Pacific 1940 review copy has arrived

• '19

Probably too early to say that Japan acquires an unrealistic amount of IPCs.  Perhaps compared to anniversary but seems that this game everyone earns a lot more IPCs.

• @ksmckay:

Probably too early to say that Japan acquires an unrealistic amount of IPCs.  Perhaps compared to anniversary but seems that this game everyone earns a lot more IPCs.

That was my conclusion as well, considering that once the US enters the game, even if Japan has crushed china to one or two territories, the combined economy of the allies seemed to match them (not sure though)  At that point, if japan can’t keep up the momentum even that mass of cash won’t help with a 3 prong naval assault.  After each of the allies were geared for war it seemed that even all that mass of cash had to be spread too thin to try and counter the US fleet steaming from Pearl AND the British/Anzac offensives in the east indies and India.

• I suppose that ANZAC could prepare a fleet + troops to invade some money islands that aren’t defended (all those 4 ipc islands). Of course, Japan could crush them if he wants to dedicate alot of ressources. But then, she weakens herself in China and leaves UK unchecked. Let’s not talk about US that is only waiting for his time to enter the war.
    UK could prepare a powerful ground army to attack Japan. With its fleet, it should be able to force Japan into splitting her naval forces. And if I remember correctly, UK starts with like 3-4 airplanes in India right? That’s quite powerful.
    China seems to be the weakess. But with the new rules, I think China can put up a decent fight. It can lure away precious units and open a road for his allies.

I think Japan will have to adopt a balanced strategy. Hitting too hard somewhere can open some weaknesses elsewhere. But at the same time, hitting everywhere seems impossible. Especially with the huge map

• Customizer

this game has National Objectives right?

so that means japan will be making 70 in no time……

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes, but I never quite made it to 70 as Japan. I only got to 68. :-) The max anybody can get from National Objectives is 15 IPCs. USA might only be 5 but I don’t have the rulebook in front of me right now and I didn’t play USA.

@Veqryn:

this game has National Objectives right?

so that means japan will be making 70 in no time……

• Tell me David, are the NO’s optional, or part of the standard game ?

• I’m sure he will let you know Aldertag, er I mean Razor.

• Founder TripleA Admin

They are part of the standard game. If not, there would be no reason to go after the islands with no point values.

@Razor:

Tell me David, are the NO’s optional, or part of the standard game ?

• Man I cannot wait to get this! Hopefully the initial games have gone well……I’m kinda miffed that they skimped a little on some stuff, I know that they could have added some stuff, the game is ONLY $90 MSRP, and between $60-$80 preorder! And I’m being very sarcastic on ONLY!!!

• @djensen:

They are part of the standard game. If not, there would be no reason to go after the islands with no point values.

@Razor:

Unless they of a strategic value as in the old Pacific- but I understand, the NOs give you more incentive.

When is your next article on the rules and such???–I know, pathetic, like I can’t wait a week when I get the game. :lol:

• @djensen:

Guess what, D.J. Razor dont like the NO’s. They just dont fit. An island have a strategig value in itself, since you can build airfields and ports there. Also in this game we have convoys. And the classic system with IPC income from territories. Then Razor figure that NO’s will be like fat on butter. We dont need it, its just one more thing to keep track on. Razor will mail Larry tonight, the game is not out yet, it is still time to change the rules.

You think *Razor is kidding ? Look at the rational behind NO’s. Japan control Wake and get 7 IPC as NO. Usa control Wake and get 3 IPC as NO. Aussie control Wake and get 1 IPC as NO. India control Wake and get 0. Go figure.

• @Razor:

@djensen:

Guess what, D.J. Razor dont like the NO’s. They just dont fit. An island have a strategig value in itself, since you can build airfields and ports there. Also in this game we have convoys. And the classic system with IPC income from territories. Then Razor figure that NO’s will be like fat on butter. We dont need it, its just one more thing to keep track on. Razor will mail Larry tonight, the game is not out yet, it is still time to change the rules.

You think *Razor is kidding ? Look at the rational behind NO’s. Japan control Wake and get 7 IPC as NO. Usa control Wake and get 3 IPC as NO. Aussie control Wake and get 1 IPC as NO. India control Wake and get 0. Go figure.

I hear that you become much cooler when you talk about yourself in the third person- Altertag :wink:

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’ll try to post something tonight.

@questioneer:

@djensen:

@Razor:

Unless they of a strategic value as in the old Pacific- but I understand, the NOs give you more incentive.

When is your next article on the rules and such???–I know, pathetic, like I can’t wait a week when I get the game. :lol:

• I have a question
    since the is only one axis power wont japan get overwelmed by amount of allied turns in a row.
    Does Japan get multible turns or what?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Japan gets only one turn. I was not completely overwhelmed by the Allies in my first game.

• Does Japan get a surprise round like in the original A&A:Pacific where allies defense rolls all need 1s?

• thanks
    also i would always get argery when infitry took out the sniper bazokas and shot down my fighters.
    i thought of an optional rule that infitry have a weakened defence and attack ageinst aircraft unless accupened by a half track. like can not attack and have a 1 defence.

in ww2 they often had antiaircraft guns on the halftracks.

• Founder TripleA Admin

No.

@Cyprian:

Does Japan get a surprise round like in the original A&A:Pacific where allies defense rolls all need 1s?

• djensen gets my heisman vote

• stiffarmtrophy.com has correctly predicted the heisman for the last seven years, so far they have Ingram in the front running, with Gerhart right behind.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m