• '16 '15 '10

With regard to Baltic fleets and previous versions, it’s my opinion that in Revised, a Baltic AC plus fleet combine is a better strategy than an all land strategy if one is playing a novice-intermediate player (and sometimes buying 3-5 transports is better than the AC).  That is, less experienced players don’t know how to deal with it, and either overreact or leave themselves exposed.  However, you don’t see the Baltic AC as much in advanced-expert games.  But it is still a strong enough strategy that some experts use it as their base Axis game, and as I understand it from reading some old threads here, for a while the Baltic AC was considered a necessity among Revised players.

Naval strats like the Baltic AC work in Revised because transports are excellent multi-purpose units–they threaten landings and they are great naval fodder.  But it’s precisely the change in how transports work that make naval strategies tougher in AA50 and AA42.  The purpose of the Baltic fleet ought to be enabling Germany to use transports to dominate the Baltic and the North Sea…to easily get units to Karelia and Scandanavia etc…but the more Germany invests in transports, the more it is tied to defending this investment at all cost.

I would think the new and improved sub is the most interesting naval unit for Germany.  Inventing new sub strategies is going to be fun.  The other day I was playing a AA42 and my oppo built a Black Sea sub R1…an excellent idea it turns out!  Subs tend to surprise me all the time…it’s hard to break out of the Revised habit of never buying destroyers but buy them I must.

• @a44bigdog:

Keep in mind as well that Germany is adding to this fleet every turn until it is obviously out gunned by the Allies. At 50 IPCs Germany can dump 30 or so IPCs a turn if they feel like it and still out produce Russia in land units. Naturally when it appears the fleet will no longer be able to be maintained it is time to retreat all aircraft from it so they are not sacrificed.

The German fleet does many things that need to be considered.

1. Allows immediate movement of infantry from Germany to Karelia for trading or capture and hold.

2. Keeps Norway and Finland secure.

3. Threatens England and forces them to defend England instead of contesting Africa.

4. Forces the Allies (US and UK) to respond to its presence.

5. By quickly placing troops on Moscow’s doorstep it allows Japan time to get mobilized at which time Germany can go defensive if need be.

6. Protects the Italian fleet.

I am not saying that this is the ultimate sure to win every game in 42 strategy. It is however a strategy that can put the Allies in what so far looks to me to be a very bad situation.

I agree, bigdog.  I have reached precisely the same conclusions from my play experience.  If the fleet is abandoned, Germany will have a nightmare, being surrounded by allied fleets all around Europe.  Losing Norway and Finland means Russia is one TT from the feared 10 NO.  I have found a German fleet is usually a great idea in AA50.

• if you do what germany is supposed to do to the british fleet on g1 i like to build 4subs and one cv.that leaves the allies looking at 5subs 2 cruisers 1dd and 1tt.in sz5.how you like me now  :evil:

• In a game with NO`s, a German Baltic fleet+IC in France=Total German domination  8-)

• '22 '19 '18

How is the French IC anything more than a huge target for the Allies?  The only scenario I can see where that would be beneficial is an all out KGBF strat.  Is that what you are using it for?  What about Russia during this strat?

• @cond1024:

How is the French IC anything more than a huge target for the Allies?  The only scenario I can see where that would be beneficial is an all out KGBF strat.  Is that what you are using it for?  What about Russia during this strat?

If you build the IC in France as opposed to Poland, you get to produce twice as many units for the same initial investment of 15 IPCs.  So since the main German strategy is mostly to 1) pressure Russia while 2) surviving long enough for Japan to take out Russia, this allows Germany to do a better job of #2 as opposed to a #1 favoring Poland IC, while a France IC may still let Germany pressure Russia with extra troops regardless.

• My gaming circle has found no need for a bid system or any other revisions for '42, yet our games tend to favor neither side consistently. Using air in R1  to take out the Baltic fleet (too risky IMO) typically results in GER buying boats anyway, so RUS tends to focus on beating back GER on the front lines while it builds in preparation for pressure from JAP.

GER can clearly outproduce UK early, and thus amass a pretty healthy fleet before UK can get enough boats in the water to challenge it. In our experiences, the success of the G1 attacks on UK boats is critical. If the UK battleship survives, it is a nice centerpiece to build a fleet around. If, as usually happens in our games, UK is left only with the transport and cruiser in sz1, the GER fleet has the chance to exert great pressure on any UK fleet builds, protect Fra, and keep troops moving to Kar. Bad news for the allies, especially if an IC goes into Fra and the GER fleet can sail out to sz7.

A possible counter to this is to build 2 bombers in UK1 while waiting for the US bombers to arrive. That would mean in y2 the US and UK could have a combined 3 ftr and 6 bombers, plus any remaining boats, to harass the GER fleet. Additionally, UK and US can SBR GER relentlessly and annihilate the ITA fleet if the attack on the GER fleet doesn’t bode well.

• Good post, natures.

Fairly consistent with my experience and observations.  People who say Germany doesn’t buy fleet and shouldn’t buy a complex in France are still stuck on their strategies from previous incarnations of A&A, I think.  As you said, with Germany outproducing UK early (53 to 35 or something) and wiping out most of UK’s boats on G1, it makes sense to build a transport or two or three early, and with 3-4 transports, move major ground units (I usually move infantry and artillery only - let the tanks drive their way) to Karelia.

Well, bigdog’s post pretty much sets out the main bullet points for why a significant German fleet is very important.  I’m playing a game now where the Axis player did not buy any boats with Germany, and I destroyed them.  It was a huge boon to the Allies, that Germany did not buy any boats.  The old days of 24 IPC 1 hit battleships, 16 or 18 IPC carriers, and 12 IPC destroyers and total income of around 40 are over.  It’s a whole new world in AA50, and at long last, fleets with varied naval units are a normal part of the game - yay!  (Not to mention, improved shipyards)

• Love the strat on german navy. Having a big game tomorrow nite. will follow it and see how it pans out.
    Watch this space for a full write up.

• Turn 1 buy for Germany: 1 carrier, 1 transport, 2 tanks, and 2 infantry.  Gives Germany a mobile amphibious attack force that dominates the Baltic.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Turn 1 buy for Germany: 1 carrier, 1 transport, 2 tanks, and 2 infantry.  Gives Germany a mobile amphibious attack force that dominates the Baltic.

I agree - that is a good buy.  I usually play with tech, so buy at least 1 less tank than that - a first round tech can be devastating!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m