).

Relax, unwind and play a game of A&A. That should help.

• Customizer

@Brain:

@Viracocha:

Relax, unwind and play a game of A&A. That should help.

Right… poured out a pint… but no one to play with - guess I’ll just play with myself (that just never sounds good).

• It is always better to with your partner.

• The new 1940 Pacific game is a blast- there are a ton of options though.

For AA-50 you can download the rules and IL’s map and scrounge pieces from other AA games. I hear rumors and rumors of a reprint and hope they are true and also that it is a straight reprint rather than a cookie cutter lets save money one……Then again if you are lucky individual with a tax return coming and will have some left after the bills…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m