• Can someone who actually knows, please tell me why Italy starts with a transport, 2 cruisers and a battleship in both scenarios?

Is this really historically accurate?  I realize sometimes extra units are in the starting setup to portray particularly effective or powerful units…

Was I taught history by biased Americans who never mentioned the Italian navy, or did they actually have this fearsome navy?  Not to mention all their starting infantry and tanks?

Maybe the talk about adding UK units for bids could instead be reduced units for Italy?

Thoughts?

• '10

The navy was relatively large in size for a european country. It never really battled which probably explains why it is the same in both scenarios. Following the battle of Taranto the navy was extremely gun shy.

• @gamerman01:

Is this really historically accurate?

Its as accurate just as much as anything else in A&A is accurate.
    Italy was indeed a major Naval Power and early in the war the meditaranean was at threat of becoming an Italian lake.
    I cant find my copy of the 1941 Jane’s Fighting Ship at the moment, but in 1941 I know they had a number of battleships aswell as quite a few light and heavy cruisers.

After world war 1 along with the US, UK, Japan and France they agreed on limits to the size of their navy which was set at 175,000 tons.

They had 6 battleships at port in Taranto in 1940 when 21 British biplanes took out one and damaged two others, this severly weekend the Regia Marina.

• Thanks, Emperor.  I appreciate that.

• Why have the italian navy got glass bottoms on the ships?
    To wave at the last italian navy!

• That wasn’t a battle…it was UK pearl harbor. They flew in dropped bombs and ran away. Thats like calling Pearl harbor a battle. which is wasn’t.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

That wasn’t a battle…it was UK pearl harbor. They flew in dropped bombs and ran away. Thats like calling Pearl harbor a battle. which is wasn’t.

In fact, the Japanese used Taranto as a model for planning Pearl Harbor

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m